Safeway on College expected to open late fall

Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 8.13.17 PM
Safeway on College/Courtesy

We were all really sad when the Safeway on the corner of Claremont and College avenues closed last July. The grocery store closed to begin a 12-month renovation and expansion project that, for the past seven years, has been in the works. According to Wendy Gutshall, Safeway’s manager for public affairs and government relations, construction on the new building should be completed this summer.

Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 9.37.12 PMBut there were some issues in the beginning of the year that prevented the construction’s completion for this summer. According to Gutshall, “We (Safeway) were still waiting on permits and finalizing agreements at the time.”

On March 20, Elisabeth Jewel, a consultant for Safeway, posted on the store’s website to say “construction of the new store is well underway. Safeway received permission from the City of Oakland to work on several Saturdays, allowing the crews to stay on schedule for a mid-Fall opening.”

Progress in construction is going well, Gutshall said in an email.

We can expect the new store to have expanded departments, such as a bakery, pharmacy, floral, deli and produce and full-service meat and seafood departments, as well as a wide range of organic foods.

“Customers will experience an enhanced shopping experience with an expanded selection of offerings, wider aisles and more efficient checkout,” said Gutshall.

Contact Sujin Shin at [email protected].