Funds to UCLA student political party came from outside sources, leaked emails show

Update: Read about the results of UCSA’s closed session here.

In a closed session Thursday, University of California Student Association’s systemwide affairs committee discussed whether to investigate allegations that student regent-designate nominee Avi Oved has potential conflicts of interest because of funding allegedly received from Adam Milstein, a heavy supporter of pro-Israel causes.

In a statement released Tuesday, Milstein wrote that he had only ever given funds to Hillel at UCLA and other similar organizations, not to Bruins United, a UCLA political party, or any individual student campaign. But an email leaked to The Daily Californian shows Adam Milstein requested that pro-Israel community members should send contributions to Hillel at UCLA earmarked for “UCLA Student Government Leaders.” In the email, Milstein stated he would contribute $1,000.

Neither Hillel at UCLA nor Adam Milstein returned emails requesting a comment on this new information.

In a separate statement released Tuesday and in previous interviews, Avi Oved declined to comment on the email between himself and Milstein. As per UCLA’s student government bylaws, candidates and elected officials do not need to disclose sources of funding.

“Unfortunately, this recent attack is representative of a new breed of bullying on our campuses in which baseless atacks are leveled against the integrity of individuals,” Oved wrote in his statement Tuesday.

Some members of the UCSA Board of Directors and students during a public comment meeting Tuesday stressed that this issue was not about Oved being a pro-Israel supporter but rather a conversation about outside organizations influencing student government politics. Others, however, including Oved and Milstein, said this was an attack on pro-Israel students and supporters.

Chloe Hunt is the editor in chief and presisdent. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @saidChloe.

A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that the UCSA board of directors held the closed session on Thursday. In fact, it was UCSA’s systemwide affairs committee, a subset of the board of directors, that held the session.

• AngusMac

If you want to see how good a friend Israel is Watch the Documentary “The Day Israel Attacked America” about the murder of 34 American sailors by the israeli air force and navy. Eye opening !

• Dan Spitzer

Interesting that the Daily Cal has kept on its commentary site posts by the pro-Palestinain minion which include “Seig Zionism,” “Zionism is racism,” and missives by someone who uses the execrable moniker of “Zionism=Nazism.” And, of course, the Daily Cal editors chose to keep on the site the slur by Bob Sampson above calling me a racist.

On the other hand, the Daily Cal editor has either censored or placed “under moderation” my tempered comments along with those of others who support democratic Israel.

Daily Cal editors, your anti-Israel bias is not crystalline to readers of your commentary site. Too bad that your notion of freedom of expression is so manifestly one-sided; no one is fooled by your biases..

• Hephie

Boychick, your real complaint is that pro-apartheid narrative is crumbling under the weight of fact.

• http://twitter.com/son_of_guy son_of_guy

“UCSA Board of Directors stressed that this issue was not about Oved being a pro-Israel supporter but rather a conversation about outside organizations influencing student government politics.”

Um:

“As per UCLA’s student government bylaws, candidates and elected officials do not need to disclose sources of funding.”

So funding is not really the issue, if it’s legal, is it now? Him being supported by Milstein doesn’t change his pro-Israel stance known before hand, does it?

Like I said before though, this accusation is not some kind of anti-semitism plot either. Looks like a plain and simple dirty student government politics scandal that happens every 6 months — though we’re a little bit ahead of schedule considering Naweedgate was only 3 months ago.

• wow

“Unfortunately, this recent attack is representative of a new breed of bullying on our campuses in which baseless attacks are leveled against the integrity of individuals.”

A- this is not an attack, it’s a concerning issue coming to light and being investigated through an objective lens. An attack would be something ad. hominem and devoid of logic, like the Daily Cal posting an article about how Avi sucks as a person.

B- clearly these allegations are not “baseless,” in fact it seems as though the allegations came out to be truthful. Avi’s Facebook picture is of him holding a sign saying “I am IVP, I am Israel.” It’s weird because I did not know those two to be related, let alone synonymous.

C- if Avi is so concerned about these allegations and being a transparent student regent, why did he not attend the UCSA emergency conference call, his statement simply said that he would not be attending as if he somehow does not owe an explanation.

This is clearly an open and shut case, Avi has conflicts of interest and ties to someone extremely Islamophobic and problematic (ie: his Twitter).
    I think what needs to be done next is find a more fit student regent (hopefully a student of color) and investigate the UCLA elections themselves, as it is likely that BU spent more on their campaign than they reported and broke their student government laws. It also seems appropriate to investigate other similarly aligned student government parties at other UCs because there are wealthy Jewish activists and organizations at EVERY UC, it isn’t unreasonable to assume that this is not an isolated incident, this is part of a larger strategy.

• Dan Spitzer

You can be sure that the Regents will determine that Oved can have his own views just as Ms. Saifuddin has and, like Sadia, be confirmed as Student Regent in July. And by then, the pro-Palestinian idiot-logues will have moved onto other specious contentions as they always have…

• Superb Reporting.

Wow, this is an incredibly hard hitting piece of journalism. Thank you Daily Cal for bringing this to our attention.

• Dan Spitzer

“Superb reporting?” Please note son_of_guy’s comments below…

• Dan Spitzer

It would be interesting if there was a full-blown investigation into how much Sadia Saifuddin and other pro-BDS members of UC student councils garnered from CAIR (and its affiliated Muslim Student Associations), the Saudis, and Emirates. Given the millions that the Saudis and Emirates have given Middle East Studies departments nationwide and their subsequent hiring of flagrantly anti-Israel professors, it’s unlikely that those students advocating BDS have clean financial hands when it comes BDS and other anti-Israel issues…

• Dan Spitzer

What reasonable person would not to financially support the Israelis in response to the following: Just as they did when the Twin Towers fell, the Palestinians showered children with celebratory candy. And, as just released from a recording of the kidnappers:

In the full tape, the kidnappers are heard singing in Arabic and cheering, as well as calling out “three!”
      In the earlier recording, the teen who placed the call – believed to be Gilad Shaar – says he has been kidnapped. The kidnappers are heard yelling at the teens prior to sounds believed to be gunfire.

Barbaric is too light a word for this latest installment of Palestinian terrorism…

• John

You do realize that Israeli forces killed 7 Palestinians during the past 3 weeks when they were raiding and demolishing Palestinian homes. Up till now the Israelis have yet to provide evidence that Palestinians killed the Kidnapped settlers. By the way the raids in the west bank seem to have been planned in advance the IDF was just waiting for the right moment to conduct them so please spare us the tears.

• Dan Spitzer

Yes, your ridiculous contention coincides with the widespread Palestinian notion that the Israelis made up a story about three kids being kidnapped. Ditto the belief held throughout the Muslim world and in the Palestinian territories in particular that 9/11 was conducted by the Israelis…

• bob sampson

I recommend looking up the term racist and then looking in the mirror. And then actually do some fact-finding to see if any of your claims about BDS supporting student government leaders are true. Or you can also look up the term liar.

• Dan Spitzer

I looked the term up and it was defined as “Bob Sampson.” ;-)

• Sarah Wolley

Equating an entire group of people to the actions of a few of them.
        Sounds like… racism?

• Larry A Singleton

“racism”?

JEW HATRED (No Links)

From Time Immemorial by Joan Peters (gospelpedlar)

Who conspired? – by Bat Ye’Or (Dreuz-Info)

The Legacy of Islamic Antisemitism by Andrew G. Bostom (Read the “Note on the Cover Art-Execution of a Moroccan Jewess” or this book Review/article by Benjamin District; “Jewess Heroine-Sol Hachuel” (myrightword)

Supplemental Article “The First and Last Enemy: Jew Hatred in Islam.” by Bostom

EU, U.S., Funding Incentives to Kill Jews by Guy Millière (Gatestone Institute)

“Anti-Israeli hatred permeates the Palestinian Arab population of the West Bank” “The PA, on its totally government-controlled TV, on a daily basis glorifies suicide bombers and portrays them as role models for others to “follow in their path.” Children living in territories controlled by the Palestinian Authority, and funded by the Europeon Union and the U.S., are encouraged to kill Jews and destroy Israel.”

“The Christian Aid Conference on Peace and Justice in the Holy Land” by Denis MacEoin (Gatestone Institute) (See “Wafa al-Biss”)

I would STRONGLY urge you to first read the Appendix at the end of the article: “From a letter to an anti-Israel activist, to be published in 2013″

Response to the Anti-Israel Event at London’s St. James Church (Gatestone Institute)

Palestinians enraged that Romney told truth about their lack of interest in peace, call him “ignorant” and “prejudiced”. Great examples of how “safe” Israel would be next to a Palestinian state. (Jihad Watch)

The Big Lie and the Media War Against Israel: From Inversion of the Truth to Inversion of Reality by Joel S. Fishman (Daniel Pipes)

Israel Delilah missile-Missile specifically designed to avoid civilian casualties (You Tube)

Israeli Surgeon Treats Palestinians Despite Despair Over Kidnapped Youths 6-25-14 (Algemeiner)

Jihad & Terrorism Studies Project September 26, 2002 Special Report No.10 Fiday Sermons in Saudi Mosques: Review and Analysis (MEMRI)

(This is from Saudi Arabia. Same with an article on Islam Sheikh bin Humaid that I read and am submitting below.)

Islam’s Hatred of the Non-Muslim by David Bukay (Frontpage Magazine archive)

Guest Column: Palestinian TV Teaches Kids The Way to ‘Jihad Street’ by Abigail R. Esman (Investigative Project)

Hamas to kids: Shoot all the Jews (Jihad Watch)

Farfour “martyred” by Israelis in final episode (You Tube video)

MEMRI Transcript: Farfour, Hamas’ Mickey Mouse Character, Is ‘Martyred’ in the Final Episode of the “Pioneers of Tomorrow” Children’s Show on Hamas Al-Aqsa TV

Ever heard of Wafa al-Biss? The woman who returns to a hospital to blow up the doctors and nurses who had saved her life and as many other people as possible. When released in a prisoner swap she encouraged a bunch of children to become suicide bombers. (Check out the contrast between the article and NBC news story below.)

The Depravity of the Homicide Bomber’s Recruiters (Frontpage Magazine)

Female Homicide Bomber (“suicide”You Tube)

Failed Suicide Bomber Hopes for Another Chance to Kill (You Tube)

Children as combatants: Motivating children to seek Shahada (Palestinian Watch)

Camp Jihad UN/US Palestine Probaganda and brainwashing (You Tube)

Michael Coren & David Harris – Palestinian terrorist training camps for kids (You Tube)

• Larry A Singleton

Right of Return III (No Links)

Fact Sheets: The Palestinian “Right of Return” (Jewish Virtual Library)

The “Right of Return” Is Suicide for Israel by Jonathan Schanzer (MEF)

The History of the Middle East Conflict in 11 Minutes (You Tube)

“Letter to the Editor” International Herald Tribune, July 1, 2003 by Giulia Boukhobza (Also in Bostom’s “Legacy of Islamic Antisemitism” book: Chapter 68, page 677: “A Libyan Jew Breaks Her Silence 36 yrs after surviving the 67 Tripolitan Pogrom”) (Faith Freedom)

Historical Facts and Figures: the Forgotten Jewish Refugees from Arab Countries

Jews Displaced from Arab Countries: A Story of Collusion (pdf)

(See p-4 “Exhibit E”!)

A japanese View of the Palestinians by Yashiko Sagamori

The Forgotten Refugees: An exchange of populations by David G. Littman

Original 1948 NYT article: “Jews in Danger in all Moslem Lands” by Mallory Browne (pdf)

Expulsion of the Jews from Muslim Countries 1920-1970 by Prof. Shmuel Trigano (IsraelSeen)

• Larry A Singleton

This is what the “entire” group of Palestinians believe.

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2014/07/hamas-murder-of-palestinian-teen-like-when-jews-used-blood-in-matzos

Why does this site use this totally useless and dysfunctional Disqus? I have to “sign in” every friggin time I use it. I have to edit my comments even after having to “filter” them through WordPad. The pricks and Disqus are totally unresponsive to the problems plagueing this useless feature.

Piece of crap. this is the second time I’ve had to come back and edit this thing.

• Dan Spitzer

Sarah, when it comes to the candy being showered upon children and the Palestinian exuberant response to 9/11, even Arabic sources such as Al Jazeera reported thousands of Palestinians participated in these “festivities.” That’s not racism; rather, it shows how most Palestinians feel about terrorism toward Israelis and Americans…

• John

neither CAIR nor any foreign countries give SJP or other pro BDS movements money. In fact the Saudis and Emirati interests in the region tend to intersect with Israeli interests in the middle east.

• Dan Spitzer

The Israelis, the Saudis and Emirates all have common reason to be concerned about a nuclear Iran. But by far, the biggest source of funding for the Palestinians and their terrorist actions toward Israel over the decades have come from the Saudis and fellow oil-rich Emirates…