UC Berkeley students react to ‘yes means yes,’ DREAM loan program legislation

On Sunday, Gov. Jerry Brown signed a “yes means yes” campus sexual assault bill and another bill that gives state loans to undocumented students — two pieces of legislation that will directly impact California colleges.

Senate Bill 967 states that consent in sexual intercourse is an “affirmative, conscious, and voluntary agreement.” Senate Bill 1210 creates the California DREAM Loan Program, which provides loans to undocumented students in the UC and CSU systems.

UC Berkeley junior Meghan Warner, a sexual assault survivor and chair of the ASUC Sexual Assault Commission, said she was excited that Brown signed SB 967, though she said the move did not come as a surprise. Warner has testified, lobbied and made public comments on behalf of the bill, which she said will help foster a “culture of consent.”

The university supported the legislation and incorporated the idea of affirmative consent in its new sexual harassment and sexual violence policy released earlier this year.

“We think it’s certainly a positive step that not only the University of California but that the state of California has taken it so seriously,” said UC spokesperson Dianne Klein.

ASUC External Affairs Vice President Caitlin Quinn said the law validates survivors and solidifies UC Berkeley’s adherence to upholding its policy.

“(The law) is miles and miles ahead of what any other state has done to put into law,” Quinn said, adding that similar legislation should be passed in other states in the next legislative cycle.

UC Berkeley senior Sofie Karasek, a sexual assault survivor who cofounded the survivor advocacy organization End Rape on Campus, noted that the law was an “important step forward” in changing campus culture. Still, she said, policy could improve by guaranteeing that cases of sexual assault will receive formal investigations if requested by the survivor.

UC policy grants formal investigations, but Karasek said they are not granted consistently.

UC Berkeley senior Aryle Butler, too, said it was a “common-sense” bill. She said it is significant because it outlines the way administrators should engage in policies around sexual assault education and investigation.

“It’s a catchall — a net to put everyone on the same page,” Butler said.

Butler was one of about 10 UC students who rallied at the state capitol and presented a petition to Brown’s office earlier this month, urging him to sign the bill. She was also among more than 30 current and former students who filed federal complaints against UC Berkeley for allegedly mishandling sexual assault cases.

Meanwhile, the signing of SB 1210 represents a progressive step, because it will provide more equitable access to financial aid for undocumented students, said Meng So, coordinator of the campus Undocumented Student Program.

“For many students, receiving admission to Berkeley is a moment of triumph,” So said. “But for many undocumented students, because they don’t have access to financial aid, oftentimes the question they first ask is, ‘Can I afford it?’ ”

UC Berkeley junior Ivan Villasenor Madriz, an undocumented student, said that while the legislation is admirable, it and several other California laws neglect undocumented students who do not qualify for Assembly Bill 540, which exempts certain nonresident students from paying out-of-state tuition.

“Even though there are all these opportunities … they still haven’t addressed the root of the issue,” Madriz said.

The affirmative consent law will be implemented as early as Jan. 1, and the undocumented loans will be disbursed beginning in the 2015-16 academic year.

Contact Suhauna Hussain at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @suhaunah.

• The women at Cal Berkeley are promiscuous, nasty, dishonest dogs. Your safest option with them is to video record your encounter; if she screams rape, post the video to the internet!

• xZ ya

Badalich’s crusade, if it goes beyond kooky California,will destroy the nation. Males will never be safe while alone with a female under these kinds of laws. Even after years of marriage, a passionate nonverbal exchange of foreplay leading to intercourse could be construed later as rape. Who’s going to remember to recite the enthusiastic verbal cues every single time?

Give it another ten years and feminists will have American women convinced that consensual sexual intercourse is rape, as a British feminist declared a few years back.

This law is written as intended by angry feminists to further destroy what’s left of the heterosexual mating ritual and nuclear family.
    It’s intended to create distrust, control men, seperate the sexes and slow down procreation.

Young men no longer want to marry and often look outside the country for brides. They look to cultures more old fashioned than the West.

Women now work until they can no longer bear and carry children. Any wonder why so much distrust between men and women on campus? They no longer work toward a common goal of family. They compete.

Badalich is getting top publicity. She’s shown corporations she can generate big results. She’s a game changer and has pushed her alleged rapist off the chess board. She’s dressed to kill. The sky’s the limit.
    In Ferguson protestors held up ISIS signs. The Nation of Islam stated it will recruit an Army from thugs of the cities.
    The rest of the world thinks we are soft. They believe Israel runs America, that women wear the pants, that men are bi and gay and kids obese and spoiled and teens druggies.
    They wait for our numbers to get a little older and smaller.

We will all be Islam in 30 years. Our way of life is not surviving demographically. We are being outbred by islam. Once they have a significant minority here they will combine with black Muslims and muscle us.
    They are already armed. They will seek to impose Sharia law in most towns.

Muslims have babies and their women stay home and raise the kids. Men have natural lives, free of dangerously empowered women. Women have natural lives, able to raise their babies and live in peace. They are not back to work a week after bearing a kid. They don’t have to slave in commerce until they are 90.
    We are not replacing ourselves with children. We are aging demographically and dying out because of feminazi insanity like this.