How to successfully get out of bed in the morning when you really don’t want to

6040624392_5fe29b8dae_z

Let’s face it: the year is winding down. We’ve been very good for a very long time, and now we’re facing the consequences. As we gradually become more and more familiar with the snooze button and, yes, the annoyed glare of professors who don’t appreciate our late entrances, we also grow more desperate for options to help us get out of bed in the mornings.

Here are 11 ways to help you get up and get out, and a bunch of GIFs of people or animals totally failing at it.

1. Keep a glass of water next to your bed.

Not only does this get you into the habit of sitting up as soon as your alarm goes off every morning, but water helps relieve the grogginess.

Note: replacing the glass of water with a Crunch chocolate bar has also been known to be effective.

2. Change the ring tone of your alarm

Ever wondered how a phone call can wake you up, but your alarm can’t? Most of us are so familiar with our alarm tone that we’ve programmed ourselves to sleep through it. Changing it up might give you the little startle you need to get your body going.

3. Record yourself making a motivational/threatening speech and use it as your alarm tone.

If you have a phone that can record sounds, make a recording of yourself urging you to get up, or if that fails, a series of effective threats to give you a little extra boost of motivation.

4. Place your alarm across the room.

Disclaimer: The Daily Clog assumes no responsibility for any of the following:

• any injury acquired during this activity, including but not limited to, running into objects or tumbling off the top bunk;
  • any murder resulting from roommate irritation. 

5. If putting the alarm across the room does not work, place it in a hard-to-reach location.

The critical investigative thinking is sure to help your brain power kick in. Suggested spaces could include: high up on a bookshelf, under your bed, in the back of your closet, in the bottom of the laundry basket. 

Note: Make sure the volume is on high and that you’ll be able to hear it under a mound of clothes.

6. If you’re STILL having trouble, ask your roommate to hide the alarm for you.

That way, you’ll have your very own treasure hunt every morning, albeit a slightly stressful one.

Note: this only works with the world’s nicest roommates. If not available … user discretion advised.

7. Buy the Sleep Cycle App!

The Sleep Cycle app is bio-alarm clock that analyzes your sleep patterns and wakes you when you are in your lightest sleep phase. This might turn out to be your ultimate way of waking up feeling refreshed and surprisingly well-rested.

8. Positive mindset!

Go to bed with a berkeley-hippie positive outlook and will yourself to get up the next morning! Come up with three things you’re excited about for the following day, whether that is catching up with an old friend over lunch, treating yourself to Jamba Juice on your way to your 9 am, or the 45 minute nap on Memorial Glade between your 2 pm and 3 pm classes.

9. Consistency

A consistent sleeping routine is key. A good night’s sleep is not simply getting eight hours of sleep whenever you can — you’re most rested when you go to bed and wake up at consistent times every day.

10. Preparation the night before.

• Lay out the clothes you’re going to wear the night before to help you get out the door faster and to prevent you from wearing mismatched shoes.
  • Fill your kettle and set out your mug with a tea-bag inside, so all you need is to switch the kettle on when you wake up.
  • Make sure you’re stocked up on healthy morning snacks, like oatmeal, granola, or fruit.

11. Create a routine: breathe, stretch, smile, pee. 

• As soon as you wake you, take a deep breath and stretch thoroughly to wake your limbs.
  • Get up and then smile! You might feel like an idiot, but believe it or not, smiling in the morning can actually impact the rest of your day.
  • Go to the bathroom — the brainpower required to maneuver your messy room and possible encounters with floor mates (not to mention clean teeth) might help your mornings.

12. Honestly, if you need a twelfth tip, you’re probably a lost cause.

Just go to bed earlier for goodness sake.

Image sources: Feature photo, photo 1, photo 2, photo 3, photo 4, photo 5, photo 6, photo 7, photo 8, photo 9, photo 10, photo 11

Contact Tala Katarina Ram at [email protected].