Yes, you pump-CAN: vegan pumpkin bread

clog.pumpkin.fossum
Rich Bowen/Creative Commons

Fall is certainly upon us: We can walk to class without regretting wearing a jacket, we no longer have to switch over to iced coffee when the day heats up and, most notably, it’s officially pumpkin season. For those of us who still haven’t tossed out our maggot-y pumpkin remains of Halloween, here’s a recipe to make use of our surplus squash! Or, better yet, let’s use up that extra can of pumpkin puree from last Thanksgiving when we told ourselves we’d bake a pie … and didn’t. But pumpkin isn’t only for pies and lattes — this versatile vegetable can improve a wide array of dishes. Our favorite way to polish off a pumpkin is undeniably by baking it into a delicious baked treat.

This recipe combines all the hearty and nostalgic flavors of fall with a fresh vegan spin. This is Berkeley, after all. And what better way to spend a crisp autumn morning in this environmentally minded city than with a fat slice of warm, vegan pumpkin bread! Side note: Our little ode to fall pairs nicely with a steamy cup of fair-trade coffee and our wealth and poverty homework.

Ingredients:

– 1 “flax egg” (1 tablespoons flax meal + 3 tablespoons water)

– 1 12-ounce can of pumpkin puree

– 1/2 cup almond milk

– 3/4 cups brown sugar

– 2 cups flour

– 1 teaspoon baking powder

– 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

– 1/4 teaspoon salt

– 1 teaspoon cinnamon

– 1/2 cup chopped pecans

– 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips

Directions: 

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two loaf pans.

2. After mixing flax and water, let sit it for five minutes. Then, beat in the remaining wet ingredients (pumpkin, milk and sugar).

3. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon

4. Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing throughout.

5. Fold in the pecans and the chocolate chips.

6. Let it bake in the oven for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out dry.

clog.pumpkin.fossum

Image source: Shelley Bernstein