PSA: Get “A Taste of North Berkeley” at Gourmet Ghetto restaurants to benefit local non-profits

Brenna Alexander/File
Brenna Alexander/File

On Tuesday, May 6, the Berkeley Lions Club will host their 5th Annual restaurant walk, “A Taste of North Berkeley,” from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.

The Lions have partnered with the North Shattuck Association to put on the event, which features 26 North Berkeley shops and restaurants in Berkeley’s famous “Gourmet Ghetto.” For $25, you can purchase a ticket-book, which includes coupons and a map to guide you to all of the participating shops and restaurants. Tickets can be purchased online or at M. Lowe & Co., ACCI Gallery or Darling Flower Shop.

Berkeley favorites like Gregoire, Barney’s Gourmet Hamburgers and Philz Coffee will each be serving samples to ticket-holders. Some restaurants have announced their samples on the ticket website, while others are saving theirs as a surprise.

All of the proceeds from this event go to the Berkeley Lions Community Fund, which supports local non-profits like the Berkeley Food and Housing Project and the Berkeley Women’s Daytime Drop-In Center.

The event has been popular in the last couple years, especially since the Lions Club moved the date from March to May.

“The food is amazing, you better be hungry,” said Dave Nicely, one of the co-chairs of the event. “Last year we sold out.”

Jessica Rogness is an assistant blog editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @jessarogness.