Street Style: Berkeley in Bloom

DSC_1239 v2

It’s that time of year again, when ASUC candidates flood Sproul and men march shirtless to Memorial Glade for a caz game of ultimate frisby. It’s springtime! Enjoying warm sunlight after an eternity of moody weather, UC Berkeley students snagged their first opportunity for some spring fashion. Floral prints  are in for yet another spring, denim jackets are now the layering piece of choice, and it seems that Rayban Clubmasters are the hottest piece of eyewear. Without further ado, here are seven of the university’s best dressed kids, teaching us what to wear for sunnier days.

(Pictured Above) Happy Lok’s combination of her light, whimsical floral and the heavier, earthier tone of her skirt is exactly how to pull off pattern mixing for the warmer weather.

The red corduroy jacket? A blue button-down shirt with a mushroom print? Everything that Matthew Gomez is sporting is so richly textured, telling a unique visual story on its own. However, it’s how the primary colors pop that elevates this outfit to a new level of cool. Piet Mondrian would approve.

Noah Romero’s formula: “stuff that fits, neutral colors, no logos and for as cheap as I can.” It’s advice that sounds simple, but it’ll take you far, judging from Noah’s look that strikes the perfect balance between polished and casual.

The PF flyers are just a bit punk, and the turtleneck’s a bit Beatnik. Whatever the influence, Chelsea Godder’s monochromatic outfit is a great, edgy alternative if you’re not feeling spring pastels.

Cool, blue tones for a cool girl. For one way to add visual interest to your outfit, try playing with silhouette as CALpirg representative Ikram Tecle does here by mixing something form-fitting with something looser and chunkier. It’s a great tip for guys too, as menswear designers continue to loosen up the silhouettes on the runway.

Hailing all the way from Berlin, Dominic Kuhn is excited to be in the States because of all the places to shop, saying “J. Crew. They don’t have that in Germany! Uniqlo too.” Combining a timelessly preppy rig with a more contemporary New Balance running shoe, Dominic would indeed look at home in a J. Crew catalog.

We caught Irene Tu shooting a parody ASUC candidacy video for TBT Comedy, and we were in love with her playful take on East Coast prep. If you’re not ready for the bow tie yet, a blue button down combined with olive chinos is a grade-A style move that anyone can pull off with ease.

For more Berkeley street style, be sure to check out the last issue of Fashion Fridays: Rain today, Spring tomorrow