Students spring into opposition after Bill Maher announced as keynote speaker

billmaher_mug

Update: The campus group in charge of selecting commencement speakers voted to rescind the invitation to Bill Maher. Read more here.

In response to an announcement last week that comedian Bill Maher would speak at UC Berkeley’s fall commencement, an online petition started circulating Thursday that demanded that the campus rescind its invitation.

The Change.org petition was authored by ASUC Senator Marium Navid, who is backed by the Middle Eastern, Muslim and South Asian Coalition, or MEMSA, and Khwaja Ahmed, an active MEMSA member. The petition, which urges students to boycott the decision and asks the campus to stop him from speaking, has already gathered more than 1,400 signatures as of Sunday.

Maher, a stand-up comedian and host of HBO’s Real Time with Bill Maher, is best known for his often-polarizing political commentary. Recently, Maher faced some backlash after controversial remarks regarding Islam during a segment on his Oct. 3 show.

“It’s not an issue of freedom of speech, it’s a matter of campus climate,” Navid said. “The First Amendment gives him the right to speak his mind, but it doesn’t give him the right to speak at such an elevated platform as the commencement. That’s a privilege his racist and bigoted remarks don’t give him.”

Last spring, 50 students and professors at Haverford College protested the invitation of former UC Berkeley chancellor Robert Birgeneau to speak at their commencement because of his handling of the Occupy Cal protests in 2011. In response, Birgeneau declined the invitation.

The Californians, a student group that helps organize campus events, contacts and nominates commencement speakers, but University Relations has the final say in confirming the selection. Maher reached out to UC Berkeley asking to present the address in August.

Despite her disagreement with his views, Claire Chiara, president of Berkeley College Republicans and a former staff member of The Daily Californian, said she has no issue with his confirmation as commencement speaker.

“He’s a very prominent public figure, and I’m certain that he’s not going to treat a commencement speech at a prestigious university the way he treats his talk show,” Chiara said.

Navid, however, said a different set of expectations must be held for a commencement speaker. According to her, Maher insults people of all religions and backgrounds.

“(Jon) Stewart and (Stephen) Colbert are critical of religion, too, but Bill Maher has, on several occasions, said to rise up against religious people and religious institutions and take action,” Ahmed said.

Navid’s office launched a campaign called “Free Speech, Not Hate Speech” asking students to contact Chancellor Nicholas Dirks and Helena Weiss-Duman, the director of external relations.

Weiss-Duman could not be reached for comment

While campus senior Alex Chang understands that Maher is a comedian who uses satire, he believes that having Maher give the keynote address “could definitely ruin someone’s graduation day.”

The commencement ceremony will be held Dec. 20 at 3 p.m. in Haas Pavilion.

Contact Heyun Jeong at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @heyunjeong.

A previous version of this article stated the air date of a Real Time with Bill Maher episode as Oct. 6. In fact, it aired Oct. 3.

• http://www.sfcollegecenter.org Mr Isaac

Maher has a right to speak, but he has been excommunicated from the Atheist Association of America for comments befitting a Zionist. On Judgment Day he will be sent to spend eternity in a Madrassa reciting Joan Rivers jokes from script.

• Arafat

Isaac, the Muslm apologist.

Muslims live in a world of Orwellian double speak, where war is peace, slavery is freedom, and death is life and Mr. Isaac is their spokesman.

Mr. Isaac can also spell.

• Dan Spitzer

Mr. Isaac might be able to spell. But it is logic which his inane posts call into question…

You read Steinbeck. What would you know about logic?

• Dan Spitzer

This topic and the petition promulgated vs Bill Maher’s appearance at the commencement is terrific. It has led to SJP, MSA and the pro-Palestinian lefties to come out of the closet to condemn free speech. Here all this time these hypocrites have been extolling the virtues of the Free Speech Movement while quietly condemning all those who differ with their perspectives and demanding that such people be squelched.
    Thank you, SJP, MSA and your loony left supporters. You have shown us your true beliefs. No wonder you support the Palestinians, whose leaders jail, torture and/or kill those who differ with them. Well now you have come out of the closet, as all with eyes to read can plainly see…

• Bob Bell

Berkeley – celebrating 50 years of free speech for me, but not for thee.

• Sajwert

I’m sorry, but it seems to me that not listening to what another person says just because they disagree with some aspects of what you believe in just shows that bigotry works both ways. If my opinion is more important to me than listening to your side of the subject, I am closed minded and unwilling to acknowledge that in reality I DO NOT believe in free speech, only in MY free speech.

Much of what Maher is against any right thinking person should also be against. The abuse and denigration of women and holding them almost hostage to rules such as not being able to leave a home without a male relative in tow, or being unable to drive themselves places, or being required to cover their entire bodies with sheets, doing some of the awful things they do to women in the name of religion or family honor is evil, disgusting, morally repugnant to any decent person.

• Steve_in_MA

It is typical that activist Muslims are going to attack the messenger. Maybe they’ll have a Fatwa issued to have Maher killed. The simple fact is that they can’t bear and outright refuse to hear the objective truth about their own faith. No faith is perfect. Islam has warts. Shutting out Maher won’t make Islam seem any prettier in the mirror.

• b4goodnowplez

This is the Islamic way — first stop Maher. Then censor any defamation of Mohammed. Then if criticism — behead him. Muslims must NOT be able to stop free speech at OUR renowned educational institutions. Berkeley is not for Muslims it’s for ALL Americans, including FREE and unabashed expression of ideas.

• Sunshine

Since when has the truth become ‘hate’ speech? One must wonder why are Muslims trying to quash honest discussion about their ideology and their ideal guy, Mohamed.

Try speaking about the atrocities and barbarity committed and sanctioned by Mohamed. See how fast the subject is changed and how ‘hate’ speech is used to justify this. Was Mohamed so hateful towards non-Muslims that one cannot speak about it? Is ISIS simply following in the footsteps of Mohamed? Is it hateful to speak about this by providing important facts of Mohamed’s life?

As to ‘racism’, anything you can convert in and out of is not a race. Strange that Christian bashing is not ‘racism’ and Jew bashing has actually become trendy. But say the word ‘muslim’, and your brain goes into a spin trying to avoid the ‘racist’ stigma so successfully attached to it.

Yes, my friends. You have allowed yourselves to become second-class citizens through your own cowardice and ignorance. Without realizing it, you have submitted to Islam’s blasphemy law (Sharia). Shame on all of you.

• Jerry S

If only Maher stuck to bashing Christianity, he’d still be in good standing with his leftist comrades…

• An Angry Scotsman

As long as we live in a day and age where Muslims in the world still practice honor killings and death to apostates, this man has no foothold against Maher.

• Mick Bodine

Typical liberals. You must silence anyone who doesn’t follow your world view. What are you afraid of?

• bullet2354

They are very afraid . . . .

• Johnny Argon

1) what part of what Maher spewed in this text was not factual
    B) where was the Angst and Outrage from these Minds of Mush liberal academia types when Maher called women he disagrees with KuntsTwatsand bimbos ?
    Oh wait , being misogynist sexist bigot is acceptable when directed at conservative women

• Charles Brown

Speaking as a liberal on both social & economic issues, I think Bill Maher is the Bill O’Reilly of the left; arrogant and all too often wrong! Frankly I couldn’t care less as to whether he speaks at their graduation, if the majority of the students don’t want him, then so be it.

• Dan Spitzer

How “liberal” of you, Charley Brown, to come out vs free speech…

• Charles Brown

Evidently you and Jeff Chang have difficulty with the word “if.”

• Jeff Chang

“Speaking as a liberal on both social & economic issues, I think Bill Maher is the Bill O’Reilly of the left”

It’s nice to have ideology cloud your judgement. Oh… the Bill O’Reilly of the left is Cenk Uger.

“arrogant and all too often wrong”

Where was he wrong on this? Please cite the EXACT quotations and refute them.

“if the majority of the students don’t want him, then so be it.”
      Wow. At UC BERKLEY, of all places, a petition can only get 2,400 signatures? I could get more regarding the Chicken or Pig “rights”.:

• Charles Brown

What part of the the word “if” confuses you?

• dittoheadadt

So they’re defending a Dark Ages religion that stones to death gays and that honor-kills its women?

Good to know.

• bullet2354

The news that Berkley students don’t get:

2014.10.27 (Kunduz, Afghanistan) – A suicide bomber and three Taliban gunmen storm a courthouse and murder ten others.
    2014.10.27 (Jurf al-Sakhar, Iraq) – A Sunni suicide bomber targets a crowd of Shiites and snuffs out over two dozen lives.
    2014.10.26 (al-Manassah, Yemen) – Twenty are left dead after an al-Qaeda suicide car bomber plows into a group of Shia.
    2014.10.26 (Raqqa, Syria) – Three men are beheaded for ‘cursing Allah’.
    2014.10.25 (Anbar, Iraq) – Three children at a playground are pulled into pieces by an Islamic State mortar round.
    2014.10.24 (al-Ameriya, Iraq) – A dozen people lose their lives to various injuries suffered during an ISIS mortar attack.

3 Days; 4 Countries; 5 Bomb Blasts; ~75 Dead ‘targeted’ Innocents;

“In 3 Days”

• Folina Rai

Maher is a lunatic, he calls radical people like Same Harris and Ann Coulter on his show and than demonize all Muslims.

Here is what Ann Coulter once wrote about Muslims : “We must Attack Muslim countries, kill their leaders, convert them to Christianity.”

This is what Sam Harris wrote in his book : “What will we do if an Islamist regime, which grows dewy-eyed at the mere mention of paradise, ever acquires long-range nuclear weaponry? If history is any guide, we will not be sure about where the offending warheads are or what their state of readiness is, and so we will be unable to rely on targeted, conventional weapons to destroy them. In such a situation, the only thing likely to ensure our survival may be a nuclear first strike of our own. Needless to say, this would be an unthinkable crime—as it would kill tens of millions of innocent civilians in a single day”

So this guy invites Anti-Muslim lunatics on his shows and never questions them but questions total Muslim population of world that follows Islam.

• Arafat

From today’s news…

“A Saudi man accused of organising a mixed-gender concert will spend two years in prison and be lashed 500 times at a girls’ college in front of its students.

The man was arrested by police at a rest house in the western Saudi town of Taif last week along with other men and college girls during a dancing party that violated the Gulf Kingdom’s strict rules against mixed-gender public gatherings.”

• Donna Lee Luiz

Better yet, does anyone give thought to why women must cover their heads? For if a woman’s hair is seen by some poor defenseless male and his penis becomes erect, she is stoned because the beauty of her “uncovered hair” enticed him? I teach school in the Bay Area and when one of my young female Muslim girls turns 9 or 10, her hair is immediately covered, while the little boys run with the wind in their hair….does this practice change when they live here in the U.S., no it stays intact….a practice shared by all Muslims.

• Arafat

Sharia law dictates this custom and Islam and Sharia law cannot be separated.
          This is one reason Islam is unconstitutional as Sharia law is most definitely unconstitutional with its emphasis on unequal freedoms for different people, i.e., infidels.
          It is also why countries like Saudi Arabia and Qatar (and many other Muslim countries) refuse to sign the UN’s Universal Declaration of Human Rights for that Declaration mandates equality among all, something Islam strictly forbids.

• Dan Spitzer

And in many countries where it is stiflingly hot, women must wear chador or burqas. If they don’t, they likely would be killed on the spot by the vigilantes of the Mohammed who, for women is less a Prophet than a Loss…

• Folina Rai

Blame Saudis for it, not all Muslims.

• doug

Blaming Islam and Muslims are two different things. Muslims are not to blame, Islam is.

• M2000

Are you stupid to equal Ann Coulter with Atheists like Sam Harris and Bill Maher whom are Atheists and Coulter a Christian? I’d prefer universities like UC Berkeley and our government to stop having oil contracts with the Saudis and any other similar government.

You okay with Saudi Arabia cooperating with Berkeley even though it’s an apartheid state for women?

• parkwood1920

So you’re against Saudi Arabia’s misogyny, but not Bill Maher’s or Sam Harris’? You know Maher and Harris have some horrifically misogynist views about women, not much different from those of the misogynist Middle Easterners Americans are so afraid of. Also, what makes Maher or Harris any different than Ann Coulter? I don’t see her reactionary views on gender or religion as any different that these two fake liberals.

• Arafat

parkwood,
          Harris and Maher’s views on women’s right could not be much more different than those of Islam. Muslims cut off their children’s clitoris, they beat and even kill their daughters and wives for bringing “shame” upon their name, they stone women to death, they throw acid on their faces, they kill the for going to school.
          Thank you for providing me an opportunity to teach people about what Islam practices and preaches.

• Folina Rai

FGM is cultural issue, you ultra hateful ignorant blame Muslims for it, Christian countries like Eritrea and Ethiopia also do it , Why don’t you blame Christianity for it ? Christians are still killing witches in Africa, why don’t you blame all Christian for it ? Your bigotry clearly shows up in your comments. Bigotry is the thing which should be banned first if we want real solution.

• Arafat

Folina,
            Muslims commit 90%+ of FGMs.
            When Christians commit crimes like rape, torture, murder, etc…they are sinning. They are acting in defiance of the Golden Rule and the teachings and example of Christ.
            When Muslims commit rape, torture, murder, etc…they are promised virgins in Paradise and are acing in accordance with the teachings of Islam and the example Mohammed set.
            I guess this distinction escapes you OR you are just another example of someone who wants to hide the truth about Islam from being publicly acknowledged.

• Folina Rai

BS

• Arafat

Folina BS,

This is for your edification:

It is against Islam to rape Muslim women, but Muhammad actually encouraged the rape of others captured in battle. This hadith provides the context for the Qur’anic verse (4:24):The Apostle of Allah (may peace be upon him) sent a military expedition to Awtas on the occasion of the battle of Hunain. They met their enemy and fought with them. They defeated them and took them captives.

Some of the Companions of the Apostle of Allah (may peace be upon him) were reluctant to have intercourse with the female captives in the presence of their husbands who were unbelievers. So Allah, the Exalted, sent down the Qur’anic verse: (Sura 4:24) “And all married women (are forbidden) unto you save those (captives) whom your right hands possess.” (Abu Dawud 2150, also Muslim 3433)

Actually, as the hadith indicates, it wasn’t Muhammad, but “Allah the Exalted” who told the men to rape the women in front of their husbands – which is all the more reason not to think of Islam as being the same as other religions.

• Oreberry

Arafat, This whole practice of every time mentioning “the Apostle of Allah, may peace be upon him,” smacks of obsessive-compulsive disorder and brain-washing. Your religion is a big step backward for all humanity.

• Arafat

I agree completely. Islam is to religion what poison is to drinking water.

• Andrea Jones Torres

Mentally unhinged psychopaths to be sure. IMO all religions depends on their flock being sheeple, but there is a hierarchy of dangerous ideology and right now Islam stands alone as the leader of that danger.

• mexhapati

all religion, yes all of them – sux

• 2boomer99

Can’t take the truth. You have to be a troll as no one is so stupid.

• Pwll

You clearly know nothing about Islam or Mohammed. I’m a Christian woman with a Master’s of Divinity degree. You need to do some research and find out the truth before suggesting that Islam promotes what some radical Muslim sects embrace. Do you think Jesus taught the anti-woman things that some very radical Christian sects promote today? He did not. And Mohammed was actually promoting a new and better life for women than had been the case before he began preaching a new way to live. That some people have distorted it is abominable, but the same thing has happened with the teachings of Jesus.

• Arafat

Pwll is practicing the Muslim practice of taqiyya. Taqiyya is Arabic for deception so as to fool infidels into believing Islam is not what it is.
            An example of this is when Muslims tell us Islam is a religion of peace, tolerance and compassion. How many times have we heard this from Muslims and their water-boys?
            Islam = peace, tolerance and compassion about as much as Nazism did.

• Dan Spitzer

In the Koran, Mohammed says that female circumcision is a good thing. And that women should completely cover themselves. Is that a good thing, Pwll? It’s straight from the pedophile Prophet’s mouth. Is his penetrating his fourth wife when she was only nine years old a good thing?

• Malby

Let’s see the cites to the Koran.

• Jeff Chang

“FGM is cultural issue”

Which is mostly prevelent in Islamic countries due to the religious CULTURE.

“countries like Eritrea and Ethiopia also do it”

Hasty Generalization fallacy.

“Christians are still killing witches in Africa, why don’t you blame all Christian for it ?”

Arguement from the outlier / Hasty generalization.

• Arafat

Jeff,

You and I know Folina is suffering from the following:

“As Nikolai Sennels said, a Muslim never sees himself as the
            cause of his own actions. It is all external reality and everything is the will
            of Allah or the fault of the Big Bad Infidel. Hence the eternal victimhood
            status, the rage, the search for external culprits, hence the jihad. You can’t
            expect anything else from people who are incapable of taking a long hard look
            at themselves and who have been told since the cradle that this look is only
            reserved for the infidels.”

• Folina Rai

I am not generalizing , I telling what is true.

Eriteria 90% FGM
            Ethiopia 80% FGM

Now tell how many Muslims do FGM in Indonesia which has largest population of Muslims .

Its you who is doing Hasty Generalization not me.

• Jeff Chang

May I have the general religious breakdown of FGM across ALL countries?

• Jeff Chang

“Now tell how many Muslims do FGM in Indonesia which has largest population of Muslims .”
            In Indonesia, FGM is widespread among Muslim women and considered a religious necessity.[71][73][74] More than 90% of Muslim adults support the practice to continue.[74][75] In 2013, the Indonesian Ulema Council – Indonesia’s top Muslim clerical body – ruled that it favors FGM, stating that although it is not mandatory, it is still “morally recommended”.[46]

• Dan Spitzer

Folina, try to get something right. FYI Eritrea’s population is overwhelmingly Muslim. The toxicity of it’s practice of that fine religion unfortunately spread to its neighbor. Ethiopian leaders are today trying to stamp out FGM–not so the barbarian imams who rule Eritrea…

• skeets11

You sure are making a stretch to acquaint any level of Christian violence with what some Muslims churn out on a daily, if not hourly basis. I don’t think I have seen any witches beheaded on Youtube lately, yet I have seen Muslims do so.

• Beagle

Eritrea is between 40-50% Muslim. Over 30% of Ethiopia is Muslim. There is a great deal of FGM in the UK. You arguing it is the Christians who do it?
            http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/oct/20/uk-introduce-measures-stop-girls-taken-abroad-fgm
            Quote: An estimated 137,000 women and girls in England and Wales are affected by FGM, according to a study by Equality Now and City University.
            — —
            You do realize that Islam encourages FGM is in Wikipedia, right?
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_genital_mutilation
            Quote:
            “Surveys have shown a widespread belief, particularly in Mali, Eritrea, Mauritania, Guinea and Egypt, that FGM is a religious requirement.”
            http://www.alislam.org/library/articles/Female-circumcision-and-its-standing-in-Islamic-law.pdf

• vet2be1973

They kill their daughters for being raped, and then let the rapist go free.

• M2000

Wow, you’re equaling Bill Maher and Sam Harris with Saudi Arabia? Bwahahahaha!

• Dan Spitzer

parkwood, have you ever even watched Bill Maher’s show? He and Sam Harris are as pro-feminist as they come. It’s the Islamists who are outrageously misogynist, with their FGM, stoning of women who have been raped, honor murder of teenage girls who their fathers believe have “shamed” the family, and-of course-common matrimony of preteen or young teenage girls justified by the fine example of the pedophile Prophet Mohammed who married his fourth wife at age six and then “patiently” waited to penetrate her until she turned nine.

• 2boomer99

You are stupid beyond belief. Obviously you are an art or English major lacking any friggin’ critical thinking skills. Either that or you are a troll.

• Liza Jones

Where is your evidence that Bill. Maher and Sam Harris have misogynistic views? Please cite. Otherwise it is clear you do not understand what the word misogyny means. Both men are categorically opposed to misogyny. Their attacks on Islam are precisely because Islam endorses misogyny.

• parkwood1920

Wow, there are literally hundreds of news articles you could have search for on Google detailing Maher’s debate with Ben Affleck on his own show, in addition to Maher’s misogynist comments comparing Hamas to a battered woman, but you want me to cite them for you? Seriously? I’m not your personal research assistant. If you want me to find sources that you can easily look for yourself, you’re gonna have to pay me.

• Daniel Dow

There was nothing misogynist in any of Maher’s or Harris’ comments in their debate with Ben Afleck and there is nothing misogynist about comparing the Palestinians’ relationship with Hamas to that of a battered woman’s relationship with her batterer. Simply mentioning women does not make you a misogynist. To be a misogynist you must believe that women are inferior to, and should be subordinate to, men as is preached in the Koran. If you believe that Maher or Harris are misogynists, please post a quote or video where they say or do something that is evidence for that. I did a Google search and I don’t see any evidence for it.

• Malby

I watched the Maher Affleck debate, and your thought leader, Ben, missed the point entirely. Do you as a Muslim reject the subjugation of women, the murder of naysayers, and other tenets of the Koran? As for the battered woman joke, (1) he is a comic and (2) it spoke to the relationship between Palestinians and Hamas, a metaphor.

• array528

Show evidence of Maher’s and Harris’ “misogyny”. Wait you can’t because they speak out for female equality ad nauseam…

TOOL.

• mexhapati

maher and harris hate women? please provide evidence or you lose total credibility

• vet2be1973

Uh, just because Maher has attacked certain women (Palin and others) and has made misogynistic and derogatory comments about them, he is not generally misogynist. Quite the opposite, he seems to defend the rights of women on a regular basis.

• Dan Spitzer

This is total bullshit, Folina. Unlike you fine SJP/MSA fanatics, Maher has people on whose opinion differs widely from his. Maher rips Coulter and Harris apart. If you ever bothered to watch his show, you would know this.
      All you seem to know about Maher is that he is critical of Islamic subjugation of women, gays and dissenters and he traces that disgusting behavior to its source, the so-called prophet Mohammed and the Koran.
      Maher is willing to discuss and argue other points of view, something few Islamists are willing to do without threatening to squelch their speech…or worse. After all, you can be killed by Islamists just for drawing a cartoon..

• KiteFlyer89

I just love the mindless implication that I’m seeing in a lot of posts since the Affleck thing that Maher is a neo-con. Even a cursory glance at most anything Maher has ever said will show this not to be true, but people mindlessly believe it because it sounds like it must be right.

I thought Truthiness was for the right-wing…

• Dan Spitzer

Yes, these people are indeed ignorant fools. Maher gave megabucks for Obama’s re-election and is to the left of the Democratic party on most issues. He has condemned US military intervention in Afghanistan and other areas of the Middle East. But somehow, SJP, MSA, JVP and loony left ignorance prevails and Maher is seen as a conservative.
          What unbridled idiocy! But that’s what you get if you dare criticize the sexism and tyranny of the Islamists, particularly that of those poor, poor Palestinians…

• KiteFlyer89

Whoa there bud. He once quoted a Pew poll and proceeded to talk about Islam the way he’s talked about Christianity for literally decades, and, is therefore not a respectable member of society.

• Malby

And the mindless implication that Affleck is, well, due anything because he is a celebrity. Affleck missed the point and misses the point. Typical knee-jerk politically correct. No analysis.

• Folina Rai

I saw just the 2 year old video where Maher asks to Coulter that if she would still like “Muslim coutries to be invaded and their leaders killed and Muslims converted to Christianity”

Coulter Answers that ” this should be the policy” And then they all laugh.

When was the last time Maher talked about death of 600000 Indian and Chinese girls in wombs ? They kill girls because they prefer boys. Mohammed was the first person in history who banned murder of newborn girls. Those barbaric people are still killing girls because they are girls.

When was the last time Maher talked about witch hunting by Christians in Africa ?

If Maher was not bigoted he would have discussed about issues all over world not just Muslim countries.

• Jeff Chang

“Mohammed was the first person in history who banned murder of newborn girls. Those barbaric people are still killing girls because they are girls.”
          Was that because he could practice thighing on the infant or just marry them when it was nine (9)?

• Arafat

Actually most Islamic historians say Mohammed married Aisha when she was six and raped her when she was nine. He was 54 at the time he raped her.

• Dan Spitzer

Mohammed, according to the holy Koran, married his fourth wife when she was six and first had intercourse with her three years later. But give Mohammed credit: he’s a pedophile who was willing to wait until his child “bride” was nine before he penetrated her…

• Dan Spitzer

If they laughed, it would be a cynical response to Coulter whom Maher stridently opposes. But then again, you don’t seem to understand irony or sarcasm.
          Maher has indeed opposed infanticide on many occasions. And indeed he does oppose oppression throughout the world, not just among Islamists where it is oh-so-conspicuous.
          Oh and by the way, many Islamists support the execution by stoning of girls who were raped or accused of adultery…

• M2000

The Muslim fanatics took down a Christian leader in CAR, most of his followers ended up forming a militia groups that went after them. Gee, I guess it must be okay for Muslim fanatics to form their own militia group, Christians and other non-Muslims can’t.

• doug

Yes, those things are all barbaric… Will you at least admit that several of Islam’s tenets are equally barbaric?

And do you actually believe the abortion of an unborn child is equally as horrific as stoning a woman to death for marrying outside of her faith or a man for committing apostasy? These are real things that happen in the sixth most populous country in the world because a huge majority of its population believes in the literal interpretation of the qur’an.

• Oreberry
        • Malby

Not sure how to break this to you, but Maher is a comedian. The fact that he laughs at Coulter has a lot more to do with him thinking her a nut case than with him agreeing with her. And Maher has the comprehensive answer: all religion is delusion and people need to graduate from it to rationality.

• Andrea Jones Torres

I seriously doubt that folina person has ever watched an episode of real time, her comments are idiotic.

• 2boomer99

Folina is a troll. Trying to stir it up. Only smarter trolls can detect.

• KiteFlyer89

The implication he agrees with Anne Coulter because he has her on his show is completely idiotic guilt by association.

• M2000

How the heck can he agree with Coulter if Maher’s an Atheist?

• KiteFlyer89

Because the individual writing these replies has no idea who Bill Maher is and is probably responding to crummy clickbait articles portraying him as an ISLAMOPHOBE and working backwards in his mind.

• M2000

So you “moderate” Muslims and Leftists can say whatever hateful things you can say on this forum, but you want to shut up critics of Islam.

I just read a comment from one of you claiming that Christians, Jews and Atheists are some of the most hateful people. Really? You really go around and play this childish game?

• Folina Rai

He never questions her attitude towards other while blame every one who is not there to answer him. he is stupid coward.

• M2000

Stop making up anti-Christian conspiracy theories.

• Folina Rai

I am done with my work here, see you around on other forums.

• M2000

Quitter.

• Dan Spitzer

Done your work? No, you will go on to join SJP and MSA as it continues to spew filthy lies about Israel while it mourns the hole the Palestinians have have dug for themselves. And you will never, NEVER criticize Muslims in general and the Palestinians in particular for their overt anti-Semitism, call for Jewish genocide, maltreatment of women and gays and suppression of dissent. Indeed, you and your co-religionists will continue to support gender apartheid and bigotry and squeeze out the sewage of falsehoods to justify your oppressive “values.”

• Dan Spitzer

Come on, Folina, admit it: You don’t actually watch his show. If anything, you just watch excerpts your moronic co-religionist pals send you.
          If you did watch the show, you would see that Maher takes Coulter’s perspectives apart. But then again, because Maher rightfully maligns the sickness that is widely practiced thanks to Islam, you need to fabricate excuses to knock him

• KiteFlyer89

“He never questions her attitude towards other ”

Watch any segment – ANY SEGMENT – in which Anne Coulter has been on his show. Notice how Bill disagrees with her when she says things, since they are on completely opposite ends of the ideological spectrum in the US. Notice her appearances in Bush’s term, for example, where she would be supportive of the Iraq War and Maher would vocally oppose it as he always did. Take note of how Coulter defends Christianity and the American evangelical right-wing while Maher mocks them as he has for the past 30 years or so.

Alternatively: don’t actually watch any of this and continue working off your “this must be true!” gut instinct, as you have been doing. I suspect you’ll do this one.

• Malby

So you watch his show? He is always calling her out, mocking her. He books her for the entertainment value, and to educate people about what level of crazy is out there.

• Sir Gregory Tufton Balls

Islam is a hive of scum and villainy. It is oppressive to women, gays,
      non-muslims, and averse to free speech and free ideas. It is a 7th century
      cult in need of a Reformation and Enlightenment, of an Age of Reason and a
      Renaissance. It demands all followers make a pilgrimage to a big rock in Saudi
      Arabia so that followers can throw smaller rocks at the big rock. That’s a dumb
      as a bag of rocks. Islam commits atrocities on every continent on the planet
      and save Antarctica and would make murder there if the Jews decided to make a
      home there. Islam makes murder everywhere it is found from the Americas to
      the Middle East to Africa and Asia. New York City, Moscow, Jakarta, Bombay, Beslan, Elixhu and Kashgar (China), Madrid, Nairobi,Tel Aviv, Mumbai, Mogadishu, Northern Nigeria, Southern Sudan, Southern Philippines, Southern Thailand, Argentina and EVERY. SINGLE. MAJORITY. MUSLIM. COUNTRY. Western liberals, as Maher has noted, have been the West’s sole enablers and are always the group aggrieved Muslims run to for cover in Western states. And the left is eager to give it to them. The left has NO PROBLEM condemning the entirety of the Catholic Church when it comes to priests raping boys. But when it comes to Islam making chaos and death around the globe – it’s all about calls for understanding and for not making sweeping generalizations. Here’s a sweeping generalization for you – Islam is a death cult. It’s the only thing it has evolved and improved at in the last 1000 years – making murder.

• Folina Rai

Christians , Jews and Atheists are worst people are world

Not much far in history just last 100 years
        WW2, WW1, Vietnam, Congo, Rwanda … All non Muslim violence and wars = 200 million dead in last 100 years
        Iraq-Iran , Syria, Bangladesh … All Muslim violence and wars = less than 10 million dead in last 100 years

ISLAM = PEACE

• M2000

What a filthy bigoted thing to say, wait I thought the entire point from you “moderates” were to oppose bigotry unless you’re the ones doing it I guess. Didn’t some of you guys and gals supported the Axis Powers? Or how about all those empires that happen to be Islamic like the Ottoman Empire?

Yea, how can you deny that they were as violent and gruesome like their non-Muslim imperial counterparts? Are you that stubborn and blind that you’d silence that brand of criticism?

• lesmiles

since 1948 muslims have killed 11 million alone a little under the Christian level but you are trying to beat the record

• kislips

Yes, Isis is a perfect example of peace!

• Arafat

Muslims live in a world of Orwellian double speak, where war is peace, slavery is freedom, and death is life.

• Alvaro Nieto

Wow are you delusional, your head must hurt from all that effort to deny reality, either that or you’re an eight year old as your out of context comparisons are laughably, if horrifically, ludicrous.

• vet2be1973

By chance, you aren’t a neocon, are you? I have previously seen such delusion only among neoconservatives.

• Kehvan

Your comments, not only are ignorant, but also quit moronic too.

• Oreberry

Too bad for you his comments are absolutely correct.

• Donna Lee Luiz

What show were you watching? Why do the knee-jerkers like yourself, who seem intelligent, let your emotions run rough-shod over your logic and intelligence….Ann Coulter does not represent Mahers’ views on the Muslim people…if you had actually listened to what he and Harris had to say, it was in part that: fundamentalist Muslims and more moderate, peaceful Muslims although never, sharing per se the notion of extreme violence toward anyone, still share the common beliefs of the Que’ran which mandates hate and violence toward females and homosexuals….guess if Obama wanted to retaliate against all of the political cartoonists who have depicted him slobbering over a slice of watermelon or a hangmen’s noose dangling over the White House, we would have to throw out our valued right to “free speech”, something you don’t seem to care about…

• Arafat

Fortunately millions of non-Muslims are being forced by
        world events to wake up to how truly dangerous Islam is. We ex-Muslims know
        that Mohammedanism must go the way of the dinosaur or the planet will drown in
        the blood of sharia as Muslims enforce the laws of Islam.

• Alfred Puglisi

Muslims are the lunatics. All the world recognizes this.Sam Harris is an atheist as is Bill Maher and they realize that in the hierarchy of religious insanity. Muslims are at the top. You don’t see Christians flying planes into buidlings or killing apostates.

• Malby

In fairness, that all needs to be said with “any more” after it. All religions are delusional.

• Steve Gregg

While Coulter is over the line to demand we attack Muslim countries, kill their leaders, and convert them to Christianity, the reverse of that is exactly Islamic doctrine: Attack non-Muslim countries, kill their leaders, and convert them to Islam. It’s interesting that liberals scorch Coulter for such a view but give Islam a pass for its reciprocal view. Why?

• Dan Spitzer

Folina, it is apparent that you do not watch Bill Maher’s show. Most of his guests are liberal to radical and oppose US policy in the Middle East. This includes Reza Aslan, who supports Iran’s attempt to create nuclear weaponry. I have little doubt but that you also applaud that lunatic theocracy’s attempt to garner the nuclear power to use against Israel.
      It is true that most of Bill Maher’s guests disapprove of the misogyny and homophobia so widespread in the Islamic world where it is justified by tyrannical regimes and despotic religious leaders. But then most people with any semblance of ethics would be critical of commonplace Muslim gender apartheid, brutalization of gays, and suppression of dissenters. ‘Course, there are people like Folina who apparently approve of such unseemly sexism and bigotry and in this country, the right to assert their appalling values is permitted by our First Amendment.
      On the other hand, people like Folina are projecting the appalling values justified by so many Muslims via their interpretation of the Koran and it is this attempt to project this tyranny upon those who disagree with them such as Maher which is so manifest in what Muslims articulate today, not the least of which is seen on Berkeley’s campus.
      And speaking of sick values, have you ever heard from MSA, SJP, or their mentor Hate’em Bazian a scintilla or criticism of the Palestinians favorite political party, Hamas, and its advocacy of Jewish genocide as justified by the Koran and its corollaries. Could there be any greater evidence of sickness stemming from this particular religion?

• Arafat

Once again Muslims and their water-boys are doing everything they can to stifle free speech.
      Islam does not mean peace it means subjugation. Subjugation, not questioning, not thinking, intolerance of change, intolerance of criticism. Islam means intolerance, hatred of others (infidels) and repression and punishment for and of all individual freedoms.
      Muslims have a problem with Maher because he refuses to stand down. His insistence on free speech and on openly and honestly criticizing Islam throws Muslims into a rage for their religion cannot withstand open and honest questioning. They know this and they will do everything within their power to prevent this. Just as they rioted, killed and acted like maniacs after the Mohammed cartoon so too will we likely see tis if they are unsuccessful in shutting Maher down.
      Bill Maher now joins the club with members like Salman Rushdie, Ayaan Ali Hirsi, Lars Vilk, Theo Van Gogh and others who require 24/7 security because they had the courage to speak openly and honestly about Islam. Many of these club members are dead including Van Gogh who was killed by a Muslim and for the crime of criticizing Islam.
      What sort of death cult issues fatwas against those who dare question its authority?
      What sort of cult is incapable of dialogue, openness and criticism?

• Folina Rai

Few facts for bigots here.

In 614 AD, just 8 years before Mohammed started any war, Jews massacred 60000 Christians in Jerusalem and enslaved another 30000. No Muslim hater is going to tell you above fact because they want you to hate Muslims.

Mohammed was moderate of that time.

As for the terrorism, Most Israeli prime ministers and presidents were terrorists who killed hundreds of British soldiers and countless Arabs for creation of Israel, so basically they were no different from ISIS. They did exactly same thing what ISIS is doing right now.

As for the Mohammed’s marriage to Ayesha. It was pretty normal even 120 years ago,

Under English common law age of consent was only 7 years in 1895 of Delaware it was 10 in most of America.

So don’t believe whatever Muslim haters tell you, they will always lie to you, search for truth yourself. go look for it, not on hateful sites, those sites are never going to tell you truth.

• M2000

So would a moderate marry a nine-year-old girl? Or how about becoming Emperor and then preventing criticism or how about once he died, his followers had a civil war of their own that’s still going on to this day?

You think you’re so different from every other faith, but you’re wrong.

• doug

You don’t understand the definition of the word exactly and you trivialize the barbarism that is being committed.

http://madworldnews.com/isis-decapitates-places-heads-spikes/

• E-Dog

Funny that you would sanctimoniously tell us to search for the truth
        ourselves, because the 35 people who liked your comment were apparently
        too lazy to fact-check your decontextualized history, false narratives
        and gross exaggerations.

I wasn’t.

• Alvaro Nieto

You just proved your eight years old….maybe, on a good day.

• array528

You’re a dewy eyed idiot. Putting that slag Coulter and the brilliant Harris in comparison is just insulting.

Moron.

• Malby

Who has diagnosed Maher as a lunatic? First, Ann Coulter is on for pure entertainment value; she is mirroring the position of Islamists in Iraq (ISIS) at this time in history. Sam Harris is a serious thinker and is quite right. The question is whether Muslims accept or reject the notion that people who disagree with Islam should be put to death; whether people should be killed for drawing cartoons of Mohammed; and so on. I suggest to you that people who advocate killing of cartoonists are the lunatics.

• Anthony Poirier

Sorry? What’s radical about Sam Harris? He’s simply an atheist that has written a number of award-worthy books on atheism. He’s articulate, to the point, and never gets “angry” enough to vent or need an excuse to defend his position. He isn’t anti-muslim vs. the person. He is anti-Islam against the idea… And Islam has given him plenty to work with.
      As for Ann Coulter… Well, she’s just insane… Dangerously insane… Hilariously insane…Insane enough to make any, and every, person who sits beside her look like a Valedictorian. So, either he invites her on for morbid comic relief, or because he’s unsure of the intelligence level of the rest of his panel, and needs to make it look collectively smarter by casting the idiot alongside.

• Anthony Poirier

• Donna Lee Luiz

why are you re-posting this over and over again? is it because you have nothing new to add to your already skewed, untruthful declaration of war against our rights to speech? I cannot speak for Ann Coulter: she is merely a “clown” representative of the far, far Right and does not represent progressives…I have watched that episode on Bill Maher repeatedly, and nowhere, nowhere do I find anyone bashing Muslims, but only statements based on the reality of whether or not all Muslims share the core beliefs of their religion, regardless of who they are…that would include, by the way, Muslims who are educated and living in the U.S.; again, I am puzzled: why don’t you have anything new to say? — are you only capable of this one, long monotous comment since I see nothing else from you but short, fascist rants here and there…and nothing of substance, of truth or LOGIC….time to go back to the coffee shop to come up with something new or original. And by the way, whoever gathered all those signatures, did anyone ask them to first watch the episode, and then make what is called an INFORMED decision before signing in zombie lockstep with everyone else? gosh. . . ya think if folks were smart enough to attend Cal, they would be smart enough to check stuff out? hmmmmm

• kislips

Look in the mirror, there is the bigot. If you believe “infidels” should be beheaded like your Isis heroes, then you are even worse than a bigot

• Jace Paul

Yes, I should believe a devout Muslim when he tells me his faith is perfect reasonable. In the same way I always believe a car salesperson when they tell me “it’s only got a few miles on it.”

• Stephen Geraci

This is stupid.

• ucbgrad

Come on people. The problem is not his satire but the dead-serious remarks he has been saying over and over again on mass media outlet, such as “the vast majority of Muslims condone violence” –which Bill Mahr said recently in an interview with Charlie Rose. He is hell-bent on bashing Islam in complete seriousness, in public news forums. That is not a political criticism (such as criticizing the Israeli government, or Hamas) — it is the bashing of a PEOPLE and completely unacceptable. This is how we want to celebrate getting an education? Anyone who went up and down the news talking about “jews,” “gays,” or “blacks” and what “they think” as a group is equally unwelcome giving a commencement speech at Cal, and on exactly the same grounds.

• OrangeCountyCA2

Proof that UC-Berkeley students are the modern-day Nazis of the 21st Century. They are against free speech. They want to censor speech they personally don’t agree with even if the majority of Americans agree with it. Everything that Bill Maher said about Muslims is the truth. Islam condones violence. Islam sends out edicts calling for the execution of anybody who speaks out against their religion or leaves their religion. It’s no wonder 99% of invited speakers turn down invitations to speak at commence ceremonies at UC-Berkeley because most UC-Bereley students/graduates have views that most mainstream Americans don’t agree with.

• Donna Lee Luiz

Orange County, find my first post on this issue up above….cannot believe how similar our entire views are on what is going on with this Petition and those who perpetrate the censorship…

• doug

While I absolutely loathe the petition discussed in this article, this post is absurd. You realize 1400 is a fairly small percentage of the undergrad student body of ~25,000 right? Do you think the muslim students at other state schools would not petition?

• OrangeCountyCA2

Not all of the 1,400 signers are Muslim, they are all different colors (whites included).

• Dan Spitzer

Yes, idiots come in all colors…

• Malby

The free speech advocates of the 1960s are really ashamed at what has
      taken over their campus. This goes against everything that the Free
      Speech Movement of the 1960s called for. Most UC-Berkeley students have
      closed minds. They get seizures and convulse when they hear things
      they don’t agree with.

This is what struck me: Mario Savio rolling over in his grave.

• Dan Spitzer

Indeed, if you real Robert Cohen’s autobiography of Savio, Freedom’s Orator, you will find that Mario was a supporter of Israel and was distraught with the left’s criticism of the Jewish homeland…

• Dan Spitzer

That’s right, Mr. Isaac–this IS America. It’s not the Palestinian territories where you can be jailed, tortured and/or killed for criticizing the ruling elite or your religious teachings. Ditto virtually every one of the numerous thugocracies which suppress freedom of expression in the Muslim world…

Jailed, tortured, killed? No, I was talking about Bill Maher, not the Fruitvale Bart Station. Don’t butcher my point with your Islamophobia. He has a right to speak. So do you, but you clearly are off track here.

• Dan Spitzer

Off track? I don’t think so Mr. Paranoid Isaac. Read about the Palestinian journalists who have been jailed because they were critical of Fatah’s corruption or policies. And educate yourself, if you would be so bold, to learn of those murdered by the Ham-Asswipes because they dared criticize the infantile tantrum missile launching that proved so counterproductive, nay disastrous, for the unfortunate citizenry of Gaza used by their jihadi rulers as human shields.
        Islamophobia? I don’t think so. As John Steinbeck wrote, “The truth only hurts when it ought to.”
        I’m pleased, Mr. Isaac, that you believe Bill Maher has a right to speak at UC Berkeley. Indeed he should and does, so long as SJP and MSA don’t bully their way into suppressing his freedom of expression. ‘Course, if he tried to be rightfully critical of Islam while visiting any of its many tyrannical regimes, he would soon breathe his last. And if you are a reasonably aware person, then you know this to be factual and not simply a product of paranoid contentions of “Islamophobia.”

Sorry ol’ chap, but when you start Islam bashing you stray from the topic of free speech and into the land of bigotry. Quoting Steinbeck doesn’t make you a mind-reader, so spare me the nicknames please. The MSA has not been the only group to oppose speakers. Jewish groups opposed Alice Walker and left wing groups opposed Condi Rice recently. If you have an issue with Muslims, find another forum. We are talking about free speech on this one, though there seem to be plenty of folks like you on this thread, sadly.

• Dan Spitzer

At UCB, Jewish groups have never asked for Alice Walker to be banned, even though even her own daughter calls her an unabashed anti-Semite and she now follows a British cult leader who believes in reptilian super powers. And while left wingers oppose Rice at UCB, I can’t remember them asking that she be banned, although given their predilection, it won’t surprise me.
            Mr. Isaac, I don’t know if you were or are a student at UCB, but clearly you never learned to do research. As for bigotry, that is exactly what Bill Maher opposes as it is rife amongst Islamists…

• Vail Beach

Sad to hear that this disease has struck the home of the Free Speech Movement. I embraced the left because it stood for absolute free expression, a maximal approach to the First Amendment. How unbelievably sad that the left has so fallen in love with power that it has allowed this basic principle to be corrupted. Shameful, disgusting and not smart.

• Dan Spitzer

And Mr. Beach, hardly the first time. I, too, had participated on the left but I am now appalled at its support of brutal political orders in the Islamic world, including Fatah, Hamas, Islamic Jihad, or any of the other Palestinian political tyrannies which squelch free speech and teach hate. Beginning in our equivalent of the second grade, Palestinian children are forcefed lies about Israel in particular and Jews in general. They are taught this in texts chosen by their political and religious leaders in the hopes that they will grow up to become saheedi martyrs who murder the infidel Jews.
      Nevertheless, it is today’s left which supports such suppression and blatant bigotry. As for the womens’ movement, well you don’t hear much criticism of the Muslim religion which presently is the world’s most influential religion when it comes to relegating women to second class citizenry based upon so many Islamic “spiritual” leaders interpretation of the Koran…

• Dr Sook

As past ’60s protester, and current faculty, it is appalling to have the true principles of free speech so woefully misunderstood. Bill Maher may be offensive to some, wrong to others- but he is hardly a war criminal. He is a provocative comedian- sometimes tasteless, ill-informed, a wiseass, even unfunny- but also courageous, well-intentioned and stirring political discourse.
    I would defend Glen Beck or Rush Limbaugh as commencement speakers except they are too dumb & dreary to be of interest and would never be worth inviting.

• http://calebpowell.wordpress.com Caleb Powell

Protesting Bill Maher? They should read this, written by a Pakistani woman about her gay uncle. She received death threats as a result: Pakistan Today: An Open Letter to Ben Affleck

• Dayna Hamilton

The atheists that love nothing more than to bash and criticize Christians all day long should be aware of what is filling the vacuum they helped provide. Islam is coming. Unlike the Christians, they do not turn the other cheek, they are the opposite of tolerant and peaceful and there is no such thing as a moderate muslim.

• Arafat

Muslims do not have to abandon their identities. They have to abandon the hatred planted
    in their brains by the institutional hatred inherent in the Koran , Haidith and the Sunnah.

It is so chic to play the Muslim card to avoid criticism of Islam.

Sorry – It is a fact – Islam teaches hatred.

What the heck do you think drives the killing machine called ISIS?

The minute we are free to talk about Islam is the minute Islam will start to fall apart.
    It is a fragile ideology that cannot stand up to introspection. Why would
    anyone believe that a 54 year old child pedophile was a prophet?

If Muslims are so sure about their “religion” why do they try to stop discussion about its obvious flaws?

• Arafat

The west’s reaction to Islam has to be a prime example of Thomas Mann’s “Tolerance of evil becomes a crime”.
    Thank God Bill Maher is not guilty of this crime.

• Arafat

There is nothing wrong in criticizing Islam. It is not “hate speech.” Religion is a philosophy and set of
    beliefs that are just as open to scrutiny as any text by Plato or Kant.

Religion should be discussed, reformed when needed, and certainly criticized if people wish to do so.

• Oreberry

Arafat…I completely misunderstood you earlier. I sincerely apologize.

• Arafat

Oreberry,
        No need to apologize. I’m glad we’re fighting the same fight. That’s all that really matters.

• Arafat

We ex-Muslims living with Islam’s formal and informal death penalty for
    apostasy know that Mohammedanism is a cruel and deadly fraud.

The 164 jihad verses in the Qur’an make jihad warefare a central tenet of
    the Islamic creed. At least 75% of the Sira (biographies of Muhammad and quotes
    attributed to him) is about jihad.

The largest part of the Islamic texts (the Qur’an, hadith and sira) relate
    to the treatment of unbelievers, kafirs. Approximately 67% of the Qur’an
    written in Mecca is about the unbelievers, or politics. Of the Qur’an of Medina,
    51% is devoted to the unbelievers.

• Arafat

As Nikolai Sennels said, a Muslim never sees himself as the
    reserved for the infidels.

• Arafat

Islam is indeed a crime against humanity, and its first victims are Muslims.
    I think that is why Muslims are so quick and ready to assume victimhood. On a
    subconscious level, they feel victimized, but in their search for the cause of
    their discomfort they incorrectly identify colonialism, crusades, Jews, racism,
    and so forth as the cause.

For a Muslim to face up to the reality of Islam and to admit to oneself that
    Islam is the problem means to lose one’s identity. Hence the cognitive
    dissonance Muslims experience when Islam is called into question. Hence the
    scrambling for excuses and explanations that can convince the Muslims
    themselves that Islam is not the problem. And the explanations tend to be
    colonialism, crusades, Jews, racism, and so forth.

When cultural Muslims refer to spurious arguments by Islamic apologists as a
    counterargument to brush aside direct quotes from the Qur’an and the hadiths,
    it is not that they are deliberately trying to to deceive the non-Muslims. They
    are desperately clinging to the hope that Islam is not the problem. When they
    repeat the talking points of Islamic apologists explaining how Islam is a
    religion of peace, their primary aim is to convince (delude) themselves and
    make the cognitive dissonance go away at least momentarily, which then removes
    the immediate threat to their identity and postpones the inevitable
    confrontation.

Unlike most of the Muslim world, Turkey is a country where, thanks to
    militantly secularist strains, there are more Muslims who are not completely
    enslaved by their Muslim identity. That gives slightly more breathing space for
    the individual to break the chains of Islam. Nonetheless, it still means you have
    to turn your back on large parts of your cultural heritage and family. Families
    in any culture have members who seek to enforce tradition. In Muslim cultures
    the conservative members of the family are enforcers of Muslim identity, which
    brings along with it the whole can of worms that is the Qur’an and the hadiths.

• Guest

Jackholes get First Amendment protection, too

• http://islamsfatalflaw.blogspot.com/ BobSmith101

Islam is the problem. Then ignorant students strive to prove how stupid they are.

A “religion” you can’t quit without worrying about being murdered by a co-religionist is a cult.

• Mukhter Ali Said

Since when have white racists needed religion to murder? Iraq 2003 was not a religious endeavor and it resulted in at least 500,000 dead Iraqis. The writing’s on the wall people. Ferguson. Palestine. You refuse to acknowledge it.

• Dan Spitzer

But Mr. Said, we do acknowledge Palestine. That’s where a majority of the people who call for genocide vs Jews live (check out the Covenant of Hamas, the most popular political party amongst the Palestinians).
      So, yes, we do acknowledge a population which wishes to murder all of the planet’s Jews, makes their women second class citizens, brutalizes homosexuals, and viciously throttles those few who dare to dissent…

• Dr Sook

Banning a comedian is a fool’s protest. It surely has no impact on global justice.

• M2000

Oh lookie here, a “moderate” Muslim okay with a Sunni tyrant like Saddam Hussein where his two sons raped women on their wedding day.

• Arafat

A “moderate” Muslim?
        Moderate being defined as those Muslims (like Mukhter) who set the stage for the extremists who will then be free to maim, rape and kill.
        Mukther is nothing more than an enabler.

• Mukhter Ali Said

Ok go bomb Africa then. Your morality shouldn’t be limited to the ME

• Arafat

Bomb Africa? What’s left after you and your Muslim brothers have destroyed all of Northern Africa?
          From the genocide in Sudan to the genocide of the Berbers in Tunisia and elsewhere you Muslims have done more than enough.

• M2000

Bwahahaha, you apparently have no issues with Muslim leaders committing atrocities whether it be Saddam or anyone else.

• MattC626

Bill Maher is the one speaking out against hate and more than that, hateful violence. No ideology should be beyond criticism, and that includes religious ideologies like Islam. Today, Islamism claims more victims worldwide every year than any other ideology on the planet, and these students are trying to censor free speech to protect the ideological beliefs behind that violence from any criticism.

• shane_menken

So Berkeley students, should we assume you are misogynists? I mean, you
    are defending a dogma that treats women as inferiors. Why? Do Berkeley
    students believe a woman is worth half of what a man is?

• Alex

Didn’t Louis Farrakhan come to speak on campus at the invitation of these same student organizations?

• Dan Spitzer

He did indeed, Alex. And those fine, tolerant members of SJP, MSA and of course the Black Muslim community expressed how happy they were to have this “honorable” bigot speak on campus…

• ucbgrad

I have no problem with Bil Maher coming to speak on campus. I have no problem with Louis Farrakhan coming to speak on campus. I would have a big problem with Louis Farrakhan being the commencement speaker at UC Berkeley (although it’s a little hard to imagine such an invitation, don’t you think?) Similarly I have a big problem with Bil Maher being invited as the commencement speaker in a year where he has been bashing Islam over all air waves. So you see this is not an issue of free speech.

• Dan Spitzer

What a bloody hypocrite, ubcgrad. You have no problem with Louis Farrakhan being a commencement speaker at UBC, even though he is the country’s most infamous anti-Semite and he and his followers seem proud of it their hatred of Jews.
        Maher on the other hand is critical of unseemly widespread Muslim behavior toward females, gays and those who differ with them. If you call that “bashing,” then you are both misogynistic and homophobic…

• EmmaDaoust

Actually Dan Spitzer, ucbgrad said “I would have a big problem with Louis Farrakhan being the COMMENCEMENT speaker at UC Berkeley (although….)”

Just to clarify my position, Ben Affleck and many others completely missed Maher’s point.

• ucbgrad

@EmmaDaoust:disqus what did you take to be Maher’s point?

• Olterigo

It is an issue of free speech. UC Berkeley is not a private institution. It is a public university, supported by the mandatory taxes of Californian citizenry and residents in general. As such it is considered to be a governmental institution and has to be approached from that point of view and, thus, is subject to the First Amendment of the US Constitution. Insofar as his speaking has already been confirmed by all the responsible for making arrangements, the university will have to allow him to speak or face the appropriate penalties and be forced by courts to allow him to speak.

• J. C.

Sorry, you are wrong the first amendment free speech provision only applies to an government entity and not to an entity that receives government subsidies… this has been established long time ago when a similar issue came up but that time with a …gasp…Christian outfit and it went all the way to federal court. UCB is still a private corporation although subsidized and thus can give a crap about free speech.They can restrict it just as much as any other corporation or private person. Just as I can throw people out of my home if I don’t like what they say so can UCB. There will be NO court in this country forcing Berkeley to let him speak. You are delusional if you believe so.

• Tovena Dan

Wrong J.C. The UC system is a public entity, not private, period. Accordingly, no school in the system can restrict speech. The case you are citing regarded funds funneled to a student organization, not the invitation of speaker for the sole purpose of speech. It’s simply apples to oranges. Maher has every right to speak, and yes, the courts would require such if forced.

• ucbgrad

@Tovena Dan can you clarify my above question

• ucbgrad

@J.C and @Olterigo I just want to understand one thing you are both saying (even though you disagree)– are you saying that it if in fact this were a free speech issue, it legally speaking would have become a free speech issue only ONCE the invitation had already been extended to Maher? Please clarify, thanks!

• Malby

No, I do not see. This is clearly an issue of free speech. He’s not been bashing Islam on the airwaves; he’s been pointing out facts that call into question whether Muslims throughout the world disagree with the acts and words of extremists.

• canto28

“Bill Maher is a blatant bigot and racist who has no respect for the values UC Berkeley students and administration stand for,”

This is crazy. What Berkeley values are not respected? Like murdering people who criticize Islam or picture draw the “prophet”? That’s exactly what Maher was objecting to, but his objection is
    inconsistent with Berkeley standards?

“Navid, a student government representative, said statements linking Islam with violence put
    students like her on the defensive.”

Listen Navid, the important statements linking Islam with violence are the many in your beloved
    Koran, not Maher. It commands Muslims to violently subjugate or kill unbelievers (Qur’an 9:29, 9:73, 9:123, etc). And as for enemies:

Quran-5:33,
    “The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger, and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution, or crucifixion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides…”

Seems like ISIS has been reading your Koran, Navid.

• Traci Rowland

“Like murdering people who criticize Islam or picture draw the “prophet”?”

Right, because all who practice Islam do that. /SMFH. Are all blondes bimbos in your world?

We can trade verses like the one you quoted if you want. But will it produce good fruit? No, but here’s mine in rebuttal.

Psalms 137: 8-9

“O daughter of Babylon, you devastated one, How blessed will be the one
      who repays you With the recompense with which you have repaid us. How blessed will be the one who seizes and dashes your little ones against the rock..”

• canto28

How is it that people like you think that Maher’s or anyone’s valid points about the outrageous behavior that Islamic zeal inspires are vitiated or neutralized by the existence of awful verses in the OT? Are all morons in your world?

• PostAmerican

People have rights, ideas (Islam/Christianity/Atheism) do not have rights.

• Larry A Singleton

“It’s not an issue of freedom of speech, it’s a matter of campus climate,” Navid said.

He’s a liar. He and his pals want to shut down ALL criticism of Islam-PERIOD!

Actually, with seditious traitors like the Muslim Student Association and Students for Justice in Palestine and the rest of these vile Jew haters that have infested our college campuses it’s NO Speech when it comes to exposing radical Islam.

This is the Islamic version of he Hitler Youth, spawned by the Muslim Brotherhood and affiliated with CAIR. These scum should be indicted. Not dictating who does or does not speak on our campuses. This is a familiar tactic with these terrorist sympathizers. All you have to do is read to find this out for yourself. Unfortunately, most of the useful idiots in this country choose not to inform themselves. Hence the decline of education today and the Islamic thugs disguised as student groups infiltrating and subverting our universities.

It’s unfortunate we no longer recognize sedition and treason today. Instead it’s actually fashionable. And Berkeley is Ground Zero when it comes to this treasonous fashion statement.

Muslim Mafia: Inside the Secret Underworld, (CAIR and the Muslim Brotherhood), That’s Conspiring to Islamize America by Gaubatz and Sperry

Getting to Know the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR)

http://www.danielpipes.org/biblio_cair.php (Assorted articles)

CAIR: Islamists Fooling the Establishment by Daniel Pipes and Sharon Chadha (MEQ article)

meforum-org/916/cair-islamists-fooling-the-establishment#_ftnref60

Indoctrination U: The Left’s War Against Academic Freedom and The Professors: The 101 Most Dangerous Academics in America by David Horowitz

“Indoctrinate U.” Documentary Watch This Documentary!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHyvRHrYYBA

Ivory Towers On Sand: The Failure of Middle Eastern Studies in America by Martin Kramer

The War Against Boys: How Misguided Feminism Is Harming Our Young Men by Christina Hoff Sommers

Invasion: How America Still Welcomes Terrorists, Criminals and Other Foreign Menaces to Our Shores by Michelle (the hottest woman on the planet) Malkin

Infiltration: How Muslim Spies and Subversives have Penetrated Washington by Paul Sperry

American Jihad: The Terrorists Living Among Us by Steven Emerson

The Grand Jihad: How Islam and the Left Sabotage America by Andre C. McCarthy

Stop the Islamization of America: A Practical Guide to the Resistance by Pamela Geller

Subscribe to Jihad/Campus Watch and the Middle East Forum/Quarterly, Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI), Gatestone Institute, FrontPage Magazine, American Thinker, The Clarion Project, Cross Muslims, Palestinian Media Watch: Muhammad unveiled, Religion of Peace (dot com) and read Raymond Ibrahim, Efraim Karsh, Patrick Poole, Caroline Glick, Bat Ye’or and others.

• Larry A Singleton

I wonder if Marium Navid could pass an 1912 8th Grade Examination.

• Verballistic

Censorship of ALL criticism of Islam is just as much a pillar of Islam as praying 5 times a day. So is the Islamic principle of “taqiyya” which is the Islamic principle of lying to advance the cause of Islam. So it is no surprise that Islamist groups like MEMSA would attack Maher and seek to ban him from speaking.

• Verballistic

CENSORSHIP is one of the de facto pillars of Islam, just as much as praying 5 times daily and treating women like animals. So it is no surprise that these Islamic censors are calling Maher a “racist” without realizing the idiocy of portraying Islam as a “race.”

• Khairuldeen Khalid

Marium Navid, Well done.
    And fight in the name of Allah the ones who fight you, but don’t transgress; surely Allah dose not love transgressors.

Marium Carry on and remember what Imam Ali (A.S)once said” Truth has left me no friends” so if you say the truth and you still have friends this will be your greatest victory.

As an Iraqi citizen studying as UC-Berkeley, I’m proud to say that I support you and I envy your bravery.

Remember that many people will disagree with what you are doing not because they hate Muslims or because they are against Islam but they do lack the knowledge and the experience.

Have they lived in Iraq? or Syria? or have they ever been in Palestine?

You will surely see people know Justine Bieber more than they know what is ISIL but remember this

that we as people share one thing in common and it’s our dignity and if someone try to take that away from us we will fight, we will fight with our knowledge, and education.

May allah bless you and protect you from any harm.

#freespeech.

#nothatespeech.

If anyone want to reply about the Palestine protesting thing, we can do that and we will start from the 2nd of November 1917.

• Verballistic

Lacking knowledge of Islam? LOL…the Quran is a war manual compiled by your violent warlord prophet Muhammad. Muhammad slaughtered thousands, beheaded hundreds and converted “infidels” by the sword.The most devout Muslims are the ones who follow Muhammad’s barbaric, misogynistic example and the Jihadist cutthroats can quote the Quran far better than half-stepping Muslims like you. Be honest enough to admit you are just an ISIS supporter and be done with your charade of “Taqiyya”, which is the well-documented Islamic principle of LYING to advance the cause of your barbaric, misogynistic 7th-century religion.

• Sherman Boyson

Speaking of knowledge, Justin Bieber is a guy, not a female. Justin not Justine.
      Just saying……

• Khairuldeen Khalid

Thanks for the clarification, he is male not a female. It has nothing to do with knowledge but thank you anyway.

I have learned English in 2009, and I will continue to work on it.

• Dr Sook

You are missing the point. UCB is a bastion of freedoms; students died fighting for a university where Free Speech could prevail, diversity survive and serious debate occur. Banning Maher is a travesty, an act of gross misunderstadning of robust discourse. If Maher offers a faulty argument- critique it with eloquence & clarity.

• Khairuldeen Khalid

Freedom is not insulting my religion. I suggest we read the Constitution of the United States of America one more time to understand what freedom means.
        don’t disrespect my religion and call it freedom.

• Dr Sook

There is much that ‘insults’ us in political discourse. There is no Constitutional privilege against offensive opinions. If a speaker denounced ‘ruthless’ circumcision, the passivity of Buddhism, the evils of food stamps, the perversion of same-sex marriage or the subjugating protections’ of women in Islam- so be it. Make the counter argument.

• M2000

Are you freaking kidding me? Some of the comments by some of your own people say Christians, Jews and Atheists are some of the worse people. By your standards, maybe you should set an example and shut up.

Here’s a fine example of that:

“Christians , Jews and Atheists are worst people are world.”

Go search the comments yourself. By your own standards, you should just walk away from this little episode here and be done with it instead of dragging it on.

• Vail Beach

This country is about free speech period. No qualifiers. Why? Because “hate speech” is in the eye of the beholder. Free speech must be absolute because otherwise, anybody in power could declare certain thoughts to be hate speech merely because they are inconvenienced by them.

• Sherman Boyson

How many of the people on the petition are Fall 14 grads? They should be the only input that matters.

• Barry Lyons
  • St. Hahn

Who will speak up for the millions of Muslims who suffer under the Sharia? Islam’s got problems. How does MEMSA propose to end GFM, forced marriages, honors killings, Sharia injustice and jihad?

• Dayna Hamilton

That’s just it, they don’t want to stop any of the things you mentioned, they really want to spread it all over the globe. There is no such thing as a moderate muslim.

• Danusha Diane Goska

I am a devout Catholic. I am a woman. Bill Maher regularly says things that are offensive to women and to Catholics. I have an MA from UC Berkeley. I would welcome Bill Maher as a speaker at my commencement.

I would welcome Maher because he is uniquely gifted, intelligent, articulate, and prominent. He brings important ideas into the public square in a way that provokes further inquiry.

I AM NOT AFRAID OF BILL MAHER’S MIND NOR HIS WORDS. Apparently Muslims ARE afraid of Bill Maher’s mind and his words, and so they attempt to shut him down.

Their censorship says much negative about their belief system, and nothing negative about Bill Maher.

• Larry A Singleton

“censorship” is good and appropriate word.

• Sajwert

IMO, it seems that the Muslims of Berkeley UC are afraid of Maher because they know that much of what he has said has a large grain of truth in it. And a religion that cannot withstand having a grain of truth exposed is a religion that is built upon fear more than upon what it claims to be – a religion of “freedom”.

• Arafat

True enough.
        Muslims cannot abide to have their religion withstand the light of day for doing so would reveal all its blemishes.
        Islam: Where freedom ends.

• Tovena Dan

You are making ASSumptions Danusha Diane Goska.

• Liza Jones

These people are celebrating the end of a program of studies that tells the world they are “educated” and that they have the papers to prove it. What a joke? If free speech is only acceptable if the speech is to your liking, one has to wonder how much value their so-called education really has. I posted an open letter on Google Plus to Ben Affleck from a Pakistani women telling Ben Affleck that he was wrong in shutting down the conversation started by Bill Maher. This letter should be mandatory reading for this lobby group. Like him or not, Bill Maher is saying what must be said. I can think of no individual more worthy, in this present situation with Islamic fanataticisn a real threat to our world, to speak to a class of young people who must take up this conversation and cope with the effects of this scourge of Islamism and Jihadism.

• mcjenny

If you think about it, what are the chances he’d be talking about islam at graduation anyway?

• Sajwert

You are the first to point that out from what I can see. I agree. He would probably have talked about how they are facing a dangerous world and he hopes they find a decent job.

• Olterigo

Well, now they have probably skyrocketed. LOL. Thank you, MEMSA and whoever else is signing the petition.

• mcjenny

Don;t like the First Amendment?

• Robert Betts

Beautifully said.

• Beagle

I disapprove of what you say, but I’ll defend to the death my right to make you shut up, racist.

— Stuff Voltaire Never Said, Vol XIII

• Dan Spitzer

Of course, the problem with jihadis and their supporters: if you disapprove of their beliefs it might indeed result in your death, prefaced by jailing and torture…

• Arafat

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”-
      Voltaire
      ====
      In cowardly Europe the Muslims have cowed the Europeans into being their sheep.
      Reading the comments attached to tis article is thrilling seeing that our First Amendment might serve to cow the Muslims into embarrassed silence. Embarrassed of their sickening religion.

• Dan Spitzer

So the SJP/MSA coalition wants to keep Maher from speaking? No surprise. They only support free speech when it comes to a pro-Palestinian/Muslim perspective and wish to squelch free speech when it comes to someone critical of their support of Islamists. I’ll repeat what I wrote after the DC editorial:

Bill Maher is a fine choice. Although I am a moderate Dem and sometimes disagree with Maher’s political analysis, I find him well informed and quite courageous, a good role model for graduating students who wish to speak the truth, even at the expense of currently exalted political correctness. Exemplary of this was Maher’s interview with the Queen of Jordan. Maher had the audacity to ask her if she and her country supported an independent Palestinian state. When the Queen responded, “Of course we do,” Maher then asked her the question, “Then when your country ruled the Palestinian West Bank from 1948 until 1967, why didn’t you give the Palestinians their independence?” Stunned to be asked such a vital question, the Queen stammered and stuttered, unable to give a proper answer.
    Maher went on to say to the Queen, “You are a modern, Princeton educated woman. Don’t you think being a ‘royal’ in this day and age is a bit of an anachronism?” Started by such a pertinent question, the Queen again could offer no reasonable rejoinder.
    Maher, who calls out the hypocrisy in all religions, be they Jewish, Christian or Muslim, has raised the questions of the manifest misogyny, sexism and suppression of dissent which is so manifest today in Islamic societies. Because this truth hurts, we have the usual protests of Maher by SJP, MSA, and student regent Sadia Saifuddin, whose own Pakistani heritage is exemplary of that which Maher rightfully critiques. Hopefully, this Islamist protest of Maher because he dares to articulate the truth will not impact this wise choice of such an progressive voice for commencement speaker…

• Dan Spitzer

When I first saw the DC piece, I misread it to first believe the petition was authored by MENSA. Au contraire. It’s the polar opposite of MENSA, MEMSA…

• Andrea Jones Torres

I did the same. :O

• Larry A Singleton

Absolutely spot on. I am no fan of Bill Maher-At All. But lately…..
      I didn’t know about this interview. Excellent comment.

• KiteFlyer89

Pathetic on the part of the students.

• Stentor7

As a UC Berkeley alumnus, I believe Marium Navid is over-reaching when he calls Bill Maher a racist and a bigot. If Navid truly believes that then he should lay out his case against Maher with some evidence, & not just a spouted opinion. Criticism of religion is not bigotry, criticism of religion is not racism. Islam is not a race, Jews are not a race, Christians are not a race, Buddhists are not a race, Hindus are not a race. Religion is a choice, and as deserving of criticism as any other choice. Islam needs to expunge the violent rhetoric from its religion, but Christianity has just as much in the bible as the koran, it’s just relegated to the same place where they approved of slavery, wearing clothes from two different fibers, or stoning adulterers, in the dustbin of outmoded beliefs.

• Piper312

I think its more bigoted to murder people for not ascribing to your made up magical belief system, than to call people out for their barbaric culture. Thanks Maher for keeping it real.

• Guest
        • KiteFlyer89

Any criticism of religion fits that criteria?

• J. C.

criticism of Religion is the duty of all sane people. Since religion is nothing but delusion, insanity and superstition it is ones civic duty to speak out against it.

• Tovena Dan

Amen J.C. Religion is a cultural phenomenon. It was made by man, interpreted by man and used to control man. Based on pre-historic fairy tales, superstition and fear, religion s hegemonic, hierarchal and patriarchal. It is irrational and the antithesis of skeptical. Our society will never progress until the last brick from the last church falls on the head of the last preacher and quells this nonsense permanently. What a shame UC Berkeley graduates will be denied the opportunity to hear an enlightened individual due to a bunch of religious “faith” based irrational thugs.

• webone

That definition indicates that Marium Navid is the bigot. Strong, unreasoned belief of islam that no one is even allowed to question, much less criticize. Coupled with the incorrect and also unreasoned belief that as she is muslim, she is better than any non-muslim.

• Jerry S

You’re right. Jews are not a race and Christians are not a race. But according to today’s P.C. Multi-culti thought police, criticism of Islam is a big no-no.

• Joseph Miceli

I’m a a gay atheist socialist and believe me when I say that Bill is just fine with me and his criticism of Islam is dead on.

• Tovena Dan

Ditto Joseph.

• http://informlocal.com/ Michael Kern

Where is the “like” button on this forum

• Steve Gregg

Marium Navid is the bigot here by attempting to suppress criticism of his religion.

• ArveKlarness

Agree. Very good point!

• kislips

I think he is a she and she indeed is the bigot here. Of course it is not politically correct to identify murders as such. They get away with their violence against women and non believers in Islam. Maher speaks the truth, not the politically correct accepted truth, but the truth. What a disgrace. Berkeley the bastion of free speech is allowing bigots to silence truth

• Nurul Aman

Like Ben Affleck, Marium Navid does not understand the difference between the concept racism and religious bigotry practiced under Islam. What shame on both Marium Navid and Ben Affleck! They need to get their concepts of vocabulary straight.

• Ron Paine

Not the students it’s Navid using them as a sheild!!!

• KiteFlyer89

You know what, you’re right. I should’ve said “these students”.

• M2000

So they can invite Palestinian supporters whom don’t like Israel that get away with saying mean things…but they’re suddenly outraged over Bill Maher’s visit?

• Dan Spitzer

And remember, the very people sponsoring the petition-including SJP and MSA-heartily supported the talk by one of America’s most notorious bigots, Black Muslim leader Louis Farrakhan, on campus. So don’t let these hypocrites tell you that they oppose “hate mongers.”

• Teeta Malangi

Which Palestinian supporter has given commencement speech at UC Berkeley before?

Moreover, criticizing Israel is legitimate. Saying hateful things against Jews is something different.

Similarly, criticizing Iran/Saudi Arabia etc. is alright, but saying bigoted things against Muslims as a whole is unacceptable.

Bill Mahr does the latter.

• Dan Spitzer

“Saying hateful things against Jews is something different.” Ah, er Teeta: then why did SJP, MSA support the invitation to speak on campus by the Black Student Union and the Black Muslims to America’s most noteworthy anti-Semite, Louis Farrakhan? And at places such as UC Irvine and other UC schools, African American anti-Semites have been invited by campus Muslim groups to speak. You didn’t hear a single, solitary Muslim speak out against these bigots did you? Please stop your rationalizing. Muslims have engaged in inviting anti-Semitic scumbags for years.

Perhaps most telling, we have heard nary a word from SJP, MSA, and members of the Middle East Studies Department such as Hate’em Bazian criticize the most popular political part of the Palestinian people (according to their own poll), Hamas. After all, Hamas openly calls not just for the annihilation of Israeli Jews but Jews everywhere. Why haven’t we heard the Muslims give anything but veiled praise to an organization which advocates Jewish genocide? This is implicit bigotry of the worst order…

• scottmonter

Cal’s reputation for Antisemitism is legendary. Beyond pathetic for a major American university to produce 10 thousand hits for “antisemitism” and “Berkeley”

• Malby

Which is kind of ironic. It’s a whole new ball game. One that apparently ignores history and fundamental principles of free speech.

• Tovena Dan

proof scottmonter?

• scottmonter

Assuming you wouldn’t buy some of my family’s personal stories (I wouldn’t buy an internet stranger’s story) just try it for yourself and see. “berkeley + Antisemitism”

• Jillo2

Dan, from what I’m reading, Teeta is asking what Palestinian supporter has given a commencement speech. Maher is being asked to give a commencement speech, not merely speak on campus. This is reiterating what the MEMSA spokesman has stated, “a different set of expectations must be held for a commencement speaker.” Maher has made a sweeping and untrue generalization: that the majority of Muslims believe in killing the infidels and violence, which is not close to true, in spite of what the Koran may say. He’s never made a generalization of that nature against Christians or Jews based on what their bible does or doesn’t say. That’s not to say there aren’t hypocrites and bigots who support Farrakhan or Hamas, which there certainly are…however, this is a separate issue. And BTW, there are many who are more “progressive” than Bill Maher. A true progressive would call out the “Jewish State” for the same things we call out the United States for or called out South Africa for…without fear of being called an anti Semite or self-hating Jew. I, like you, consider myself a moderate democrat and find myself in disagreement with Bill Maher on various issues, although I normally agree with him wholeheartedly on religion. However, it doesn’t take a diehard liberal to see that Maher’s logic is flawed when it comes to singling out Muslims as a whole…not to mention implicit bigotry.

• Dan Spitzer

Jillo, what ethical person would ask a Palestinian supporter to give a commencement speech? Remember, by the Palestinians’ own polls, Hamas is the most popular political party of the Palestinian people. And Hamas openly calls not “just” for the annihilation of Israeli Jews but Jews everywhere. So by any measure of logic, to be a Palestinian supporter is to be an advocate for Jewish genocide, something we haven’t seen since the Third Reich. Would it have been reasonable to invite any supporter of Hitler’s fascism to speak at a commencement of that era? Well, the Palestinian people advocate exactly what Hitler did so it would be less than honorable/rational/ethical to invite a Palestinian supporter to give the commencement address.
            Alas, Jillo, you must not have watched much, if any, of Bill Maher’s show as he has NEVER maintained that “a majority of Muslims believe in killing the infidels and violence.”
            And then you go on to express the usual falsehoods of SJP, MSA, and the ever dishonest ilk of JVP when you try to equate Israel with South Africa. I’ve been in the S. Africa of its apartheid period and there is NOTHING remotely akin to the nation of Israel that was manifest in the S. Africa of that era. Those who maintain that there is are either ignorant or anti-Semitic–actually probably both.
            Maher does single out Islam for being the most misogynist, homophobic and repressive of religions seen today and by any reasonable yardstick, this is emphatically true. Second class citizenry for women, honor murder, stoning of women who have suffered rape or are simply accused of committing adultery, widespread FGM, marriage of pre-teen or young teen girls, the brutalization of gays, being jailed or executed for blasphemy, the severance of the left hand of thieves, yes-all of these barbarities are common practice in numerous Islamic societies and these are the violations of human rights which Maher so justifiably criticizes…

• Tovena Dan

Dan, I would be most interested to hear a Palestinian supporter give a speech. As for genocide, Israel is doing a pretty good job of that in Gaza. Moreover, it is doing so with billions of U.S. tax dollars. While Israel hurdles bombs, Palestinians throw comparative stones. Whose the real Hitler here? To me it’s Israel and its misguided myopic supports like you. Shameful, but spoken like a typical Jew.

• Jillo2

Spoken like a “typical Jew” should be changed to spoken like a “typical American.” Your statement is spoken like a typical anti Semite. I’m Jewish and see the hypocrisy of blindly defending Israel and their raiding of nations and genocide. Many Jews aren’t Zionists.

• Dan Spitzer

Jillo, you say Israel’s “raiding of nations and genocide”? Wow, are you ignorant. If you are a student at Cal, the university must have really lowered its standards. Either that or you are a student in the Middle/Near East Studies Department where the teaching of anti-Semitic fabrications are the norm. Just listen to the likes of Hate’em Bazian…

• Steve Gregg

If Israel is committing genocide in Gaza, then why does the majority of Gazans survive? You lefties are very casual about flinging the word “genocide.” Your hyperbole leads reasonable people to dismiss your opinion.

• Jillo2

Again, Teeta’s point was that a Palestinian defender wouldn’t be asked to give a commencement speech, which BTW doesn’t necessarily mean a Hamas supporter. I’m Jewish and believe Israel should defend itself, yet I don’t advocate mass genocide, invading nations, oppressive policies that discriminate against groups of people and the superiority or preferential treatment of one religion or group of people over another…so yes, I’m a Palestinian supporter, but not a Hamas supporter. By your enlightened logic that makes me an anti Semite or ignorant or both, so be it. Maher is painting a broad picture of all Muslims in accordance with the Koran, which says to kill the infidels. The overwhelming majority of Muslims don’t believe in violence toward non-believers. They just identify with yet another sexist, racist, oppressive religion that they were either born into or were brainwashed into believing in.

• Tovena Dan

MEMSA stated, “a different set of expectations must be held for a commencement speaker,” but fails to specify what that entails.

• Jillo2

Bill Maher was offensive to basically all Muslims. I’m guessing that’s an expectation, not to single out one particular religion and all its followers.

• Jillo2

Maher basically offended all Muslims. A different set of expectations would logically rule out someone who singles out a specific religion and condemns ALL its followers.

• M2000
      • M2000

How about the routine calls for divestment against Israel by the same people whom oppose Bill Maher to visit because he’s “hateful”?

http://www.dailycal.org/2013/04/18/asuc-senate-passes-divestment-bill-11-9/

And these are the same people whom ignored Hamas firing rockets from civilian areas into Israeli territory apparently that’s okay.

• Tovena Dan

Or the same people who ignored Israel firing rockets into civilian areas in Gaza. It goes both ways, but Israel is funded billions by the U.S. government to kill innocent people.

• M2000

I can understand why Bill Maher isn’t welcome after all some lobbies are more equal than others:

http://berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/98legacy/11-23-1998c.html

• Vail Beach

You apparently need to look up the word “caliphate.”

• Arafat

Muslim values: Worshipping baby killers…

“The mother of Abdelrahman Shaludi, the Hamas terrorist who last Wednesday murdered three-month-old Chaya Zisel Braun hy”d and 22-year-old Karen Mosquera hy”d with his car in Jerusalem, is a “martyr” according to his mother.”

• vet2be1973

Well, in that regards, the god of the Jews and Christians was a blood-thirsty murderer in the old testament as well. To me it shows that the old testament is a loose history at best filled with fabrications and exaggerations, much like the koran.

• trickyblain

“Similarly, criticizing Iran/Saudi Arabia etc. is alright, but saying bigoted things against Muslims as a whole is unacceptable.”

What has he said about “Muslims as a whole”? He is saying there are serious issues with “modern” Islam that are causing folks to do lots and lots of evil things to one another. Was this Mohammed’s intent? It’s quite irrelevant. That was fourteen hundred years ago. Today, you see the “Islamic State” killing infidels in horrific ways. You see the 9/11 attacks — and countless others — carried out in the name of Islam. You just don’t see that level of violent barbarity– to the level it exists in Islam — in any other major modern world religion.

It’s a problem.

• Oreberry
        • Jet Black

But a few hundred years ago plenty of that barbarity went on in the name of Christianity. Most major European cultures were involved all around the world. Look at what the French, English, Spanish, Italians all did in the name of the church. Now that more, so called, 3rd world countries are catching up, you’ll see more problems like this arise in those countries as different parts of religions fight for the power bases. It’s the reason more wars are fought because of religion than anything else.

• ZBA

The “crusader-like” Christians were wrong then and the Jihadi Muslims are wrong now. One difference is we live NOW. We can and should (and do) criticize that “crusader-like” Christianity … are we thus bigots ? No, we are critical of wrong behavior.

• Robert Betts

AWESOME.

• Robert Betts

AWESOME.

• http://pislamonauseacentral.tumblr.com/ Gary Rumain

So the defensive Crusades were wrong, were they? How do you figure that?

• ZBA

Gary, I didn’t say the Crusades per se (some of which could probably be considered defensive), and I apologize for any misunderstanding. When I wrote “Crusader-like” I meant things like (here’s a quote from Wiki): The crusaders often pillaged the countries through which they travelled in the typical medieval manner of supplying an army on the move. Nobles often retained much of the territory gained rather than returning it to the Byzantines as they had sworn to do.[9][10] The Peoples’ Crusade prompted Rhineland massacres and the murder of thousands of Jews.

• Jet Black

Oh wow! Yeah make the obvious statement to get lots of ‘ups’. You totally missed my point about religious powerbases…which is what it is really all about as the different factions fight among themselves and form splinter groups. This leads to the ‘fighting’ locally and then spreading outwards to try and dominate with their doctrine.

• ZBA

Jet Black – I am also against religious wars and terror. Perhaps there was a disconnect here. I agree that the Christians who used religion to murder and steal were wrong. I state that the Jihadi-type Muslims are doing it … now.

• Bob

Bullshit. Islam is a collection of ideas. Bad ideas. Muslims are people that believe in those ideas to one degree or another. To criticize the holding of those ideas is perfectly reasonable. Muslims are NOT a race and membership, while often forced, isn’t inherent. It is reasonable to criticize them for PRECISELY the same reason it is reasonable to criticize a Democrat, a Republican, a liberal and a conservative. There is NO functional difference.

• Malby

No, he does not. What’s “bigoted” about stating facts and calling members of Islam to reject the principles of violence that do exist in the Koran?

• Tovena Dan

What’s wrong about stating facts and calling Israel to reject the principles of violence that exists in their culture?

• Tony

I’d like to know why Muslims can’t, or won’t differentiate between a race and a religion? Islam IS NOT a race!! Get a clue!

• vet2be1973

How is he being a bigot, for speaking the truth about what the majority of muslims worldwide openly say they believe, and by speaking the truth about what goes on in muslim nations?

• Tovena Dan

There are plenty of “mean things” said against Palestinians as well. Even the thinnest pancake has two sides M200. And yes, “they” can invite such supporters. It’s called free speech. I would hope students graduating from U.C. Berkeley would know that by now.

• M2000

So why not Bill Maher? Oh wait never mind he doesn’t count as free speech.