Picks of the weekend: long-weekend edition!

This three-day weekend is such a tease. It’s all like, “Yo, I’m going to pull some Criss Angel “Mindfreak” shiz and cast a spell on you that tricks you into thinking that you’re back in the glory of summer, and then I’m going to smack you across the face when you wake up for your 8 a.m. class Tuesday.” Or, if you’re feeling optimistic, I suppose you could look at it as a real homie who is just trying to ease you into the rigors of drinking mass quantities of whiskey during the months of August through May — aka school. With these local, cultural events, you can make this tricky weekend your certified pal and bring the school year in with a “shaka shaka, breh” rather than an “oh nah, brah.”

SUPERB screening of ‘Pitch Perfect’

Everyone start doing your mermaid dance, because SUPERB will be screening this aca-hilarious movie “Pitch Perfect” on Memorial Glade on Friday at 11 p.m. If you didn’t get either of those two references, then your booty better be firmly planted on the glade, because the flick about a women’s a cappella group and its quest to win nationals is an incredibly entertaining musical comedy. Simply watching Rebel Wilson’s escapades as Fat Amy is enough for the movie to be a success, but the addition of catchy songs, witty writing and a quirky cast makes it one of the most enjoyable comedies to have come out in recent years.

Treasure Island Flea Market

Every last weekend of the month, local artists, designers and musicians flock to Treasure Island for a huge open-air flea market. You can walk around, browse through the awesome locally made goods and listen to live music. There will be a full bar and numerous food trucks (consider the lobster roll from Sam’s Chowder Mobile highly recommended) to put some scrumptious fun into your day. Plus, the picturesque views of the entire bay provide a lovely background and atmosphere for a day in the sun. The flea market is from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and costs only $3.

‘BoJack Horseman’ on Netflix

This week has probably been a hectic one, filled with moving into new apartments, figuring out class schedules and dealing with the usual beginning-of-school shenanigans, so maybe some quiet, relaxing time is what you need this weekend. The new Netflix original series, “BoJack Horseman,” can be your second-best friend — behind only your pajamas. As with other Netflix original series such as “House of Cards” and “Orange Is the New Black,” the entire first season of “BoJack Horseman” was released all at once a few days ago. The show is centered around the life of a former sitcom star, who is struggling with his current irrelevance and happens to be a human-like horse. Starring the hilarious Will Arnett and the talented Aaron Paul of “Breaking Bad” glory, the animated show promises to be a clever and addicting addition to the genre.

Friday Nights at the de Young

The de Young Museum hosts after-hours “art happenings” on Friday nights. This Friday there will be live music from Oakland-based Broken Shadows Family Band — an eclectic-sounding, idiosyncratic group. Also, there will be an opportunity to go on a docent-led tour of the Modernism exhibit that is currently featured at the museum.

Taran is the assistant arts editor. Contact him at [email protected].