Do you think your friends’ relationship will last more than 30 days? This app lets you bet on it

Screen Shot 2014-03-03 at 1.20.18 PM

Can you look at a couple and tell if they’re meant to be? Can you call it when a friend of yours is in a doomed relationship? Well, now you can put your money where your mouth is.

A new app called “Forever Not” allows you to bet virtual money on the shelf life of romantic relationships. It connects to your Facebook account and uses your friends list to populate the game. Imitating Tinder’s interface, “Forever Not” asks you to swipe left if you think the relationship in question will last more than 30 days or right if you don’t.

And some UC Berkeley students are already on board.

“I think it would be a fun thing to do on Facebook,” said sophomore Helen Hou, “but only once or twice a semester though … most people’s relationship statuses don’t change frequently.”

And because the app lets you rate your friends anonymously, you won’t have to worry about confrontation. The couple will have access to their relationship “stats” without knowing exactly whom they came from. And students such as Paul Tao greatly appreciate the anonymity. “The fact that it’s anonymous makes it all the better,” he says.

Granted, not everyone’s fully convinced. Freshman Khalid Shakor says, “I definitely wouldn’t do it … it seems a little weird.” And of course, there’s the possibility that the couple may break it off when they see that there’s been a negative response to their relationship.

But you don’t have to make things so personal. “Forever Not” allows its users to place bets on celebrity relationships. That way, you can play the game without risking dooming your best friend’s new relationship. Kim Kardashian and Kanye West don’t care what we think about their relationship, right?

“Forever Not” simulates real gambling as closely as possible: You are given the odds of the couple’s survival and can further analyze the relationship by following their interaction on Facebook. Released only a month ago, it has a rating of 4.5/5 stars on iTunes from about 19 ratings. You can try the app yourself here — now please excuse us while we bet on Kimye’s relationship.

Image source: Featured Image

Contact Mina Abdullah at [email protected].