2 strong-arm robberies occur within 30-minute period early Saturday morning

Update: This story has been updated to reflect new information from the online county inmate locator system.

Two strong-arm robberies occurred within a 30-minute period Saturday morning on Bancroft Way.

During the first robbery, a 19-year-old woman, whose affiliation with the campus is unknown, was surrounded by a group of men, according to a UCPD crime alert released Tuesday. In the second case, which happened 22 minutes later, a 22-year-old man, whose campus affiliation is also unknown, was robbed by a male suspect. Four men in total from the two robberies were arrested on suspicion of strong-arm robbery.

The first incident occurred at approximately 1:36 a.m. near the intersection of Bowditch Street and Bancroft Way when three men approached and surrounded the 19-year-old woman and her friends.

The men allegedly proceeded to verbally harass, spit and kick the teenager, later stealing her phone. Authorities said the victim reported seeing the group of men enter a dark vehicle. After arriving on scene, officers of Berkeley Police Department arrested Blake Brown, Elijah Mayo and Kendall Segers, all of whom are 18 years old.

Mayo and Segers were found in possession of firearms during the subsequent investigation, police said.

The second strong-arm robbery occurred at approximately 1:58 a.m. that same day on Bancroft Way and College Avenue.

A suspect approached the 22-year-old man and allegedly punched him repeatedly and demanded his money. He then allegedly took the victim’s money and fled on foot. The victim flagged down a BPD officer in the area, who spotted the suspect inside a vehicle heading west on Bancroft Way. Malcolm Peterson, 22, was arrested on suspicion of strong-arm robbery.

Blake and Segers are being held at Berkeley Jail with bail set at $50,000. Mayo is also being held at Berkeley Jail with bail set at $140,000. Arraignments for all three were scheduled for Tuesday at 2 p.m. in Oakland’s Wiley W. Manuel Courthouse.

Peterson is being held at Berkeley Jail with bail set at $50,000. His arraignment was scheduled for 2 p.m. Friday in Oakland’s Wiley W. Manuel Courthouse.

Jeff Landa is a news editor. Contact him at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter @JeffLanda.