5 unconventional ways to enjoy this rainy weather

tumblr_n1czcmmLQn1sawx73o1_400

Once you’ve lived in Berkeley long enough, you realize that this seemingly arbitrary rainy weather can be pretty annoying. Sometimes there’s so much rain we swear it’s monsoon season. And sometimes there’s that irritating, drippy rain that gets under your umbrella — the water form of someone pointing their finger very close to your face and saying, “I’m not touching you, I’m not touching you, I’m not touching you, OR AM I?”

There are ways, however, that you can avoid feeling irritable in this rainy weather. We’ve got a couple of relatively strange — actually, it’s only strange if you make it strange — ways that you can make this rainy weather way more fun than it actually is:

tumblr_m0upyb5KES1rqfhi2o1_400

Put on a bathing suit. You tend to not see people in bathing suits during any time of the year here at Cal, except for maybe during the summer when people start to swim and lay out on Memorial Glade. But how about changing it up a little bit? Throw on those swim trunks or that bikini — or maybe a tankini, if you’re feelin’ a little wild — and head to Memorial Glade. Set up your own slip and slide with a tarp and make all the people coming out of Evans extremely confused. (Warning: you may or may not get a cold.)

tumblr_n1gcnx8D9H1stb99no1_500

Re-enact “Singin’ in the Rain” on campus. This is exactly what it sounds like. Put on your dancin’ shoes (preferably rain boots), grab your umbrella and head out to Sproul Plaza. We suggest that you begin this re-enactment as soon as you leave your dorm or apartment for the day and start out with the song “Good Mornin.’ ” Grab hats from random people on the street, put them on your own head and sing to them while you jump in puddles and splash them. Once you get onto Sproul, swing around lampposts and engage in your “Singin’ in the Rain” number. Kiss random flier-ers as you prance, singing at the top of your lungs.

tumblr_mu9471xVNQ1rk6bsqo1_500

Have a melodramatic existential crisis at a cafe. We like this one because it allows you to embrace your rainy-weather sadness on a level that makes it seem so ridiculous that you might even laugh about it. Try going to Cafe Milano, sitting next to the window, listening to some James Blake and sighing very loudly so the people next to you notice. If someone gives you a weird look, just point out the window and say, “The rain, you know? Like what is…the universe? What are…we?” and then continue sighing audibly.

tumblr_lxyo9udPQP1r5hkuuo1_500

Be the only tabler or flier-er on Sproul. Usually when it’s raining, you’ll notice that there’s a very scarce supply of tables for organizations on Sproul. To make your organization stand out, go table in the rain. People will think that you’re dedicated (or crazy) and maybe take your fliers out of pity because you’re soaking wet! Everyone can appreciate those pity likes.

tumblr_m4snh7elQz1rvcpseo1_500

Pretend you’re Mary Poppins with your umbrella. An umbrella can be a really awesome prop if you make it one. If you’re walking with a friend and aren’t interested in the conversation you’re having, take out and open up your umbrella, begin singing  ‘Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” and act like your umbrella is pulling you away from your friend and toward the sky.

Image sources: sosimomsenlibertatraplordnorthminniestyxmtc-autumnstrangersinparis and x-aggerated

Contact Gabrielle Nguyen at [email protected].