Ways to prepare for an earthquake in Berkeley

A crack develops in the wall of UC Berkeley's Memorial Stadium just south of Concourse D-FF.
Michael Drummond/Senior Staff

Given the recent earthquakes quaking and shaking the Bay Area, it is especially important to remember some earthquake-preparedness and safety tips and to know what to do in case of an earthquake (we’re looking at you, out-of-state students). There is no need to fret though, because UC Berkeley and FEMA have plenty of resources to help you plan for an emergency. Here are some things to do, depending on where you are in the event of an earthquake.

clog.earthquake.secon1

If you are indoors (campus buildings, dining halls, home):

Take cover under a sturdy desk, table or bench, or hold on to an inside wall. If you are in bed and not in danger of a falling object hitting you, stay there. Do not use elevators or go outside until the shaking stops. Then, you can grab your emergency bag, which should have water, clothes, flashlights, first aid kits and nonperishable food.

If you are outdoors (on campus, on the street, Memorial Stadium):

Stay there and move away from any possibly falling buildings, trees, streetlights, signs and utility wires.

If you are in a public-transportation vehicle (AC Transit, BART):

Most public transportation in the Bay Area is built to withstand minor earthquakes and is in the process of undergoing upgrades in zones of high seismic activity. If you are in a bus or on the train, the train will stop as soon as possible and will not proceed to any infrastructure that is possibly affected. All have their own emergency plans, so you should listen to the operator’s instructions.

And, don’t forget, UC Berkeley has many easily accessible resources — from apps to websites to radio to emergency numbers — to keep you safe from harm.

Image Sources: JesseW

Contact Holly Secon at [email protected].