Berkeley ranked as 10th-highest city in income inequality in US

The city of Berkeley has the 10th-highest income inequality in the United States and the highest income inequality in California, according to data released by Bloomberg News on April 15.

Bloomberg found the results by calculating the Gini coefficient — generated from the United States Census’ household income share by quintiles — to measure the wealth distribution. The lower the coefficient value, the lower the inequality.

With a median household income at $65,887, Berkeley is ranked No. 10 out of 50 U.S. cities Bloomberg profiled on its website. The news outlet accumulated this data by studying 300 cities in the United States that had a population of at least 100,000. The list was then funneled down to 50 cities with the worst income inequalities.

Berkeley’s Gini coefficient is 0.5438, compared to the national average, which is 0.4757. Berkeley’s value has increased by 4.58 percent since 2008, showing roughly the same shift as Atlanta — the city with the highest income inequality.

The cities in California with the next-highest income inequality are Los Angeles and Oakland. They are tied as the 28th-worst cities, with their median household incomes at $46,803 and $48,196, respectively. San Francisco is ranked as No. 30, with its median household income at $73,012.

Contact Becca Benham at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @beccabenhamdc.

• justiceplease

By conducting a stealth war on affordable housing and the homeless in general, Mayor Tom Bates seeks to decrease the inequality gap by getting rid of the people at the low end of the scale. If everyone is in the 1%, then no gap! Higher quality of life for everyone! Get it?
    This is the logic of a society that no longer has a conscience.

• Baffled were is dominate industry of Berkeley? The university not referring to independent. Start up which
    force economically. Bay Area they only hire specialized employees. Gap has arisen in Bay Area. Economist
    continue judge uniformed markets. Were there established industries different. Economic rules of Bay Area
    if you. Empower your business effort your triumphant. No exaggeration region of self made. Affluent Bio-
    technology research gotten attention. Of investors why proliferation of growth. Industries hey, gotten acclaim for highest. City of net wealth and rentals. Science and Nano technology no than other Berkeley.

• I_h8_disqus

LOL! I guess we should call for all university students to get a living wage, so we can eliminate this inequality! Come on Bloomberg. You need to do a better job than this.

• Jed Davidow

Take a look at that list. Just about every city at the top of the list has a large population of university students; a group with very little income.

* Athens: population 105k, 34,500 UGA students

* Gainesville: population: 126k, 49,000 UF Students

* Berkeley: population: 112k, 36k UC Students (1100 Theological students, 6000 City College Students)

* Tampa: population 346k, > 50k students at UT and USF

* Cincinnati: population 296k, 50k+ students at Xavier and U of Cincinatti

* Providence: population 187k, roughly 40k students at various universities

Miami and Atlanta are both over 400k people, but Miami has > 200k students and Atlanta has 30 universities and colleges.