Loan program could help meet financial need of undocumented UC, CSU students

A California State Senate bill that would establish a loan program for undocumented students at the UC and CSU systems was announced Wednesday in the state Legislature.

Proposed by Sen. Ricardo Lara, D-Huntington Park/Long Beach, SB 1210 attempts to supplement financial packages for undocumented students who have financial aid but lack access to federal or private student loans. SB 1210 would enable undocumented students to receive loans, known as DREAM loans, if the student is exempt from paying nonresident tuition or meets equivalent requirements adopted by the UC Board of Regents and if the student applies for financial aid by the DREAM Act.

“We invest in California students from an early age and many of them have done what we’ve asked them to do: work hard, study and pursue a higher education,” Lara said in a statement. “Continuing to invest in our future and ensuring that all students have access to the funding resources they need to succeed should be a top priority.”

The initial funding would be set at $9.2 million — divided between state funds of $6.9 million and contributions of $2.3 million from higher education institutions. This bill also requires each institution to match the state funding it receives on a 1-to-3 basis.

SEALAlthough California provides undocumented students with in-state tuition and access to Cal Grants, the students are not eligible for Pell Grants or federal loans, which, according to Nohemy Chavez, counselor and coordinator of the campus Undocumented Student Program, results in a gap of about $8,000 per year in financial aid packages for undocumented students at UC Berkeley. To supplement this gap, many are forced to take semesters off or find outside jobs, if they have work authorization.

“When they get admitted, their immigration status is not considered,” Chavez said. “We believe here in the Undocumented Student Program that it is then the university’s responsibility to support the student as they complete a bachelor’s degree.”

There are an estimated 2,000 undocumented students in the UC system, according to the UC Office of the President. An estimated 300 DREAM Act-eligible students currently attend UC Berkeley.

“These are remarkable students, and they have remarkable stories,” said UC President Janet Napolitano, who spoke in favor of the bill, at the legislative hearing. “Their accomplishments should not be disregarded, nor their futures compromised, because of their undocumented status.”

According to Meng So, director of the Undocumented Student Program, while this legislation is an important first step to expand equity for undocumented students aspiring to higher education, the next step is increasing access to trustworthy support services.

“Being undocumented, you are taught to compartmentalize and invisibilize your identity, and with the fear of deportation, you don’t know who you can trust to talk to,” So said. “This makes having support services equally important to having equal access to an affordable education.”

Contact Taryn Smith at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @tarynshelby.

A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that the number of undocumented students in the UC system is 1,300. In fact, the university estimates the number of undocumented undergraduate students to be 2,000.

A previous version of this article also incorrectly referred to the loans established by SB 1210 as State Education Access Loans. In fact, the name of the loan program has been changed to the California DREAM Loan program, with the loans now known as DREAM loans.

• spoolie254

Hey why not, they have no intentions of repaying the loan.

• Bravo Tango

The complete and utter lack of sense is astounding.

• Grandinquisitor1

I have a daughter at SF State and all I hear about is how many of the classes she needs to take are impacted. How exactly will this policy help the hard working taxpayers of California?

• Indeptex55

It won’t.

• John

The news reported 6,000 foreign “students” have disappeared after getting student visas, now at least they’ll have some pocket money to walk around with.

• Squiddy

6000? What is that, in LA County?

The number of “student visa overstays” is probably into the millions …

• John

6000 is the number of those who have disappeared completely, not just overstayed their visa.

• Squiddy

Actually, I found the article –

“The immigration agency’s own figures show that 58,000 students
          overstayed their visas in the past year. Of those, 6,000 were referred
          to agents for follow-up because they were determined to be of heightened
          concern.”

So, 6,000 in the *last year* who are perceived to be of “heightened concern” – likely because they come from places associated with terrorism. And that’s not even counting the thousands of “students” here that “attend” schools that don’t even have classrooms.

Whatever number the government gives you, it’s probably safe to triple it – they really don’t want the American people to know how incompetent it is.

• John

I get a creeping sensation that 9/11 this year will be the date when we get attacked by some of those wayward students. If we do I’m guessing it’ll throw this country into a panic of biblical proportions.

• joyfulgiver

Key word here…UNDOCUMENTED! Why are they eligible for services that many AMERICANs can’t get? This is absurd! Also, because of these undocumented taking up seats in our colleges, many AMERICANS can’t get the classes they need to graduate and now it takes an average of almost five years to graduate.

• freedom_is_good

Bingo. Instead of providing incentives to people breaking the law, the governments (municipal, state, and federal) should be making it difficult to be an illegal immigrant. People who want to come here would do it legally instead of breaking the law if there weren’t incentives for lawbreakers.

• James Wordsmith

Liberal progressive do-gooders in government always find it easy to give away other people’s money, but are too incompetent and clueless to actually earn their own money in the private sector.

• Brian Davis

Remember everyone. When the hinges come off in this country and things really spiral out of control, treat all Liberals and Democrats as if they were illegals and terrorists.

• Meister04

I’m sure that will help their budget – nice!

• Diana

“We invest in California students from an early age and many of them have done what we’ve asked them to do: work hard, study and pursue a higher education,” Lara said in a statement. “Continuing to invest in our future and ensuring that all students have access to the funding resources they need to succeed should be a top priority.” So have my children!!!! All my sons served in the armed forces. My daughter is still paying on a student loan she had to get. My ancestors came on the Mayflower, fought in every war for this country and we are considered as NOTHING. My niece was given food stamps and then was told they shouldn’t have given her food stamps and want her to pay back $800. Tragic. Work on the needs of those who are here, legally, looking for work, and quit giving people who are here ILLEGALLY (even if they are given amnesty). SAD SAD SAD SAD SAD. PS I live in this liberal state.

• davathon

Every dollar that’s given to illegal immigrants is a dollars that’s taken away from deserving poor Americans. Both California and the United States have historically high debt, so we shouldn’t be lending much money to anyone.

• beartooth777

and the middle class runs to Texas

• Indeptex55

They’re all welcome as long as they leave their liberal policies in CA.

• FaithColeridge33

They never do. They’re like locusts. They want all these do gooder social programs in place. They just don’t want to pay for them..

• Chucky77

Get out of California while you can.

• leadstate

Upon graduation, vamanos por Mexico.

• Geepa

This plan is not as much for the illegal as it is for the teachers to continue to receive a salary. The teachers are the ones that will benefit in the end.

• Larry Bishop

how is any of this far to people that are from California? How is anyone going to co-sign for the loans? What if they leave the country and default on the loans? in the US parents must put their credit on the line to co-sign for the kids. This is not fair.

• Jack TheCat

The voters of California are getting what they voted for and more power to them. If they wanted a change then all they need do is vote out the current reps.

• jnsesq

Is there no end to this irrational, suicidal liberal madness?

• FaithColeridge33

There is an end. It’s not pretty. In about fifty years the US will began to break apart. Many laugh but I bet they laughed when the Soviet Union broke up.

• Laura Todd

In a word, Detroit.

• Crutch

And Now Chicago was just was downgraded to B status. Lowest rating of ANY major city. Run by Democrats!

• 5ini5ter

It won’t be long before California comes crying to the federal govt. for a bailout.

• John

The sad part is they’ll probably get it.

• joyfulgiver

they already are, it’s called common core, money from the federal govt. to “race to the top”

• Redbird25

They’re not “undocumented.” They’re illegal, as in, they BROKE THE LAW to get here, idiots.

• Lucius_Severus_Pertinax

The Classic Question: “What part of ‘Illegal’ do they not Understand?” is an excellent illustration of the principle- it is very difficult to explain something to someone who has a strong Vested Interest in NOT understanding what is being said to them.

This is because understanding, should it come to them, would destroy their own present position; and they know it, however dimly. Often , it takes a clear, present and EXISTENTIAL threat to finally get though to them.

• ChangeOutTheBadINtheBetter

Excellently stated!!!!

• Brian Davis

Any bets on how many of those loans will be repaid, versus the increase of costs of student loans for actual US citizens that do pay for theirs?

• David Harrison

Not only will they not repay the loan, they’ll drop out as soon as the check clears.

• gracepmc

If California wants to fund every single “undocumented” person in that state with money from California taxes and California residents — go for it. If California wants federal funding — money from tax payers outside the state– for their illegal school “children” — no go. California wants to become the first formerly American state ceded to Mexico — have at it. Just leave the rest of us alone.

• Dave R

California liberals are a plague, if you don’t help to stop them they will spread to an area near you. That is why we need your help to stop the madness in this state. Not all of us support the crazy crap that is being forced upon us. The money here is in liberal hands, that is a place to start, the media also needs to be taken out of commission. Once the lying media has fallen the liberals will fall fast and hard. Every democrat in power has lied about everything, the law should be that if you lie to the public you go to jail. We already have three felon democrats that are senators, that says a lot about their party and their bosses.

• Verbotene Gedanken

Once all the Refuse from South America has emigrated to the US I’m heading South; those countries will never let them back in once rid of them.

America’s destruction is a small price to pay for happy Guatemalan politicians!

(Hope and Change. You asked for it and he gave it to you. Good and hard.)

• seenbetterdaze

Excellent comment. Too bad the Dimwit Voters will never read it.

• Verbotene Gedanken

Anyone with any bread needs to have an escape plan these days. Chile has a surprisingly large and stable software developer community. Just gonna have to finally get around to those Rosetta Stone Spanish lessons…

• Neutrino

Wonderful. My daughter, a normal US citizen, doesn’t qualify for jack regarding financial aid, Pell grants or whatever, since I apparently make too much money. Ya right. But now illegals might qualify for financial assistance?

“To supplement this gap, many are forced to take semesters off or find outside jobs, if they have work authorization”.
    Good heavens, they might have to work to afford college!! Welcome to middle class America people.

• lysosome

It may be thought of as a nice gesture by liberals, but this is idiotic on a number of levels. Consider how many illegal aliens are actually going to a university here. Most of the border crossers are not here to get an American education. They are here to make money under the table working for cash so that they don’t have to pay taxes. Think about it – mow lawns for cash and apply for both welfare and for EBT. Since there’s no record of income, these people easily qualify for both and probably other state give-away programs as well.

Regardless of all of that, it is a stupid program. If these people had the lack of ethics to sneak across the border illegally, then I doubt they have the ethics to actually pay a loan back. Any effect this has at all will be to increase the flow of illegal aliens. That isn’t going to play well in a state where power generation is at a tipping point and there’s not enough water for everyone.

• fergy turf

Guess who gets to pay for those defaulted loans WHEN they happen.

• forgetyoutooo

Of course, that’s always the plan.

• Sulla Felix

As long as it’s CA tax dollars and not federal money, run with it. When CA runs out of money don’t come begging for money from us. Idiots.

• seenbetterdaze

The Dems are trying out this program in CA because they know Moonie Brown is on board with Obama’s Plot…Next they will try to make it a Federal Law, and force ALL the states to dole out Free money for Free College Education…to the ILLEGAL Invaders. Being a Citizens today means Work and PAY ALL the TAXES and Keep your damn Mouth SHUT!

• Dave R

California politicians, born and bread in DC. Your next, that is why you must help us stop it before it comes to you. We are not all liberals, remember that. When it hits the fan Me along with millions of others will be bashing down the door at the capitol to take back what has been stolen from us. Only then can we get back to work and live again

• disqus_LpicJRrFVL

can we just give california to mexico and slam the new borders shut? liberals need to stay in the chit hole they created though, tired of seeing them ruin their hometowns and move to another and start the process over.. lay in your feces aholes

• phil

You know what? I will change my name to Juan Sanchez , and claim all the benefits the Illegals get!

• David Harrison

Mexifornia……Coming to a town near you.

THIS IS NO JOKE!!!

You people have no idea.

• phil

With millions of EMERICAN out of work, millions on Gov. aid of some kind, you nutjobs in CALI want to give the peoples money to individuals who broke the law?
    NO wonder Cali is the land of fruits and nuts!

• Dennis

I’VE HAD ENOUGH. Politicians NEED and MUST be held ACCOUNTABLE.

• Kay Mauer

Communist democrats will not vacate without a fight now. Too entrenched. Too many people on the dole. This is all getting very very serious. It will go as far as we let it go. Communists only understand one thing.

• THE EYE

California, The Golden State,,,, Mind blown liberal backward thinking
    state. All students need to do is give up being a citizen of the US and
    the nanny state will take care of you. That is the communist Democrat
    thinking these days.. As Joe Biden said… WE NEED TO TAKE AMERICA BACK
    !! (from the commie dems.)

• THE EYE

California, The Golden State,,,, Mind blown liberal backward thinking state. All students need to do is give up being a citizen of the US and the nanny state will take care of you. That is the communist Democrat thinking these days.. As Joe Biden said… WE NEED TO TAKE AMERICA BACK !! (from the commie dems)

• BT

Student body’s across the state here are brainwashed..and too meek to say anything even if they opposed this idea..default on student dept is extremely high..due to no jobs from 2003-2014 to pay for the monthly dues…if the Feds know this and the state knows this..how smart is it to loan money to a group that is a shadow? Living in the shadows a saying the Dems coined…would you loan something to someone who is currently breaking the law, uses fake ss to get jobs ( Identity theft) has no true roots and can vanish in a second…? Clearly has no morals or ethics but wants a loan lmao…California is so toast

• steveyuhas

I remember when tuition in California was free to California residents – it was a pretty good deal. Then the state started running out of money and that program went away. Now, California is going to start giving student loans to illegal immigrants – people who CANNOT WORK in the United States! Why would any rational person or government give loans to people that cannot legally work and will likely default? This state is failing.

• HarryObrian

oh don’t worry they’ll be working soon… right after Barry Soetoro makes them all citizens..

• Mark Talmont

He’s going to give them work permits. That’s the loophole in the law that will let him go around the congress. The American Bar Association had a panel on C-Span last week and that’s all they talked about (characteristically there was no opposing view included on the panel).

• Patriot1212

And you know that illegals will be employed over American citizens. What part of illegal do liberals in Califormexico do they not understand?

• sidweiss

no established credit and yet give these kids loans. my gf couldn’t get a loan for her kid and yet they are gonna push these through.

• “Loan program could help meet financial need of undocumented UC, CSU students”

Oooh. That headline needs some editing. Let’s try this:

“Loan program could help meet financial need of illegal UC, CSU students”

There, that’s better. Free of charge!

• PJ Ethen

California is already broke. These guys really are DREAMERS.

• Trent DePonte

Amazing. Drowning in debt and they keep finding ways to spend taxpayer money on illegals.

• HarryObrian

Maybe they’ll stop paying the professors so they can afford it… :) ha! I made a funny…

• Grange Fast

They are the only people that matter to the La Raza legislature.

• jparker70

i propose that we create a loan program for honest, hard working California tax paying American Citizens instead…

• Just Saying

There is only one way to solve this problem. Cut the welfare in half for U.S citizens and tell them it is only fair so that we can help the illegals. You would have lines of illegals being herded to the local INS office being driven by welfare queens in their Escalades.

• Robert Muir

I hope the big one comes soon!

• Tyler Smith

They are the future majority. If you don’t like stuff like this then there is a very simple fix. STOP VOTING FOR DEMOCRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• JJ

Democrats would vote for Hitler if he ran as a Democrat.

• SickOfTheStupid

and republicans would finance his campaign …………………..get over the idiotic partisan politics BS ……………..there is only one party not two.

• JJ

Just shows how partisan you really are.

• Batman

JJ said Democrats would vote for Hitler which implies the constituency. While the elected representatives may be one and the same, their respective political bases are certainly not. JJ is knocking the moron Democratic voters, not the politicians.

• JJ

Do you think that if we offered to give California to Mexico the California liberals would be happy?

• MonsterFace

Mexico doesn’t want it! They make more money off of that state as part of the U.S, under Mexican control it’ll soon be as flucked up as every state in that cesspool country.

• DStuff

I agree that if/when CA goes back to Mexico, it will end up as big a cesspool as the rest of Mexico. But all you have to do is listen to the Reconquista groups (La Raza and the like) to know that they DO want it back.

Where the ones who risked their lives getting out of Mexico once will flee to then, is another question. An other good question will be if the place the illegal aliens try to flee to then will allow the illegal aliens in after seeing the end result so plainly.

• Raydonn

All of this should be considered an act of war on the American people….it should be treated as such!

• SickOfTheStupid

Our forefathers shot the redcoats for less…………..

• HarryObrian

and people wonder why they are militarizing the police… they know it…

• SickOfTheStupid

only the sheep fail to see the war on our horizon………….the only question is will it be a civil war or a revolution?

• Raydonn

Good point/question Sick………I can see America breaking up into three enclaves in the future……that is one option………..there are others……

• JSebastian

We have to pick just one? Why not both? I would love to participate in cleaning house of liberals and commies and such. But why limit that to the government? The portion of the citizenry that installed this government is the real problem. They need to be dealt with.

• DeanDandylion

Along with militarizing practically every branch of federal bureaucracy. We all remember the BLM fiasco at the Bundy ranch and how armed they are. The USPS has been stockpiling ammo, the Department of Education has an armed division as does the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Who knows how many more agencies are carrying these types of programs. Dangerous times seem to be just over the horizon.

• ChangeOutTheBadINtheBetter

DOZENS, if not hundreds (of gov’t organizations!)

• JSebastian

Dangerous times indeed, if you’re a government agent/stooge. You know there is a master file of nearly all government employees (that includes law enforcement, judges, DAs, etc too), with personally identifying info, home addresses, DMV records, relatives, etc? The government knows this list is out there – and it scares the krap out of them! Because its how we’re going to keep them on their leash.

• Pendog

Kalifornia is lost. Next year you’ll need a visa to get in.

• MonsterFace

Not if go their as an illegal :)

• ipso_facto

Hopefully, they’ll need a visa to get OUT!

• David Harrison

In a year your state will be the same.

• Pendog

Ain’t that the truth! This state is red on the outside and blue on the inside.

• Jerry Hudson

Just let them have school and everything free, REMEMBER communist party, when we go belly up
    You communist will loose Either way

• SickOfTheStupid

Our Government has created the North American Union…………………….the United States of America no longer exists , they just refuse to admit it .

Revolution IS the Solution!

• rejco

While poor US citizens, desperately in need of education & career training, are sent “FINANCIAL AID DENIED” letters….

• Mel Content

Nice of us to keep pandering to ILLEGAL ALIENS when many of our own citizens can’t afford college. Are students not paying attention, or are they just too brainwashed by Political Correctness to be outraged?

• John (magnum)

Kalifornia, the land of fruits, nuts and brain dead liberal IDIOTS !

And of course guv ‘Moonbeam’ !!

• MonsterFace

and ILLEGAL aliens!

• sgb1

I wonder how much the illegals affect the water crisis in CA. that is a lot of people to be providing food and water for.

• Bruce Brunken

Not even on the radar compared to agriculture.

• BenDoverPls

But drought stricken California wants to take agricultural irrigation water and give it to the fish. I would laugh but California’s stupidity is too depressing.

• JSebastian

Its 10% of the population. So its on the radar compared to the water users being asked to reduce their usage by 20%. If illegals are 10% of the population, that is half the reduction goal.

• Audra

and its free to them

• rick

Obamao’s “redistribution of wealth!” Take from America……….give to the criminals!

• rick

2008 average grade hamburger was $1.79 a pound, now $5.29 a pound! …………Thanks Chairman Obamao!

• rick

This makes perfect sense for Obamao’s destruction of America!……..Educated terrorists build better bombs…….

• BenDoverPls

… and give it to non-citizens.

• libwithIQ

California…rushing to bankruptcy at the speed of light.

• disqus_E4Vdp7qC06

Not to worry …. The rest of us will bail them out…. Every time there is a fire cause the tree huggers won’t allow the precious tall grass to be taken out and can’t build fire barriers, the moron in charge declares a state of emergency and uses all that Obama money to pay for this crap!

• JSebastian

Certainly hope not. And I live here! California needs to be an abject example of the idiocy of liberalism.

• HarryObrian

That’s not going to go away anytime soon unless the conservative masses regain the ground they have given up in their temper tantrum state of mind. They also need to be as proactive as all the little liberal gnats are and not just mail out stupid surveys begging for money and letting things get worse so they can use that as a begging chip.

• SickOfTheStupid

not to mention the fact more people have defaulted on their student loans than their credit cards

• Daniel Petry

I lived in Santa Barbara for four years and my girlfriends daughter was completely brainwashed….they are a lost State

• Guest

Wait until she has to fork over HIGHER State Taxes to pay for unpaid loans…and EVERYONE’S INTEREST IS GOING UP…I used to be liberal also until I began paying TAXES…

• Patriot1212

I was a democrat and liberal from my college years. However, once you begin working and see how much taxes are and the waste of your tax dollars, you change your mind.

• tightloops

It’s cool to act stupid and irresponsible.

• Maybe we should fund our own tax paying citizens before we give hand outs to illegal aliens?

• HarryObrian

Existing American citizens are not subservient enough to the USSA. They have to bring in needy and greedy and train them to vote accordingly.

• Tyler Smith

And that my friend is the plan. Always has been since the Communist Party took over the Democrat party

• MonsterFace

they need to lower the overall IQ to keep power, importing millions of third world parasites, giving them a university education through lower standards and affirmative action will legitimize them.

• Tyler Smith

Yes indeed. That is why it was imperative for the communists to take over the media and the school system. The communists have ALWAYS known that if you get the kids, you get the country.

• HarryObrian

Cloward-Piven 101 supported by ‘rules for radicals’… pathetic and slimy it tis..

• lee

No it’s Soros & Jarrett 101…..”.

• George Orwell

That would be considered racist, nativist and hateful anymore. We must celebrate our demise.

• tightloops

But, but, illegals can now vote in California.