Commonly misspelled Berkly words

clog.misspelledwords.nguyen

Despite our academic inclinations, spelling certain Berkeley-related words can be a real problem for many students. So we at the Clog are going to help you out. This list of commonly misspelled Berkeley words will, hopefully, prevent you from making rookie mistakes.

wurster hall

Wurster. Many people often make the mistake of spelling Wurster Hall, the architecture building, like “Worcestershire.” Interestingly enough, Wurster was named after a human being and not after a condiment commonly paired with eggs Benedict.

Dean Ignacio/Staff

Dean Ignacio/Staff

Campanile: This is that big phallic object in the middle of campus that you take your parents to ride up. Wait … no. That sounded … never mind. It’s the tower. Just remember that it’s the tower. (Also, it’s pronounced camp-uh-kneel-ee).

clog.misspelledwords.nguyen

Oski: Oski is our mascot. He is a bear. Occasionally, someone will think that Oski is spelled with a Y, like “Osky.” This, friends, is not correct. Please do not make this mistake, because we can guarantee that you will receive judgmental glares from your fellow bears.

clog.misspelledwords.nguyen

Kroeber: Kroeber Hall is the anthropology building, named after Alfred L. Kroeber. There’s an E in it. That is all.

Gabrielle Nguyen/Staff

Gabrielle Nguyen/Staff

Boalt: Boalt Hall is where UC Berkeley’s School of Law can be found. Remember, it’s not like a lightning “bolt.” To help you remember, we’ve provided you with this photo.

clog.misspelledwords.nguyen

Haas: The word “Haas” can be found in the Haas School of Business and Haas Pavilion. Remember that Haas has two As in it and is named after Walter A. Haas Sr., the former president of Levi Strauss & Co. Our buildings were named after human beings, not a type of avocado.

clog.misspelledwords.nguyen

Berkeley: As surprising as it may be to you, the name of the city our school resides in and is named after is often misspelled. Common misspellings are Berkley, Berkly and Berklee (which is actually another school in Boston). For your own good, we suggest that you learn how to spell the name of the city you live in and your school. We also suggest that you teach your friends and family members who consistently text you saying, “How’s Berkly?!??!?!” to spell it correctly, too.

Image sources: Featured ImageImage 1, Image 3, Image 4, Image 6, Image 7

Gabrielle Nguyen is the Assistant Blog Editor. Contact Gabrielle Nguyen at [email protected]