Bicyclist seriously injured after traffic collision in North Berkeley

Update: The intersection of Spruce and Eunice streets opened at 1:37 p.m.

A bicyclist suffered serious injuries in a collision with a vehicle early Sunday, according to a Berkeley Police Department alert.

The bicyclist collided with the vehicle at approximately 8:15 a.m. at the intersection of Spruce and Eunice streets in the Berkeley Hills, authorities said. The bicyclist suffered life-threatening injuries and was transported to a hospital.

The Fatal Accident Investigation Team has been called to investigate the collision and to document the scene using specialized equipment. The involved driver and witnesses at the scene are cooperating with investigators.

The intersection will remain closed during the investigation, which police say will likely take several hours. In the meantime, BPD recommends pedestrians, motorists and bicyclists to consider alternative routes. An update will be issued when the intersection is open for traffic.

Authorities have no further information regarding the details of the collision or the identity of the parties involved.

Jessie Lau is a news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @jessielau93.

• Hi

In my opinion, the…oh wait…comments should be ¨respectful¨? Well, that’s not gonna happen! No wonder there are 0 comments at this time! Sheesh! That policy must’ve been written by a girl! A girl in a freshly-starched pinafore and a lorgnette coyly brandished whilst saying, ¨Well, I NEVER!¨ No? Okay, let’s look at their list of ¨STAFF¨ (dot! dot! dot!) AHA! Other than someone needed to operate a camera or write about sports, GIRLS, GIRLS, GIRLS! I rest my case… and respectfully withhold my ¨on-topic¨ comment.