Authorities execute search warrant in South Berkeley in relation to fatal shooting

The East Bay Regional Park District Police Department executed a search warrant in South Berkeley early Thursday morning in connection with a fatal shooting Oct. 28.

The operation in the 1500 block of Harmon Street, which started at 5 a.m., was organized by the parks police department. More than 15 police officers were involved in the search, according to Sgt. Tyrone Davis, who said the search lasted about two hours.

Residents reported the disturbance on Twitter, saying that police used flash grenades.

They also reported hearing loud gunshots, but according to a Berkeley Police Department statement about the search warrant, the reported noise disturbance was unrelated. Davis said that a megaphone was used to announce the search warrant.

The search warrant was served in connection with a murder that took place in the area of Sea Breeze Market and Deli in West Berkeley — the third homicide in Berkeley this year. The victim was identified as Damarco J. Thomas of Stockton, California, but police did not say whether a suspect has been arrested.

Davis said items were recovered during the search that were helpful to the investigation, but because the investigation is ongoing, he did not release any more information.

Katy Abbott covers crime and courts. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @katyeabbott.