Fashion Fridays: Somewhere Between Preppy and Punk

Cover Photo

As stormy clouds rolled in just in time for yet another rainy campaign season, UC Berkeley students traded their warm weather maxi dresses and shorts back for more appropriate layering. While some Cal students stayed true to the vintage prep look that was strong at the turn of the decade, edgy, monochromatic looks seem to have become the new cool on campus, influenced by some mix between grunge, punk and Alexander Wang.

Nora from Norway (above), full name Nora Thysse Westad, displays strong visual ties to her Scandinavian origins with her clean, minimal color palette. She rocks a strong outfit by playing with the chunky textures of her infinity scarf and her droopy wool cardigan, echoing the casual chic of her outfit with the perfect hair bun to match. How cool is that?

Baltazar Dasalla’s outfit has hints of streetwear, with his Nike roshes and the button-up untucked, but the true sartorial twist is in the metallic details that give him a grunge edge — the studded crosses, the chain necklace. Baltazar says that “I do a lot of art — so it usually comes from what I’m into at the moment. I’ve been working a lot with metal.”

Fred Nichols sets himself apart from the men with a truly dapper rig. The pants are mustard yellow, and the bow tie’s glen plaid, but the biggest conversational piece is his last-century esque sleeveless cardigan — “I found the cardigan at a co-op, so I threw on a bunch of buttons for a band stand look. I like it — it’s very dated.”

Jolisa Wilfong might be wearing the holy grail of band tees, with everyone from Supreme to Disneyland doing their own take on the iconic Joy Division – Unknown Pleasures design. Jolisa says, “I usually look to classics.”

“Basqiat, Pharrell, ASAP Rocky, Kurt Cobain” are some key style influences of Milo Miu, and his eclectic interest in both the subversive and the mainstream makes for a uniquely chic take on streetwear. The jacket plays on grungy military fashion, but the monochromatic colorblock sweater might just belong in an Alexander Wang collection. That Schoolboy Q bucket hat? Fresh as ever.

Eric Liu keeps it classic with some spring staples that will work for any college student’s wardrobe — white sneakers, slim khaki chinos and a chambray shirt. Speaking about his own style, Eric says, “I like a clean look. Preppy, but not that preppy.” Men and women can try his navy toggle coat to get into the seasonal nautical trend.

Darrin Wallace likes to take cool basics, which might belong in an American Apparel catalog, and then personalize with subversive details like rips in his light wash jeans. Plus, Darrin pulls off a purple varsity jacket like you’ve never seen before. Darrin says, “My biggest influence? Probably my mom — this is her jacket.”