Philanthropic foods: good food and a good cause

sliver.LEYA
Leya Andrews/File

If you’re a UC Berkeley student, then there are probably few things that you like better than good food and a good cause. When you can find quality food that also allows you to give back, that’s when the real magic happens. So we’ve compiled a list of foods that all have some philanthropic aspect to them — meaning that at least some percent of the proceeds will benefit various charities or philanthropy projects. Eating these foods will give you double karma, filling your body with positivity and spreading the good vibes throughout the greater community and beyond.

unnamed-1

Rachel Feder/Staff

Endangered Species Chocolate
What it is: Endangered Species Chocolate is likely the best chocolate you will have in your lifetime. It comes in a variety of flavors, both milk and dark. The company recently launched a creme-filled line of chocolate, featuring flavors such as sea salt and lime or almond butter creme-filled chocolate bars. The company prides itself on its ethically sourced chocolate and is Rainforest Alliance-certified and gluten-free. Select products are also U.S. Department of Agriculture-certified organic, free of genetically modified organisms and vegan.

What it does: The company donates 10 percent of the net profits from each purchase to conservation efforts to save endangered species, preserve habitats and support other humanitarian efforts. The company’s current partners are the African Wildlife Foundation and the Xerces Society.

Where to get it: http://www.chocolatebar.com, Whole Foods, Andronico’s Community Markets

DSC_0370-1

Sam Engel/Staff

Berkeley Student Food Collective

What it is: The Berkeley Student Food Collective is a cooperatively run source of ethical, local and sustainable food for UC Berkeley students. The BSFC strives to provide the community with food that is fresh and affordable, providing an alternative to the mass-produced food that many college students would otherwise consume. It also aims to educate students on how to eat sustainably and healthfully by providing information on the subject on the education tab of the group’s website.

What it does: Companies like SolidariTEA, Rescue Chocolate, Schoolyard Chocolate, Newman’s Own and Dig Deep Farms all strive to give back to their respective causes and communities. Their products are all available at the Berkeley Student Food Collective and help to support a sustainable, innovative new way to eat and give back.

Where to get it: 2440 Bancroft Way

PIZZA_MDrummond

Michael Drummond/Staff

Sliver
What it is: A pizza place based off the Cheese Board Collective model. Sliver was started by three Cheese Board veterans as a way to provide quality pizza made with local ingredients. They offer one pizza per day that is always a white pizza and is always vegetarian. Sliver recently started offering delivery.

What it does: At the end of each year, 10 percent of the restaurant’s profits are donated to philanthropic organizations — specifically those that work to aid survivors of human trafficking and stop human trafficking. In the past, Sliver has worked closely with Motivating, Inspiring, Supporting and Serving Sexually Exploited Youth, Not For Sale, Bodies Not For Sale and Living Hope. They also hold quarterly educational meetings to inform the employees further about the horrors of human sex trafficking.

Where to get it: 2132 Center Street

If any of these places are too far out of the way for your busy schedule to accommodate, think about grabbing your next meal, treat or snack on Sproul Plaza. The countless student groups that table there every single day are always selling food items in support of their own organization or club or in support of a philanthropic foundation. For a few dollars, you’ll be able to get something yummy and give back. The best part will be the smile on your fellow student’s face when, instead of ignoring them and walking by, you take a minute to support them and learn about their cause.

Contact Rachel Feder at [email protected].