Weekender Picks

hardlystrictly_VEGA
Taylor A. Vega/Staff

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass, San Francisco’s free three-day music festival, is upon us. Take BART to Muni to Golden Gate Park to catch Dawes, Lone Bellow, Conor Oberst and countless others. Not interested in making the trek across the bay? Check out CalSLAM’s first poetry slam Friday night in 60 Evans.

— Libby Rainey

I had originally planned to write a fictitious story about a girl who dates Charles Manson for this week’s issue. I was trying to make some play on how the relationships we’re in are all sorts of crazy. But as I was finishing a draft, I came across this 2013 Rolling Stone interview with Manson — who, BTW, is still very alive. Here’s an excerpt discussing his girlfriend, whom he calls Star:

‘It wasn’t Charlie’s murderous reputation that drew her here but his pro-Earth environmental stance, known as ATWA, standing for air, trees, water and animals. She has stuck around to become his most ardent defender, to run various give-Charlie-a-chance websites (mansondirect.com, atwaearth.com, a Facebook page, a Tumblr page) and to visit him every Saturday and Sunday, up to five hours a day, assuming he’s not in solitary or otherwise being hassled by the Man. “Yeah, well, people can think I’m crazy,” she likes to say. “But they don’t know. This is what’s right for me. This is what I was born for.”’

— Curan Mehra

While each week This American Life “picks a theme and tells us stories on that theme,” the creators have found one story that is dramatic and powerful enough to last an entire season. In the new series, Serial, Sarah Koenig covers a complicated murder mystery in Baltimore. The first and second episodes come out Oct. 3. Also, listen to last week’s episode of This American Life, which included released recordings that Carmen Segarra, an ex-bank examiner for the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, recorded during her time at the Fed.

— Anya Schultz

Contact the editors at [email protected]