Senator Rand Paul to address NSA collection, privacy rights at Berkeley Forum event

randpaul_GageSkidmore
Gage Skidmore/Creative Commons

U.S. Senator Rand Paul will speak at an event hosted by the Berkeley Forum next Wednesday, March 19. Paul, the Republican junior senator from Kentucky and a potential 2016 presidential candidate, will discuss the implications of NSA’s surveillance activities on liberty at the event, which will be held at 3:30 p.m. at Chevron Auditorium, International House.

Among other things, Paul will address the recent class-action suit he and former Virginia attorney general Ken Cuccinelli filed against the Obama administration and the NSA, the security agency’s collection of telephone metadata and privacy rights. Paul was first elected to the Senate in 2010 and is the son of former U.S. Representative Ron Paul.

The event is open to the public and is free to UC Berkeley students and faculty, with admission at $15 for community members. Tickets will be issued through an Eventbrite page, which can be found on the Berkeley Forum’s website. Doors will open at 2 p.m. for ticket-holders and 3 p.m. for walk-ins.

Sophie Ho is a news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @sophanho.