7 fitness apps to get you through midterms

Hannah Lee/File
J. Hannah Lee/File
Hannah Lee/File

The first round of midterms is upon us. Don’t let your fitness routine get sidelined. We’ve listed seven fitness-, nutrition- and wellness-related apps and websites to help boost your motivation and allow you to fit in a quick and purposeful workout.

1. Popsugar Fitness

PopSugar

Don’t have time for the gym? Download the Popsugar Fitness app for five- t0 60-minute workout videos. The trainers leading the videos are high-energy and engaging! Have fun and work up a sweat with various activities, from barre to interval training. The app is free on both the App and Google Play stores.

2. Runtastic

clog.runtastic.stifter

Runtastic will be your personal running buddy. The app is a GPS running, walking, marathon-training and fitness tracker app. You can track workouts from snowboarding to simply walking home and know how much elevation you’ve climbed, calories you’ve burned and much more! Runtastic is free in the App and Google Play stores and is upgradable to Runtastic Pro for $4.99.

3. Tabata Trainer

tabatatrainer

The Tabata Trainer app is an interval-training app that is easy to use. It’s perfect for fitness newbies or junkies who are looking for a fun way to mix up their fitness routine. Tabata Trainer is available for $1.99 in the App Store.

4. MyFitnessPal

clog.fitnessapps.stifter

MyFitnessPal is the “fastest and easiest to use” calorie counter in your pocket. The app has access to more than 4 million foods in its online inventory, making it easy as healthy pie to track your daily food consumption. Whether you’re looking to take control of your diet, lose weight or just track your food consumption and activities, MyFitnessPal has you covered. The free app is available in the App and Google Play stores.

5. SweatGuru

SweatGuru

SweatGuru is an online platform that brings people together around fitness. Founded by two women and UC Berkeley alumni, the idea behind the site is to foster fitness communities in your local neighborhood. SweatGuru allows you to search for, discover and register for classes at studios near you. SweatGuru is coming soon to the App and Google Play stores, but we recommend signing up now and checking out fitness classes near you!

6. SleepCycle

Man sleeping

SleepCycle is an app that makes waking up easier. Sleep is an extremely important aspect of maintaining a healthy lifestyle and high GPA while on campus. University Health Center recommends that college students get between seven and eight hours of sleep per night, but on average, students only get six to 6.9 hours. SleepCycle wakes you up during your lightest sleep phase, allowing you to awaken feeling rested, refreshed and ready to tackle the day, even after a late night of studying — although actually getting enough sleep is still the better alternative. SleepCycle is only $0.99 and is available in the App and Google Play stores.

7. Workout Trainer by Skimble

WorkoutTrainer

Skimble’s goal is to get you into the best shape of your life by providing thousands of free workouts from a variety of disciplines, such as yoga, weight loss, weightlifting and running. Skimble has a premium version of the app, which unlocks all the app’s capabilities. The Workout Trainer makes working out easy by guiding you through the various exercises, and the app is efficient because you do not need any exercise equipment to complete the workouts! Now there’s really no excuse. You can download Skimble in the App and Google Play stores.

Good luck on your midterms, and don’t forget to work up a sweat at least four days a week! We hope these seven apps can help motivate you to get moving!

Image Sources: Featured ImageImage 1, Image 2, Image 3, Image 4, Image 5, Image 6, Image 7

Contact Rebecca Stifter at [email protected].