Berkeley scores with Real Madrid vs. Inter Milan game

InterMilanFinalKick
Arya Aliabadi/Staff

Saturday’s Real Madrid vs. Inter Milan soccer match at Memorial Stadium unfolded before a sold-out crowd of 62,583, scoring money for various divisions across campus.

In May, UC Berkeley announced a match between the two teams based in Spain and Italy as part of the Guinness International Champions Cup, a summer tournament with eight renowned soccer teams from around the world.

About 6,000 students purchased tickets to the game during a special presale period for students, said Assistant Athletic Director Herb Benenson, with others buying additional tickets outside of the promotional ticket window.

Carole Love, director of communications at UC Berkeley’s Office of the Vice Chancellor for Administration and Finance, said before the game the revenue could potentially create as much as 10 times the $100,000 licensing fee guarantee. Of the total revenue raised, $25,000 will go toward UC Berkeley’s general academic scholarship fund, and the rest will mainly go toward athletics programs.

Benenson said the exact amount of how much was raised from the event is yet to be figured out, as the revenue from the match came from a variety of sources, including ticket sales, concessions and parking.

“With an event of this nature, the financial benefits extend to several departments on campus, such as Athletics, Cal Dining, Student Services and Parking & Transportation, as well as to the general Berkeley community,” Benenson said in an email.

A meeting of about 20 people was held in the days leading up to the event by city and campus representatives to discuss concerns regarding matters such as emergency response and parking and transportation, said Christine Shaff, communications director for the campus’s facilities services.

The UCPD activity log showed several incidents at Memorial Stadium the day of the event, including victims of illness, injury, public intoxication and a stolen wallet.

On the day of the event, there were seven medical evaluations, with two resulting in medical transports, although that number is far fewer than what is typical for a football game, said Matthai Chakko, city spokesperson.

Chakko said one area for improvement was mass transit, given that shuttles were underused. Parking and transportation blockages typically lasted about 15 minutes.

Although the early reaction to the event has been a positive one, he said, UC and city staff will meet to review any complaints and to see what could have been done differently.

Berkeley Police Department was on hand at the event, with two police officers patrolling the area of Panoramic Hill and one parking enforcement officer on duty in the area.

According to Officer Jennifer Coats, spokesperson for BPD, no attendees at the game were arrested.

Both Relevent Sports, the company that organized the match, and Cal Athletics were open to the possibility of organizing additional non-Cal Athletics events at the stadium in the future.

Nico Correia is the lead city reporter. Contact him at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter @nicolocorreia.