Police seek assistance in solving 2010 murder case

With Friday marking the four-year anniversary of Adolfo Ignacio Celedon Bravo’s murder, police are again seeking community assistance in solving the homicide case.

Known to his friends and family as “Fito,” Celedon was gunned down at 3:41 a.m. on his 35th birthday. Berkeley Police Department has yet to solve the case and is offering a $20,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the suspect or suspects responsible for his murder.

Celedon was walking home from a party with his fiancee Amber Nelson, a UC Berkeley graduate student at the time, when they were confronted by two men at the intersection of Adeline and Emerson streets near Ashby BART.

During the course of an attempted robbery, Celedon was shot several times, and Nelson was punched in the face. The suspects fled in a dark, older sport utility vehicle, and Celedon was pronounced dead after being taken to a local trauma center.

The victim was a Chilean native who moved to Berkeley in February 2010 to be with his fiancee while she finished her graduate work on campus. The two met when Nelson was traveling in South America.

The couple planned to move to Brazil following Nelson’s graduation.

“Detectives continue to actively investigate Celedon’s murder and are asking for the community’s help,” an alert from the police department said. “Even the smallest detail could be critical in solving this crime.”

Kimberly Veklerov is a news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @KVeklerov.