Justin Cobbs to play for Memphis Grizzlies in Summer League

mball.kfang
Kelly Fang/Senior Staff

For NBA hopefuls who weren’t lucky enough to hear their names called out on June 26th at the draft, all that’s left is to make and prove themselves on a summer league team. Former Cal men’s basketball point guard Justin Cobbs will have that chance with the Memphis Grizzlies in the NBA Orlando Pro Summer League.

Running from July 5-11, Cobbs will have five games to prove himself against a pool of nine other teams that include the Miami Heat, Indiana Pacers and Oklahoma City Thunder. The summer league offers an opportunity for undrafted players to make a team during the regular season.

The 6’3”, 190 pound guard was a first team all-conference pick in his final year at Cal, adding to his resume of two prior selections to all-conference teams. Voted a finalist for the 2014 Bob Cousy award recognizing the nation’s top guard, Cobbs led the Bears in scoring and assists. Despite transferring from Minnesota for his sophomore year, Cobbs has established himself in Cal’s record books, finishing second with 531 total assists and 11th with 1,469 total points.

Averaging 15.6 points per game as a senior last season, Cobbs ranked ninth in scoring in the Pac-12. His 5.8 assists along with 2.4 turnovers also ranked second in the conference in dishing the ball and third in assist-to-turnover ratio. His 204 total assists his senior year was good enough for fourth in Cal history in single-season assists.

Cobbs joins Ryan Anderson, Allen Crabbe, Jorge Gutierrez, Jason Kidd and Sean Marks as former Bears in the NBA.

Winston Cho is the sports editor. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @winstonscho