Inspired by Whole Foods: how to make sweet potato quesadillas

IMG_0432 copy
Michaela Swensen/Staff

Everything in the prepared foods section of Whole Foods looks amazing and professional. One item that stands out is the colorful sweet potato quesadilla. Why not try to make some yourself? Don’t be intimidated: Making one quesadilla only takes about 15 minutes, and you will only need access to a stove, two pots, a pan and a microwave.

Here’s what you’ll need to make one quesadilla:

1 sweet potato

1 whole wheat corn tortilla

1 can of organic black beans

Shredded cheddar cheese

Spinach

Olive oil

1/3 of a green bell pepper

1/4 of an onion

What you’ll do:

1. Chop up about 1/3 of a bell pepper and 1/4 of an onion.

2. Puncture the sweet potatoes with a fork. Cook them in the microwave for 3 to 4 minutes, then rotate and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.

3. Scoop the cooked sweet potato into a bowl and discard the skins. The sweet potato will be soft enough that you won’t need to chop it up.

4. Heat up some olive oil in a small frying pan. Saute the bell pepper and onion.

5. In a small pot, warm the beans on the stove. They’ll be heated again later when you add them to the actual quesadilla.

6. In a medium skillet, heat some olive oil on low heat. Add a tortilla, and evenly cover it with the shredded cheese.

7. Once the cheese is melted, add the cooked sweet potato, onion, pepper, beans and spinach to the quesadilla.

8. Fold the quesadilla in half, and cook both sides evenly.

These satisfying and filling quesadillas can easily be made vegan by omitting the cheese. Try cooking these for a quick, hearty and healthy meal.

Contact Martha Morrissey at [email protected].