Jesse Arreguin, running unopposed, re-elected to City Council for District 4

(cropped) Jesse Arreguin_MDrummond

Incumbent City Councilmember Jesse Arreguin was re-elected in this year’s unopposed District 4 election. This will be his third term in the position.

District 4 encompasses the residential neighborhoods north of University Avenue and west of Martin Luther King Jr. Way, as well as the commercial districts of Downtown Berkeley and Shattuck Avenue.

According to Anthony Sanchez, Arreguin’s chief of staff, Arreguin ran opposed in 2010, when he faced three other candidates. In 2008, Arreguin was the first Hispanic to be elected to council and the youngest council member elected in city history.

Without a challenger this year, Arreguin said he focused his efforts on other progressive candidates and ballot measures.

“The past few days, I have been actively involved in those campaigns, and I am trying to get those different campaigns across the finish lines,” he said on Election Day.

Arreguin’s campaign had raised funding in the event that a challenger contended for the seat. Still, Sanchez said it was “unfortunate” that no one filed candidacy because District 4 “missed out on that lively debate.”

Sanchez said Arreguin’s campaign has collected $8,035 for the campaign, which has been used to publicize the incumbent for the election as well as fund a campaign manager and a consultant.

“We used some of our funding to get Jesse’s name out there, to let people know he is a council member and he is still working,” Sanchez said. “You would be surprised that if you ask people on the street, most don’t know their council member.”

Arreguin said he is looking forward to working on affordable housing, Downtown revitalization and environmental issues in his upcoming term.

Arreguin said he is “definitely considering” running for mayor after this four-year term on City Council.

Contact Robert Tooke at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter @robertono_t.