Essential foods to keep in your dorm room

Simone Anne Lang/File

While many freshmen might think the most disorienting time of their year — move-in day — is over, we at the Clog are here to tell you that it’s not. As stressful as it was to move into your dorm while Mom fought back tears, Dad fought to bring your suitcase up three flights of stairs because the elevator was broken, your siblings fought to go home, and you fought for some freedom, the worst is yet to come.

No matter how settled you think you are, no matter how comfortable you are in your new home, no matter how prepared you may think you are, the moment of fear will still strike. And it will strike hard. You’ll be alone in your room one weeknight. You’re tossing and turning, contemplating Einstein’s theory of relativity.

Suddenly, there’s a pang in your stomach. Your head starts to pound. “What is this feeling?” you wonder.

It’s hunger, and you’re probably ill-prepared to combat it. Fear not, because if you follow our advice and keep these 5 foods in your dorm at all times, you’ll always be ready to combat hunger. We advise keeping the following foods on hand so that you’ll always have something to satisfy your various cravings:

1. Clementines

eb.dorm.feder

Clementines are a great food to have around. They’re relatively inexpensive, and are a good source of Vitamin C. Not only will they help you combat scurvy and keep from getting sick, they’ll fill you up as well. Eat a few and you’ll be feeling better in no time. These fruits are space-effect as well, they take up very little space in your room and will stay ripe for a while, so you’ll be sure to get your money’s worth.

2. Trail Mix

eb.dorm2.feder

Trail mix is another essential. You can buy it in bulk at places like Costco or Trader Joe’s, or you can pick up all your favorite ingredients to make your own. It combines nuts, chocolate, and dried fruit into a blend that is both portable and filling. It makes a good snack any time of day, and will give you the burst of energy to keep going and conquer whatever school-related challenges lay ahead.

3. Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches

eb.dorm6.feder

Another wonderfully portable and filling snack is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. It can function as a snack in between classes when you don’t have time for a full meal, or it can be your meal. Combine it with any or all of the other items in this article and you’ll be a able to whip up a great meal in your dorm room in no time. Having peanut butter, jelly, and some bread within arms reach at all times is a great way to ensure that you’ll never be hungry for long.

4. Candy

eb.dorm4.feder

The dreaded moment when your sweet tooth starts talking and won’t shut up, but you have nothing to satisfy it with, will never happen to you if you keep something sugary on hand. Be it your favorite candy, a gourmet dark chocolate bar, or a jar of Nutella, you need something to give you a sugar rush every once and a while. It might not be the healthiest item on the list, but it’s absolutely necessary.

5. Chips

eb.dorm5.feder

Last but not least is something salty. No dorm would be complete without a quick fix of sodium combined with a satisfying crunch. This is the perfect late-night snack when you want something starchy to curb your hunger as you push through the last few paragraphs of your essay before you can go to sleep.

No matter what your taste is, these foods will keep your dorm room stocked and make sure that you never have to spend a night tossing and turning while your stomach grumbles.

Image Sources: Image 1Image 2Image 3, Image 4, Image 5, Image 6

Contact Rachel Feder at [email protected].