Pride is coming to San Francisco on Saturday and Sunday

Wells Fargo shows off a colorful float at the Pride parade. Ashley Chen/Staff
Ashley Chen/Staff

When you think of a fun Sunday morning, it probably doesn’t include a parade for two reasons: First, nothing is fun in college if you have to do it in the morning, and second, you haven’t been to a parade since you were 10 years old.

But the 44th Annual San Francisco Pride Celebration and Parade, returning on Saturday and Sunday,  is something you don’t want to miss, even if you have to get up before noon. According to its website, San Francisco Pride is the largest LGBT event in the nation and will be a weekend full of performances, pride and colorful costumes.

The celebration begins on Saturday with local musical and cultural performances on the Main Stage at the San Francisco Civic Center. On Sunday, the stage will be filled with performers from all over the world, and there will be a parade down Market Street, beginning at 10:30 a.m. and ending around 2:30 p.m. Check out this map of the parade route, so you know where to watch.

Even if you have a car in Berkeley, you’ll want to take BART to Pride to avoid the hassle of traffic or parking. If you want to see the parade, the Pride website suggests taking BART to the Embarcadero, Montgomery, Civic Center or Powell stations. If you want to watch the performances and visit the booths, exit at the Civic Center BART station.

Organizers request a $5 donation to attend the celebration at the Civic Center. There is no requested fee if you just go to watch the parade.

Check out the SF Pride website for all other information about the celebration.

Contact Elise Lagana-Aliotti at [email protected].