Fan Huang’s Picks of the Week

Stress can be overwhelming with midterms, projects and papers on the horizon. Luckily for us, this week we can take a trip to Schoolboy Q’s Los Angeles, listen to local indie rock bands, watch an erotic French film or spend a relaxing afternoon with a comic book.

Schoolboy Q’s Oxymoron

Following his auspicious debut album, Habits and Contradictions, Black Hippy member Schoolboy Q takes an even grittier look back at his gangbanging years on the streets of Compton. With appearances by 2 Chainz and Kendrick Lamar and memorable beats by Pharrell and Tyler the Creator, Q’s major label debut hopes to capture the essence of West Coast hip-hop.

Noise Pop Festival

One of San Francisco’s biggest indie arts, music and film festival kicks off its 22nd year from Feb. 25 to March 2. The weeklong festival has more than 60 events located in 22 venues scattered throughout the sprawling streets of San Francisco. The festival, featuring headliners such as Lord Huron, Real Estate and No Age, will also include different interactive DIY events and art gallery shows.

Jean Luc-Godard’s “Une femme mariée”

Considered one of Godard’s most accessible works, “Une femme mariée” is a provocative film about a married woman who has an affair with another man. The film, heavily focused on modern sexuality, features racy scenes that the French Censure Commission recommended be banned. End your week with a French New Wave on Friday, and watch this film on Feb. 28 at the Pacific Film Archive.

‘The Shadow Hero’

Cal alumnus and graphic novelist Gene Luen Yang and illustrator Sunny Lieu are releasing their “The Shadow Hero” in a six-issue miniseries. The protagonist, Green Turtle, was originally an obscure comic book character by comic book veteran Chu Hing from the 1940s. He was originally conceptualized to become the first Asian American superhero, but the publishers objected. The first issue has been released digitally, and the next five will be released over the next six months.

Contact Fan Huang at [email protected].