UC Berkeley alum spells out marriage proposal on Memorial Glade (she said yes!)

Screen Shot 2014-04-27 at 3.32.57 PM

On April 19, giant letters spelled out “TALA, MARRY ME?” on Memorial Glade as part of a dramatic marriage proposal by class of 2008 UC Berkeley alumnus Adrian Taghdiri to his fellow Golden Bear, Tala Mohebi.

She said yes.

Their love story started during their last semester here at UC Berkeley, where they met in class. Six years later, Taghdiri planned an elaborate proposal to his college sweetheart on the campus where they met.

“This is a very significant place for us,” Taghdiri said. “Proposing here (in UC Berkeley) just seemed better than, you know, a restaurant in L.A.”

With the help of an engineer friend, Taghdiri based the measurements of his enormous proposal sign off of aerial maps. He then ordered white plastic tarp off Amazon and had friends assist him in cutting out the letters.

Screen Shot 2014-04-27 at 3.33.49 PMI had to make up a story regarding an old building being torn down,” Taghdiri said. “I told her I wanted to check it out, to make sure that we could get to the Campanile without passing Memorial Glade.

Meanwhile, Taghdiri’s friends were staking out the letters on Memorial Glade. Running into a group of students playing frisbee on the glade, they asked if it was possible to move the game to another spot. When they found out why, the group of students helped set out the letters. And thankfully, the proposal turned out to be everything Taghdiri anticipated and more.

“I did not expect people to gather in Memorial Glade in anticipation of the proposal,” Taghdiri said. “She waved down after saying yes, and there was a lot of clapping. The (Campanile) bells rang right after that too. It was great.”

Bystanders were taken with the public display of romance as well.

“I was taken by surprise and overjoyed because I walk by this glade so often, and it’s not every weekend my fellow bears swear eternity to each other here,” commented Melissa Zhang, who witnessed the proposal.

“I thought it was very well-planned out and carefully executed. It showed a lot of creativity and thoughtfulness!” said bystander Tyler Dane Hansen.

Taghdiri and Mohebi are both currently working as attorneys in Los Angeles. The Clog wishes this adorable Cal couple the best in the upcoming nuptials.

Image Source: Adrian Taghdiri/courtesy

Contact Sue Ying at [email protected].

• MrSupaHot510

Totally stealing this idea but not using White Tarp from Amazon. Im using people wearing a white shirt.

• Jon

This was an awesome idea……….when I did it for my then-girlfriend, over 3 years ago.

• VNG

Um, why should we be impressed again? Here’s what we should pay attention to: GIGANTIC WHITE TARP FROM AMAZON. This is ENVIRONMENTALLY UNFRIENDLY. Thank you.

• senor meow

um jealous……..

• IAmAlcindor

Wow. Some lucky girl or guy is going to be thrilled at getting such a romantic like you for their partner.

• MS-0

Give me a break.

• EducatedWoman

The tarp existed before he bought it. Not using it would be more environmentally unfriendly than using it.