5 RSF group-exercise classes to add to your running training regimen

Hannah Lee/File
J. Hannah Lee/File
Hannah Lee/File

Are you signed up to run the Nike Women’s Half Marathon on Oct. 19? Do you feel ready to rock the 13.1, or has your training been sidelined after coming back to campus? Either way, we’ve got your cross training covered!  Check out these Recreational Sports Facility classes that will help you run faster and stronger through the hills of San Francisco.

1. “Yogalates”: Tuesday/Thursday from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. with Maryam (Gold Gym)

What’s “Yogalates?” Yoga and pilates. Why? Yoga helps you shake out tight hamstrings, hips and quadriceps, which tend to suffer from overexertion during training runs. Keeping limber during training season and always will help you remain injury-free now and for years to come! The pilates aspect of the 60-minute class will challenge your core, which is very important for runners — so when you “hit the wall” at mile nine, your coordination and posture won’t slow you down!

2. “20-20-10”: Monday/Friday from 12:10 p.m. to 1 p.m. with Shane (Combatives)

Feel the burn. Chances are you’ve probably already heard of 20-20-10 and the burst of energy Shane brings to your day. For all you newbies, “20-20-10” is a 50-minute strength and conditioning workout, comprised of 20 minutes of cardio, 20 minutes of strength training and 10 minutes of abdominal work and stretching. This combination is super important for runners, because the different types of exercises will help build muscle in places that running doesn’t target and will strengthen muscles — quadriceps, hamstrings and calves — that you put to the test during long runs! Increase your endurance and have a blast with this jam-packed, 50-minute workout.

3. “Abs and Back” and “Foam Roll and Stretch”: Wednesday from 5 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. with Becky and from 5:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. with Ann (Gold Room)

The combination of back-to-back, 30-minute classes “Abs and Back” and “Foam Roll and Stretch” is perfect for runners. Give your core some love with Abs and Back! Your core reinforces the way your pelvis, abs, hips and lower back work together, so having a strong core will improve your running form when the hills aren’t so easy anymore. Follow up with foam rolling, which releases the tension and tightness in muscles that occurs during repetitive exercises, such as running. Improve your flexibility and range of motion, and decrease your chance of injury. It’s a win-win.

4. “UrbanKick”: Monday from 6:45 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. with Miwa (Combatives)

“UrbanKick” is an athletic take on cardio kickboxing, combining kickboxing and HIIT to bring you an all-round kickass and sweaty workout. What’s HIIT? High Intensity Interval Training. HIIT workouts typically contain 10 to 60-second bursts of work, followed by 20 to 120 seconds of rest, depending on how long you were working. Why do HIIT? This style of workout helps you run faster by strengthening your cardiovascular system, thereby increasing your endurance. Kickboxing increases your range of motion, flexibility and all around well being. You’ll be able to run faster and further up and down hills like a champ.

5. Cycle: Tuesday/Thursday from 12:15 p.m. to 1 p.m. with Geoffrey (Studio 4)

For new riders, spin can be an intimidating thing to try. Geoffrey makes the workout fun and purposeful. His challenge rides contain energizing music to keep your legs pumping and your heart racing. Cycling is important for runners because it helps increase strength, leading to more powerful strides on pavement and trails. Cycle classes typically consist of intervals of sprints and hills, which will make you short of breath for the time being but increase your endurance in the long run. It’s a good idea to replace your easy runs with cycle classes in order to work different muscles and challenge yourself to try something new. Can’t make 12:15 p.m. classes with Geoffrey? Don’t worry: the RSF has more than 25 cycle classes per week for you to choose from, with awesome instructors who will lead you through the challenge — no excuses.

You can check out the weekly schedule of RSF group exercise classes here! Happy cross training!

Contact Rebecca Stifter at [email protected].