Police arrest man in connection with bus stabbing

Berkeley Police Department arrested a man Monday night after a 21-year-old woman was stabbed on an AC Transit bus earlier that evening.

On Wednesday, authorities said passengers on the bus witnessed a man walk down the aisle, pull out a knife, say “watch this,” and stab a woman for no apparent reason. One passenger repeatedly struck the man with his skateboard to distract him from his attack. The man allegedly continued to attack the woman intermittently until he fled the bus, which had pulled over near San Pablo Avenue and Chaucer Street.

At approximately 9:50 p.m., witnesses flagged down a BPD sergeant near San Pablo Avenue and Bancroft Way. Police confronted the suspect at gunpoint and placed him in handcuffs.

Police arrested Eric Palmer, 24, on suspicion of attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon.

Palmer’s arraignment is scheduled for Thursday at 2 p.m. in Oakland’s Wiley W. Manuel Courthouse. He is being held at the Berkeley Jail without bail.

The victim suffered serious but nonlife-threatening injuries and was transported to a local hospital. Police are still investigating the attack and did not release a booking photograph.

Somin Park is a news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @_sominpark.