The best ‘secret’ menu items to mix up your meal

We all know there is more than meets the eye to the menus at chain eateries. From the White Gummy Bear smoothie at Jamba Juice to Animal-Style sauce at In-N-Out, secret menus are hardly a secret anymore. But while we may have a chip on our shoulder (literally) as we wink at the cashier while ordering a Cheesarito at Taco Bell, can we really be sure we know it all? Have you ever heard of a Cake Batter Frappuccino from Starbucks? How about a McCrepe at McDonald’s? If you take a look at hackthemenu.com, you’ll discover a whole range of possibilities for secret menu items you could construct from the typical menu items. What’s even better is that the Berkeley locations of these franchises could whip up these items if you’re daring enough to order them. Newbie no more, these are the items you need to order next time you are feeling cryptic and hungry.

Subway

• Pizza sub: This is a perfect opportunity to combine two loves of the college student: pizza and a sandwich. Order a regular sub loaded with spicy pepperoni, tomato sauce, cheese and veggies of your choice.
  • Eggs Florentine flatbread: This is a healthy option for all those Subway-lovers out there. Make a breakfast sandwich with egg whites, red onion, banana pepper, spinach, black olives and Italian dressing. Create one to get a protein-packed breakfast on the way to campus.

Noah’s Bagels

975242545_faf30cc217_b

• Cinnamon raisin PB & J: Ask for a cinnamon raisin bagel and get peanut butter and jelly on top. If you’re feeling extra ballsy, get it toasted. Your 8-year-old self would be proud.
  • Spinach pesto grilled cheese: Pretend to be European. Order a toasted ciabatta roll, and add some fresh spinach, mozzarella and pesto. It’s a delight whether you’re grabbing a quick lunch before a 1 p.m. lecture or dinner before you hit the books.

Jamba Juice

4587981480_b154edafbd_b

• Lemon Dream Machine: This is one of the many ‘Dream Machine’ flavors from the Jamba Juice secret menu. Lemon Dream Machine is a mix of both lemon and lime flavor in a frozen yogurt and soy milk base.
  • Piña colada: Bring that Puerto Rican flair to Berkeley and order a piña colada, which is created by combining pineapple juice, sherbet, banana, frozen yogurt and coconut.
  • Peanut butter & jelly: Just in case you were too lazy to actually bite down into a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, order your drinkable solution made of soy milk, frozen yogurt, strawberries and blueberries.
  • Butterfinger: The Holy Grail of Jamba Juice secret menu items, this smoothie combines carrot juice, frozen yogurt, chocolate and peanut butter in one delicious concoction. 

Starbucks

5409622724_622d99ccaa_b

• Liquid Cocaine: Order a glass of ice in a grande cold cup, with four (yes, four!) shots of espresso and four pumps of white chocolate syrup. You’re sure to get a jolt before you head into Li Ka Shing Center for your much-too-long lecture or lab.
  • Vanilla Cream Pie Frappuccino: Buy a vanilla bean frappuccino, and ask for an extra pump of vanilla syrup, a pump of hazelnut syrup and a whole banana. Everyone loves pie, so why not blend it into a Starbucks drink? Go hard, dessert lovers.
  • Chocolate Dalmatian: No, this is not a new hybrid dog breed. It’s a fun name for a hot Starbucks drink. Order a white chocolate mocha and add chocolate chips and java chips to create this speckled masterpiece.

McDonald’s

8565235025_a182efd3e3_b

• McLeprechaun Shake: Did you miss all the St. Patty’s parties? Celebrate with a McLeprechaun, a combo of McDonald’s Shamrock Shake with a chocolate shake. Only available on the regular menu during the month of March, this gooey green concoction is brought to life by combining chocolate, mint, ice cream and a lot of corn syrup.
  • Big McChicken: Here’s a DIY project for all you carnivores out there. Order a Big Mac and three chicken patties, then switch out the Big Mac’s buns for the chicken. No word yet on whether or not the breaded chicken is really fewer carbs than the buns.
  • McCrepe: A gooey, purple and delicious mess, the McCrepe is a happy marriage between a yogurt parfait and a pancake. Order both a parfait and a pancake, and assemble it yourself. Maybe it’s not a true crepe, but it’s the cheapest, easiest alternative available to college students.

Image sources: .lucy, feministjulie, Zach Dischner, Albert Huynh and Roadsidepictures under Creative Commons

Contact Daniela Grinblatt at [email protected].