Picks of the Week: On the Waterfront

Jack_London_Square_from_Broadway_2009-08-11
Wikimedia Commons/Creative Commons

If you went all out for the 4th of July weekend, don’t think the fun is all over. That may have been the only big holiday this month, but weekend fun lives on elsewhere. Opt out of party mode and dial it down for these more laid back activities. Bring out the family or a couple of buddies for a free outdoor movie or get tickets to a performance in the city for an artsy night out. Or stay drunk. That’s an option too. (Though I don’t recommend it for the sake of this list.)

“Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” Jack London Square, July 10

This week kicks off the start of Session D classes, so if you’re already in the mindset of ditching, live out your dreams of playing hooky through the notorious 1980s hooligan mastermind. The hilarious John Hughes classic comes back as a part of Jack London’s outdoor Waterfront Flicks series in Oakland and is completely free to attend. Pack a picnic or pick up food from a vendor and relax on the ferry lawn overlooking the docks. Just make sure you’re heavily wrapped in blankets for the two hours you’ll be in the breezy night. Movie starts at sundown.

SAFEhouse Summer Performance Festival, ODC Theatre, July 12

The non-profit SAFEhouse for Performing Arts (Saving Arts from Extinction) will showcase 12 resident dancers and acts in their seventh annual festival running from July 16-20. A special preview on the 12th at 8pm features SAFEhouse founder, artistic director and choreographer Joe Landini, a UC Irvine alumnus. Landini will perform his piece “led to the letting loose of everything” that will travel from the front of the theatre cafe to the third floor studio. Alongside Landini is contemporary dancer Alma Esperanza Cunningham who will perform a series of solos in a feminist piece called “SHE WENT”. Tickets here.

Cal Sailing Club’s Open House, Berkeley Marina, July 13

Once a month, the CSC hosts Open House sailing lessons free to the public. This Sunday’s introductory course opens from 1-4pm where you’ll board a sailboat with experienced CSC members. Pack a change of clothes and prepare to spend a sunny afternoon on the marina learning to steer and picking up some cool sailor’s lingo. A little rusty on your swimming abilities? Don’t worry; life jackets are provided!

“Once” at the Curran Theatre, closing July 13

Get seats for this Tony Award-winning love story musical where the actors sing and play their instruments live. Based on the 2006 Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova movie of the same name, “Once” closes its San Francisco run this week. Bask in the gorgeous Victorian interior of the Curran and witness the story of Guy and Girl unfold in their Dublin pub before you. The tale of two musicians “Falling Slowly” for each other and for their music will leave you in a mess of beautiful tears, but it is worth every note.

Contact Jennifer Wong at [email protected].