Picks of the Week: Muppets, McCartney and Matt Ritchie

fred armisen
Mary Ellen Matthews/Courtesy

“The Muppet Movie” screening at Castro Theatre

The Castro Theatre will screen “The Muppet Movie” as part of their 35th Anniversary Family Matinee. Dave Goelz, the voice behind Gonzo the Great, will make an appearance, taking part in a Q&A forum at the screening. The event begins at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, August 16 and only costs $10.

Fred Armisen stand-up at Castro Theatre

Comedian Fred Armisen, famous for “Saturday Night Live” and “Portlandia,” will do a round of stand-up at the Castro Theatre on Sunday, August 27 at 8:00 p.m. Make sure to purchase tickets to catch Armisen’s alter-ego Ian Rubbish, who will also be in attendance Sunday night. A Q&A session with Armisen will follow the comedy show.

Paul McCartney at Candlestick Park

What better way to bid farewell to the beloved Candlestick Park than a celebration with a Beatle? On Thursday, Sir Paul McCartney, along with a reported 900 pyrotechnic effects, will put on Candlestick Park’s final show. Expected attendance is set at 49,000 people. You should be one of them. Purchase tickets here.

Matt Ritchie’s “Confero” at Spoke Art Gallery

Make sure to hit up Spoke Art Gallery in San Francisco to catch Matt Ritchie’s solo show “Confero,” which closes next week. The show features a collection of painted, hand-cut wood pieces. The art series references Ritchie’s 1970s childhood, complete with references to classic comic books and Battlestar Galactica.

Addy Bhasin is the arts editor. Contact her at [email protected].