Delicious meals you can make in 5 minutes

unnamed-2
Claralyse Palmer/Staff

Mild panic rises as you surface from your deep slumber and realize that the number of times you’ve pressed snooze on your alarm this morning is probably higher than your GPA. You rush through your home, unsure if the reason your body is wet is because you didn’t fully dry off from your shower or because you are just sweating profusely. Then, you realize one vital thing: You need to eat but have no money to buy a $6 wrap from GBC and no time to make a delicious artisan meal at home. There’s no way you’ll ever succeed today without putting some sustenance in your body.

If you’re familiar with this situation, never fear — the Clog is here. We’ve composed a list of nutritious and delicious meals that you can scramble together in five minutes. These recipes can be devoured at any meal time and can easily be packed up for eating on the go.

The open-face sandwich

unnamed

In many ways, open-face sandwiches are far superior to normal sandwiches.

First off, open-face sandwiches are pretty fancy looking, so they’re bound to boost your confidence. They also use only one slice of bread, which makes them healthier, gives them more room for toppings and significantly speeds up the production process. Here are our suggestions for how to craft your open-face sandwich.

What you’ll need:

– One egg

– One slice of bread

– Olive oil

– One tomato

– Feta cheese (or any cheese really, depending on your taste)

– Salt and pepper to taste

How to make it:

First, drizzle some oil on a hot pan and slap your egg down onto it. As your egg cooks, put your slice of bread in the toaster and cut a couple of slices of tomato. As soon as your bread finishes toasting, drizzle a small amount of olive oil onto it and spread your feta and tomato over the bread. As soon as your egg is cooked to your desire (both sunny-side up and over-easy eggs work for this), transfer it to the sandwich. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and you’ve got yourself a gourmet meal that also fulfills many important food groups with its protein, grains and vegetables!

Quesadilla

unnamed-1

Quesadillas are great because almost anything tastes great when it’s between crispy tortillas and melted cheese. We have some suggestions for what you can put in a tortilla to make it both yummy and relatively nutritious, but you can put any combination of leftovers you have in your fridge into the quesadilla!

What you’ll need:

– Tortillas

• Corn tortillas are generally healthier for you, but flour tortillas make great quesadillas!

– Cheese

• We recommend using the “Mexican Mix” cheese that comes shredded in bags from places like Trader Joe’s. But you can use any type of cheese that melts well, so if string cheese is the only type of cheese you have around, that’s OK.

– Black beans

– Corn

• Corn is pretty easy to find frozen in bags at any grocery store, which makes it really easy to store and just have around for whenever you need some veggies.

– Chicken breast

• You can really use any meat you have lying around, but if you don’t have anything feel free to drop by Trader Joe’s— they have trays of cooked chicken breast pieces that you can buy.

How to make it:

If your chicken isn’t already cooked, shred it, give it a simple boil and then season with salt and pepper. Next, put your fillings into the microwave for 30 to 60 seconds. Heat up a skillet and place the bottom tortilla on it. Sprinkle the desired amount of cheese on top of the tortilla. Then, put the toppings on your quesadilla along with another small layer of cheese and the final tortilla. To expedite the heating process, you can cover the pan — your top tortilla might not be as crispy, but the insides will warm up faster. Flip the quesadilla once the bottom tortilla is browned to your desire. Once the cheese is melted through, you’re good to go!

Egg rice thing

unnamed-8

There isn’t really any way to describe it besides the instructions, so read on if you’re curious on what exactly this concoction is. It might sound weird at first, but trust us — it’s delicious, nutritious and literally takes three minutes to make. You can also add meat into the dish if you want to.

What you’ll need:

-One or two eggs

– Rice

– Any veggies

• This is optional, but if you’re on a health kick, go ahead and throw veggies in. You can make this even healthier if you use just egg whites and brown rice instead of white rice!

– Salt and pepper to taste

How to make it:

Put as much rice as you’d like in a microwaveable bowl, and mix veggies into the rice. Crack your eggs over the rice, and put it in the microwave for two to three minutes. When you take it out of the microwave, it will be pretty hot, so let it cool, or stick it in the freezer to cool it off really quickly if you’re in a rush. Sprinkle salt and pepper if you want to add more flavor, and you’re ready to go!

Contact Claralyse Palmer at [email protected].