Half of the top-10 national public universities are UC schools, and guess who’s number one?

Cal-Spirit-flag-sproul_MDrummond
Michael Drummond/File

It’s us — surprise, surprise. UC Berkeley just topped U.S. News & World Report’s Top Public National University list for the millionth time in a row (not an actual statistic). And what’s even better? Four other schools on this top-10 list are also UC schools.

UCLA ranked second among these public schools, UC San Diego ranked eighth, UC Davis ranked ninth and UC Santa Barbara ranked 10th. If you didn’t already have enough to brag about already, you can now brag about various schools associated with your school also being really awesome.

U.S. News & World Report also released its top-university rankings list, which placed Princeton first, Harvard second and other Ivy League schools behind them, as per usual. On this list, UC Berkeley ranks 20th, right after Rice University, and is the first public school mentioned on the entire list. In a statement, UC President Janet Napolitano said, “All Californians should be proud of their university. The excellent showing of our campuses in annual college rankings reflects the hard work and commitment to excellence of our faculty, students and staff.”

Additionally, UC Berkeley’s Haas School of Business is ranked number two in the best undergraduate business programs rankings, and the College of Engineering was given the number-three spot in the best undergraduate engineering programs rankings.

Under U.S. News and Report’s Best Grad School rankings, UC Berkeley ranks number one in English, history, chemistry, computer science and sociology. UC Berkeley also made itself present in many of the top-three spots for other graduate programs, including statistics, psychology and engineering.

So, what we’re really saying is, “Go, Bears!”

Gabe Nguyen is an assistant blog editor. Contact her at [email protected].

A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that four UC schools were included in the top 10 of U.S. News & World Report’s Top Public National University list. In fact, five UC schools were included.