PSA: Ben and Jerry’s is serving free ice cream today

freeconeday

Summer vacation is still far away, but you can get free ice cream while you wait. And that’s sort of the same thing.

Today, April 8, is Free Cone Day at Ben and Jerry’s. In Berkeley, the shop on Center Street will be giving out ice cream cones for free from noon to 8 p.m. According to a Facebook promotional event page, Camp Kesem will be serving up free ice cream cones all day and selling passes to cut the line.

When you go get your cone, you can choose one scoop of any of the flavors that the shop typically sells. Whichever flavor you order today is entirely free. You can even plan ahead and check out the menu of flavors online.

The ice cream giant that developed Mint Chocolate Chunk, Phish Food and the all-important Chocolate Therapy was started in 1978 in Vermont by Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield. On the first anniversary of Ben and Jerry’s in 1979, Free Cone Day was instituted to thank customers for their support.

Since then, Free Cone Day has been celebrated every year. That’s 35 years of free ice cream!

If you’re somehow not convinced that you should go to Center Street for Free Cone Day, you should read “10 Ways You Can Do Good By Eating Free Ice Cream.” Although if you’re a college student, you should just skip down to item No. 9: “Free stuff just tastes better.” There’s no better reason than that.

Image source: Ben and Jerry’s official website

Jessica Rogness is an assistant blog editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @jessarogness.