Sam Hawgood appointed as next UCSF chancellor

Sam Hawgood, current interim chancellor of UC San Francisco, was appointed as the next chancellor of UCSF by UC President Janet Napolitano on Wednesday.

Hawgood, a scientist, educator and physician, succeeded former chancellor Susan Desmond-Hellmann on April 1 and will assume his new position pending the UC Board of Regents’ vote at its meeting next week. As chancellor, he will be responsible for managing the $4 billion UCSF enterprise, which comprises the medical school, schools of dentistry, nursing and pharmacy in addition to a graduate division and affiliated hospitals.

“I am honored, excited and humbled by the opportunity to lead UC San Francisco to new horizons in basic and clinical research, teaching and patient care, building on a shared vision of this world-class institution’s excellence, history and legacy,” Hawgood said in a statement Wednesday.

In addition to the interim role, Hawgood has also served as dean of the UCSF School of Medicine and vice chancellor for medical affairs since September 2009. During his tenure as dean, the school became the leading medical school in the nation in terms of research funding from the National Institutes of Health in 2013, according to annual figures posted by the NIH.

Hawgood, a native of Australia, joined UCSF as a research fellow in 1982, and has maintained his own laboratory since 1984, with a focus on neonatology research — the medical care of newborn infants. At UCSF, Hawgood also held the roles of chair of the pediatrics department and associate director of the Cardiovascular Research Institute.

“He has demonstrated that he possesses the mix of vision, curiosity and empathy essential to the dynamic leadership required to move this already stellar UC institution to even greater heights,” Napolitano said in a statement. “When a rigorous, far-reaching search lands on a candidate from within, it demonstrates the fundamental strength of the institution.”

Hawgood was selected as Napolitano’s choice after a national search led by an advisory committee — composed of five regents and representatives of UC faculty, the UCSF Medical Center and UCSF Foundation — which reviewed more than 375 candidates and conducted in-depth interviews with seven finalists.

Somin Park is a news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @_sominpark.