Campus Shared Services gets new leader, aims to tackle criticism

CSS_KarinGoh
Karin Goh/Staff

Last month, Peggy Huston — former director of the Operational Excellence Program Office, or OEPO — began serving as chief operating officer of Campus Shared Services, or CSS, a campus efficiency and staff realignment program.

Huston replaced Thera Kalmijn, who stepped down after two years. The program aims to streamline services from areas such as finance and human resources across multiple campus departments. Nonsupervising staff who reported more than half of their work as “shareable” were relocated to an off-campus center.

CSS is part of a larger initiative, Operational Excellence, which began in 2009 to reduce costs and generate revenue by improving administrative efficiency in the face of state budget cuts. Due to its aim to save $75 million in administrative expenses annually, the initiative faced criticism for laying off and relocating staff.

Vice Chancellor for Administration and Finance John Wilton said Huston was chosen based on her familiarity with campus operations and experience in CSS’s early design. One of Huston’s top priorities will be improving customer service.

“With her knowledge and expertise, we are confident that she can tackle CSS’ challenges and improve service,” Wilton said in an email. “CSS will focus heavily on standardizing and simplifying processes, making it easier for the campus to get things done.”

CSS is also updating CalTime, a system that records employee work hours. CalTime will be switching to a web-based format that replaces current methods, many of which are paper-based and prone to error, Wilton said.

“It’s possible this new leadership will be very helpful,” said Christine Rosen, vice chair of the UC Berkeley Faculty Association. “But it’s also possible that this could be a costly interim process that would require structural changes and innovations that will be very difficult.”

In a campus memo Tuesday, administrative officials acknowledged CSS’s communication and training shortcomings. Yet, the OEPO is still on track to meet its annual $75 million savings goal, and campus officials are optimistic the initiative can improve efficiency.

“(The memo) … suggests that the problems are smaller than I really think they are,” said Academic Senate Chair Panos Papadopoulos, who conducted a recent survey of faculty opinions of CSS that garnered “overwhelmingly negative” responses. “We all want to save money on administration costs. But the current state of affairs is flat-out unacceptable.”

Faculty raised concerns that the ongoing staff realignment could reduce funding for research and displace vitally needed staff, according to Rosen. These fears have been exacerbated by a perceived lack of communication on the part of CSS, she said.

“If (OEPO) want to have faculty participate in more positive, collaborative ways with them, they’ll have to be more transparent about what (the) actual problems are,” said Rosen.

CSS currently serves about 75 percent of the campus and will be fully implemented by early 2015.

Contact Alex Barreira at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter @abarreira_dc.

A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that CSS will be fully implemented in January. In fact, it will be implemented in early 2015.

• Hank Chapot

At the roll-out of Caltime this week, a fingerprint required time clock, a good third of the gardeners could not sign in, even after heading down to Physical Plant to try and work it out. Don’t know what happened later in the week. This electronic time clock pushes more work downward onto supervisors and employees, but it most assuredly made money for the vendor.

• Nunya Beeswax

You have to wonder whether Jeannine Raymond owns stock in that vendor…

• Nunya Beeswax

There’s more to criticize than layoffs and reassignments.

CalTime has been implemented without being thoroughly researched and worked out : the campus has a program called ERIT (Employee Reduction in Time), which allows employees to voluntarily cut their hours–and therefore their pay–while still continuing to accrue leave time according to their full-time appointment. It’s a way of giving employees flexibility and saving the university money at the same time. But when ERIT time off is entered into CalTime, it’s counting as paid time. This means that employees on the program will be overpaid until the university finds some way of fixing the error. Considering the glacial pace at which things get fixed around here, who knows how much overpayment will be taken out of people’s checks.

Shared Services is also moving all the HR employees down to Riverside. So the days when we could walk to the HR office for a consultation about retirement or insurance benefits are over; we will now have to ring up a call center for HR issues.

All IT personnel are being moved to a 4th St location in Berkeley. In other words, off campus, where it will be much more difficult for them to come and repair or set up equipment, trouble-shoot problems with software, etc.

Bain Consulting was paid millions of dollars to come onto campus and suggest that a non-profit educational institution adopt practices from for-profit business. It remains to be seen whether any of these changes will actually have a positive impact on UC’s bottom line; in the meantime, they are destroying morale on this campus and making the work of employees more difficult as they spend more and more time on dealing with an increasingly remote bureaucracy instead of doing the work they were hired to do.