Out of the Closet: Street Style at SF Pride

DAILY-CAL-CAM-013
Addy Bhasin/Staff

SF Pride Week is notoriously crazy in the style realm. The LGBT festivities this weekend saw everything from sequined bras to poofy tutus to naked nether regions. Though Civic Center Plaza started looking like the leftovers of Electric Daisy Carnival, The Daily Californian spent the weekend combing through the crowded plaza in search of the most fashionable Pride-goers. While not outrageously crazy, these chosen fashionistas (and fashionistos!) sure know how to put together a well-curated outfit in honor of SF Pride.

DAILY-CAL-CAM-013

Made in America: We pledge our allegiance to Tenaya, who rocked an early Fourth of July-inspired outfit while watching the Pride Parade. Tenaya kept it comfortable in her loose, stars-and-stripes toga, perfect for shielding the sun and boasting her patriotism. She could put Betty Ross to shame!

Shop this look: Etsy

DAILY-CAL-CAM-024

Hawaiian dream: Sophie kept it classy in her cropped Hawaiian shirt from Buffalo Exchange. Her clean, white sneakers and striped socks added a preppy touch to her outfit, but the funky, childlike watch and simple skirt kept the look from looking too grown up.

Craziest thing she saw at Pride: “The biggest bubbles I had ever seen!”

Shop this look: Macy’s, Cole Haan

DAILY-CAL-CAM-090

Bite the bullet: With a dance floor set aside for square dancing nearby, Rolan, dressed in wild west garb, fit right in. From his leather cowboy boots to the well-worn suede vest, he sure looked the part of the cowboy!

True grit: “I bought all this — the shoes, the belt — from an antique store in the desert.”

Shop this look: Country Outfitter, Territory Ahead

DAILY-CAL-CAM-040

DAILY-CAL-CAM-042

#tbt: From her high-waisted acid wash skirt to her black crop top, Helen seemed to have taken cues from the ‘90s when choosing her outfit that morning. She added even more edge to her grungy look with a pair of patent leather boots, but sweetened it up with her accessories — a dainty pearl ring and pastel nails.

Craziest item of clothing she owns: “It’s these socks actually. They have a portrait of Frida Kahlo on them which I thought was pretty awesome. I got them at a sock shop in Rockridge.”

Shop this look: Daily Look, Charlotte Russe, Absolute Socks

DAILY-CAL-CAM-049

Here comes the sun:  From her boldly printed top to her mom shorts, Amethyst’s unexpected outfit was surprisingly flattering. For Amethyst, it was all in the details: Her thin yarn belt deliberately positioned slightly underneath her belt loops and the delicate fringe at the edge of her shorts added a slight touch of perfect oddity to what could have been a cliched sunflower-print-and-shorts look.

Where in the world: “I got this sunflower crop top from New Orleans actually. I like buying clothes when I travel so I remember the place even better.”

Craziest thing she saw at Pride: “I’m pretty sure I haven’t seen the craziest thing as yet. I’m still waiting for that crazy thing.”

Shop this look: Nasty Gal, Doll Kills

Copy of DAILY CAL CAM 079

Harajuku lovers: Kirk and Jeremiah were pretty in pink at Civic Center. While Jeremiah balanced out his pink and green checkered shirt with solid shorts, neutral slip-ons and a white parasol, Kirk took his outfit in the opposite direction. His ensemble — varying in shades of pink — was complemented by a fashionable pair of clear glasses perched on his shirt.

Take a crazy chance: “This morning I basically said, ‘Why not?’”

Shop this look: Ralph Lauren, Neiman Marcus, David’s Bridal

DAILY-CAL-CAM-085

Bone-afied lovers: Amber and Chloe both rocked denim ensembles in radically different ways. While Amber sported the classic look with a sleeveless vest, Chloe dabbled with the growing overalls trend. Pairing the short dungarees with a pastel button-up, Chloe managed to bring some class to the country-bumpkin look. With booze and a broken limb as these two girls’ accessories, there’s no way they could have gone wrong!

What goes around comes back around: “Everything we are wearing is from thrift stores around the country. We’re pretty proud to say that!”

Craziest thing they saw at Pride: “Body piercings. In uncomfortable areas.”

Shop this look: H&M, Express

DAILY-CAL-CAM-076

In the limelight: Agata looked fancy and elegant in her lace-trimmed, jewel-toned dress from a vintage store on Mississippi St. in Portland, Oregon. The intricate, leaf-like pattern was subdued with simple rhinestone-encrusted stud earrings and chic black flats.

Shop this look: Sparkles and Pop, Free People,  DJ Premium, Lulu’s, Selfridge’s

DAILY-CAL-CAM-087

Doggy style: Fashion wasn’t only limited to humans! This little one sported a cute, rainbow feathered mane in honor of Pride.

Addy Bhasin is the assistant arts editor. Contact her at [email protected].