The coolest college classes across the country

classroom.katherine_chen
Katherine Chen/File

As higher education continues to evolve, colleges are getting more and more creative with the types of courses they offer. While UC Berkeley’s got some pretty cool classes, ranging from a Middle Earth DeCal to the wealth and poverty class taught by professor Robert Reich, we all know the grass is always greener on the other side. Here’s a compilation of some of the classes we wish were offered at UC Berkeley:

Feminist Perspectives: Politicizing Beyonce

Rutgers University

This course explores American society through the lens of Beyonce’s music and career, examining gender, social, racial and political issues. The main question the course aims to answer is: Can Beyonce’s music be seen as a blueprint for progressive change?

Surviving the Coming Zombie Apocalypse: Disasters, Catastrophes and Human Behavior

Michigan State University

When you take this course, you delve into questions such as, “Why do some people survive while others don’t? How can we be fully prepared for disaster?” Students in this course are divided into survival groups and must face different challenges to stay alive and maintain the future of the civilization.

Topics in Comparative Media: American Pro Wrestling

Massachusetts Institute of Technology

By exploring the history and sensation surrounding the male industry of wrestling, the course moves chronologically through how matches have progressed and changed over the years. The focus is to understand how media and technology have influenced pro wrestling over the years and how methods of storytelling have evolved.

Lady Gaga and the Sociology of Fame

University of Southern California

This class focuses on Lady Gaga’s career and attempts to investigate the associated media and legal issues. However, fans hoping to jam out to Gaga’s music may be disappointed, because this courses focuses on the context of her rise to fame examined under a sociological lens.

Exceptional Children

College of William and Mary

This psychology course provides an overview of research techniques implemented in the practical handling and field work with exceptional children. Basically, you get to babysit precocious kids for credit.

Philosophy and Star Trek

Georgetown University

This is different from your typical philosophy class because in addition to reading the writing of great philosophers, you get to watch “Star Trek” episodes. Here are some questions you would investigate in this class: Is time travel possible? Could you go back in time and kill your grandmother? Do you have free will? What is the relationship between your mind and your brain?

You may be starting to get jealous of all these awesome classes, but you know the great part about UC Berkeley? You can teach just about any class you want. So if one of these classes suits your fancy, go ahead and start a DeCal!

Contact Shruti Koti at [email protected].