Picks of the Week: From a caffeine high to ‘Less than Zero’

Cheyenne Jackson - POTW
Wikimedia Commons/Creative Commons

With the summer in full swing, we’ve all become well practiced in the art of indulgent enjoyment. This week, add a few more key moments to your future memories of summer 2014 with our cultural picks.

Litquake presents “Less Than Zero,” an homage to ’80s lit, big hair & distressed denim

On Thursday at the Verdi Club in San Francisco, the Bay Area Literary Festival is moonwalking back in time with “Less Than Zero,” an event celebrating the music, fashion and literature of the 1980s. Local writers will perform readings of the works of Bret Easton Ellis, Tama Janowitz, Jay McInerny Lisa Birnbach, Tom Wolfe and Carrie Fisher. Highlights of the night include a full-service New Wave/Dynasty makeup bar, an ’80s fashion show and tunes from the MTV decade. Tickets are $15 in advance and $20 at the door. Scrunchies encouraged.

“Office Space” at the PFA

If the ’80s aren’t your years of choice, the Pacific Film Archive’s screening of the 1999 workplace comedy “Office Space” may be more your speed. The film tells the story of miserable workers who rebel against their horrible boss. The show is on Friday at 8:45 p.m. Tickets are only $5.50 with your Cal ID.

CoffeeCon

On Saturday at Terra Galleries in San Francisco, CoffeeCon welcomes caffeine enthusiasts to a day of brewing, tasting, music and lectures on every conceivable java-related topic. Attendees can take classes on different methods of brewing, including press, pour-over drips and siphon. A sustainability presentation will even provide tips on how to be a responsible and conscious coffee consumer. Tickets are $29.

Music from the movies with Cheyenne Jackson and the SF Symphony

Broadway star Cheyenne Jackson, known for his roles on “30 Rock” and “Glee,” comes to the San Francisco Symphony’s Davies Hall on Thursday and Friday to sing hit songs from movies such as “Moulin Rouge” and “Breakfast at Tiffany’s,” while the symphony will play overtures from “Gypsy” and “Funny Girl.” Faith Prince and Courtney Act will join Jackson as guest vocalists. Tickets start at $15.

Grace Lovio is the arts editor. Contact her at [email protected].