Police investigate attempted homicide in Downtown Berkeley

Update: Both the victim and alleged assailant were residents of a senior living facility. Read more here

Berkeley Police Department is investigating an attempted homicide that took place in Downtown Berkeley on Friday morning.

At 12:49 a.m., the police department received a call about a disturbance at an apartment in the 2000 block of Durant Avenue, where officers found a man with life-threatening injuries. A second man at the scene was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and taken to Berkeley Jail. Investigators do not believe the attack was random.

Berkeley Fire Department received a call about the incident at 1:08 a.m., according to BFD Deputy Chief Avery Webb. The injured man was transported to a local hospital. Police have not released the name of either man found at the scene.

Webb said the incident took place at 2020 Durant Ave., which is the location of Stuart Pratt Manor, a senior living facility.

Only one man booked to Berkeley Jail in the last 24 hours, 69-year-old Lawrence Landis, was held on suspicion of attempted murder. He was booked to the jail at 5:13 a.m. and is being held without bail. His arraignment is scheduled for Tuesday at the Wiley W. Manuel Courthouse in Oakland.

Berkeleyside, which first reported the incident, said the injured man appeared to have been beaten with a baseball bat.

The city of Berkeley has seen one homicide so far this year, the murder of Berkeley resident Sylvan Fuselier.

Katy Abbott covers crime and courts. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @katyeabbott.