Campus time machine

sather
Carli Baker/Senior Staff

The Berkeley campus is always changing. Since Fall 2010, my first semester, I’ve seen the demolition of Campbell and Eshleman Hall, the construction of Li Ka Shing Hall and the retrofitting of Memorial Stadium. I’ve heard about countless other plans for our campus in the coming years, reminding that althought my time at Cal has helped defined me, I may come back to visit a campus that is vastly different from the one I attended.

Despite all the modifications and reconstructions Berkeley has had over the years, I believe that our campus has retained a strong sense of self. The students are the ones who hold our University accountable, who ensure that our campus reflects the desires and needs of it’s student population. One has to only learn the history of North Gate to see the power of our student voice to affect the foundations upon which our University stands on. As buildings and land forms transform to adapt to public education of the 21st century, we can trust that Berkeley’s spirit will sustain.

Archival photos are courtesy of the Bancroft Library.

hearsttt

Originally built as the women’s gym, Hearst Gym maintains the Classical Revival architectural style that is prevalent throughout the campus. It is also the only remaining building on campus built by famous architects Bernard Maybeck and  Julia Morgan. Morgan, was the first liscened female architect in California and is world-known for her work at the Hearst Castle in San Simeon, California.

Strawberry Creek

The history of UC Berkeley would not have been the same without the influence of Strawberry Creek. The original architect of the campus, Frederick Law Olmsted, imagined a park-like campus landscape which fully integrated the North and South forks of Strawberry Creek. Today the creek is thriving, due in large part to multiple student and staff efforts to replant native, riparian species to the watershed and decrease the trash and other debris that ends up in Strawberry Creek.

Sather Gate

The statue “The Football Players”,  located west of Dwinelle Hall was brought to Berkeley in 1900 after the Cal football team won back-to-back Big Games over Stanford in 1898 and 1899. The statue has remained in the exact spot for over a century, unchanged in time.

sather

Sather tower, Berkeley’s Campanile, is one of the most recognizable features of the campus proper. Built in 1914, the Campanile stand at 307 ft. tall and as of 2014, was the third tallest bell and clock-tower in the world.