4 places around Berkeley you can go to cool down

Michaela Swenson/Staff
Michaela Swensen/Staff
Michaela Swenson/Staff

After spending the past two weeks of your life indoors at Main Stacks studying for finals, it’s time to head outdoors. There is no better way to beat the heat than to head down to the water. Whether you want to tan, go for a swim or just Instagram pictures of the Bay, the Clog has you covered.

Strawberry Canyon Pool

Strawberry Canyon Pool

Strawberry Canyon Pool has finally opened, just in time for summer. It is located on Centennial Drive, right behind Memorial Stadium. The open swim hours for Strawberry Canyon are from noon to 6 p.m. on most days. You can check the open hours here for Strawberry Canyon, as well as the other pools on campus. Strawberry Canyon is the only pool on campus with space dedicated to recreational swimming. The walk to the pool is about 15 minutes from I-House.

Lake Temescal

temescal3

A 10-minute drive from campus, Lake Temescal allows you to swim in the lake and is also home to a sandy shore for tanning or picnicking from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. There is a beach access fee of $3 when a lifeguard is on duty, which also gives you access to the changing rooms and showers. The lifeguard schedule and additional information on Temescal is located here.

Lake Anza

1021414692_0048bd6aea_z

Located within Tilden Regional Park, Lake Anza is a 20-minute drive up from campus and has a beach access fee of $3.50. Similar to Temescal, the lake is surrounded by a sandy shore for you to roll out your towel and spend the afternoon reading the book you promised yourself you would read last semester. The lake is open from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. If you get tired of the water, Tilden is also home to a botanical garden that is open from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., with free admission.

Berkeley Marina

marina

Just a 51B ride away, the Berkeley Marina is home to Shorebird Park, a picnic area with great views of the Bay and lots of space to tan or relax with friends. Plus, if you are tired of staring at the wall while running at the RSF, try going for a run on the trail along the water. It’s free to visit and is open from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Image sources: recsports, Michael Sandoval

Contact Elise Lagana-Aliotti at [email protected]