Weekender Picks

Muir Woods National Park
Miguel Vieira/File

1. Midterm season got you down? Burned out by the quickly approaching end of the semester? If you’re looking to take a break from Berkeley and civilization in general, Yosemite and Muir Woods National Parks are participating in the National Parks Service’s free entrance day weekend. With reduced (and some free) costs to enter some of the world’s most beautiful places, there’s never been a better time to get the hell out of Berkeley.

2. A classic satire of bourgeois leisure and consumerism, Jean-Luc Godard’s 1967 film “Weekend” is playing at the Pacific Film Archive on Saturday, April 19 at 8:30 p.m. Tickets are $5.50 for Berkeley students.

3. The Campanile will play host to the 20th annual Easter egg hunt on Saturday, April 19. There will be a limited amount of food and drinks available for purchase ($5 grilled cheese and $1 bottles of water), and activities commence at 10 a.m. The event, sponsored by the Eggster Organization student group, is unfortunately BYOB (Bring Your Own Basket).

4. 420! This Sunday is April 20th, the notorious celebration of all things cannabis. The Daily Cal does not condone illegal behavior BUT if you’re interested (and legally permitted) to partake in the festivities, there will likely be a crowd congregating on Memorial Glade at the appropriate time (which is 4:20 p.m.). Be warned, however — San Francisco plans to crack down on this year’s gathering at Golden Gate Park’s Hippie Hill, and there will likely be police on the lookout all throughout the Bay. Stay groovy, Berkeley friends.

5. This Sunday (actually every Sunday, but this one is #420, so fuck it, #YOLO), the Boom Boom Room at 1601 Fillmore St. in San Francisco hosts “Return of the Cypher,” a gathering with performances of some of the Bay Area’s most talented rap and hip-hop artists. This week features Chickenhead Johnson and DJ Kevvy Kev. The show starts at 9 p.m.

Contact the editors at [email protected]