PSA: Bay Area Book Festival coming to Berkeley next summer

Screen Shot 2014-05-28 at 4.51.23 PM
Bay Area Book Festival/Courtesy

Are you a literary aficionado or in need of a break from reading overexpensive textbooks that hold no interest to you? Are you in need of something to look forward to in the next year? Lucky for you, the Bay Area Book Festival is coming to our very own campus on June 6 and 7, 2015.

We know what you’re thinking: That’s a whole year away! Why should we care now?

We should get excited because more than 150 authors from around the world will be in attendance, and some are authors you’ve probably heard of before. Where else are you going to have the chance to see and hear New York best-selling authors such as  Michael Pollen (“The Omnivore’s Dilemma”), Sherman Alexie (“The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian”), Neil Gaiman (“Stardust) and Vikram Chandra (“Sacred Games) all in one place to share their love of literature with you?

Literary advisers and council will include Berkeley authors, professors and faculty such as Robert Hass, Mark Danner, Deirdre English, Adam Hochschild and many other notable people in literature and publishing from around the Bay Area. There will be a focus on immersing the community with diverse works from local, national and international authors, panels discussing social issues such as the environment and the impacts of technology as well as hands-on workshops in writing and publishing.

According to its website, the Bay Area Book Festival hopes to be “one of the largest, most innovative and inclusive literary events to take place in Northern California” and hopes to garner the attention of 100,000 Berkeley residents and visitors of all ages, backgrounds and interests. Anyone who loves to read or write, or is just interested, is welcome.

So mark your calendars for a once-in-a-lifetime event that you definitely cannot miss!

Contact Soyolmaa Lkhagvadorj at [email protected].